Neurology / Neurosurgery Expert Forum
17y.o. Female Newly dxed with cidp 10/10

This Neurology & Neurosurgery forum is for questions and information regarding Rheumatoid Arthritis Neurology & Neurosurgery conditions and symptoms. All questions will receive a personal answer from a medical expert.

Athletic swimmer female with no contributing factor dxed with cidp in Oct. first relapse 6wks later.  Wants to swim in college.  Who is the expert?  Where should we go?  Responds very well to Gamma gard.  Should we just start monthly treatment? Overwhelmed by diagnosis and how quickly muscle weakness progresses.  Placed 8th in nys state meet last year wants to keep competing at that level is it possible? We need resources.  Thank you
Dear Friend,
I presume that the CIDP mentioned here means - Chronic Inflammatory Demyelinating Polyneuropathy.
Well if the response is good with the Gamma gard, then it should be taken on a positive note and the treatment should be continued with the same doctor and his advice be followed properly.
Please note that the doctor patient understanding is very important in the management of this disease as it's an autoimmune disease.
I hope you understood my point. Please continue with the treatment. Physiotherapy also forms an important part of the treatment.
Do let me know, if there is a specific concern , you want to discuss.
Regards.
Thank you so much.  She does have the cidp as you spelled out.  Can she go right back to her level of swimming?  Can she push herself as a competitive swimmer?  How many 17 year olds get this?  Should we expect this to return again in about 6 wks?  Should we just start regular sessions of the Gamma Gard?  We love our neurologist but she has not had a young pt. with this yet. We are looking to see what is best for her as she had coaches recruiting her for college swimming.  Is this possible?  Again thank you for your time.  Sincerely, Katy Macdonald (mom)