Mood Disorders Expert Forum
Use of Haldol as a treatment for alcohol withdrawal

Welcome to the Mood Disorders Forum. Questions in this forum are being answered by Peter Forster, MD and topics covered are anxiety, bipolar, depression, panic disorder, post traumatic stress disorder and stress.

My son is an alcoholic.  He is a seasoned drinker - He is currently suffering for chirosis of the liver and kidney problems.  His recent medical problem appears to be an infected Gall Bladder.  My question is that with this hospital admission, he has been placed on a number of drugs in preparation a pending gall bladder operation.  However, his withdrawal has been very long (over 8 days) and he has been placed on 2.5 mg of Haldol medication.  Apparently he has been given this medication since 10/6.  I am a former Mental Health case manager and I am very familiar with the use and over-use of this powerful medication.  It can have long term efffects and is used generally for chemical control.  I have objected to the introduction of this medicine - and I am now seeking medical advice.

Please respond.  

Thank you.
I too would be concerned and would question the decision to use an anti-psychotic.  Isn't this broken down in the liver?
I would also suggest posting in the addictions community forum (at least until you get feedback from the doctor).  People there may be able to share with you their experiences.
Have you had any additional feedback?  How is your son now?