Neurology / Neurosurgery Expert Forum
chronic pain since rear end collision in 2005

This Neurology & Neurosurgery forum is for questions and information regarding Rheumatoid Arthritis Neurology & Neurosurgery conditions and symptoms. All questions will receive a personal answer from a medical expert.

I'll try to be as brief as possible and you can ask me if more info is needed. I was in a rear end collison in 2005. Saw the car coming and braced myself before impact. All spinal mri's and xrays only showed minor "degenerative changes". Since then have been to PT almost non-stop - though didn't start until a few months after accident. Have seen neurologist, orthopedic surgeons, chiro, reumatologist, pain clinic, cardiologist, and probably other docs I can't remember. Since accident I had neck and left shoulder pain typical of whiplash - never got better with PT - also went through a period of severe headaches and some dizziness which did eventually go away I believe with chiropractic treatment. About 6 mos after accident, had sharp pain in my left side around where the ribs end and up to the underneath of my left breast. Went to ER for cardiac eval -have had stress test, halter monitor, ekgs,all kinds of bloodwork. also EMG testing on left arm and leg - MRI's of left shoulder and brachial plexus, CT and MRI of brain.  Have had a constant dullish pain in that area and including upper chest, underarm, shoulder and bicep area, tingling in left fingers and pain in hand at times, pain in left thigh and groin area and left shin. Some days, I have had sharper pains again- been to Er many times. docs believe it is not cardiac related. sometimes worse if I move certain ways but not always. have taken anti inflammatories none of which have helped. muscle relaxer helped some Vicodin a bit. The thinking seems to have been that it is muscular and perhaps the muscles were compensating for injuries in shoulder, hence shoulder surgery. For 2 mos after surgery I was free of pain. but it all came back the same if not worse than before.

Also have random sharp little stabbing pains in different areas of my body

appreciate any thoughts or suggestions - have tried to seek second opinion but no one seems to want to see me - Out of space to type more
Thanks so much,
Lauren
Dear Lauren,
Well i have seen many cases, where the investigation reports are just about normal but the person suffers from many vague problems and co-relating the events become really difficult.
I would suggest you , not to meet any new doctor and give yourself a time off. Else too many opinions will result into gross confusion, related to the treatment to be followed.
Whiplash is a condition which can't be diagnosed at all via few investigations and treatment is only rest. So i hope you have fully recovered from it.

I would ask you to just go for nerve medicines (Vit b-12,cyanomethcobalamine, alpha lopolic acid, etc) , nothing else is required presently.

Please discuss with me, if there is some confusion / clarity required.

Regards..
So do you think that my symptoms are indeed neurological? Perhaps a special diet could help? The whiplash occurred over 5 years ago so I am not sure if this was caused by it or not or just a coincidence
Thanks - I already had surgery on the shoulder though so I imagine they would have detected it.
Are you having the same symptoms aside from the shoulder? I know I wish I had started PT sooner after the accident - not sure if it would have helped or not - but couldn't hurt considering how i feel now. I hope you can get it diagnosed and taken care of. I go to the pain clinic again tomorrow - after not seeing them for about a yr - hopefully they will have some suggestions
Thanks for the reply. Yes, since you had shoulder surgery, they should have detected a SLAP tear. Let me tell you a little bit more of my boyfriends accident. He was coming home from work, and his boss was driving. They stopped for a school bus, and the girl in a car behind them failed to stop. So, their truck was also rear-ended. I also tried to brace myself with my left arm. I am having numbness, and tingling in my left arm, weakness, a collapsed vein near my elbow in the inside, and my forearm on the left has 3 indentations, like muscle disfigurement. I have no idea what it is or what is causing these symptoms. If you can go to my profile page, you can see a picture that I posted. So far, since Nov. 2009, when my accident happened, I have had several MRI's on my cervical, thoracic, and lumbar spine, and it shows degenerative changes, a protuding disk narrowing the spinal canal, bulging disks, is several places. I had also had an MRI and Arthrogram on my left shoulder. The syptoms (symptoms) of my left arm are now going to the right arm as well. I have seen a Orthopedic and at the end of this month, I will see a Neurologist. I think that part of the problem in my shoulder is bursitis, because the report says, "mild subdeltoid fluid is seen," and this causes a burning pain. But, my pain also goes into my chest under the left breast. This is what scares me. I don't know what it is yet. I have large bumps or bulges on my back the size of a fist, and they are red in color, and itch. The hospital told me it was a pulled muscle, I don't know for sure.
One other question that I had for you was, is your insurance company covering all medical bills, as long as it is pertaining to the accident? Do you have to get a lawyer?
Above, when I used the work I, I was speaking for my boyfriend. I forgot to mention that he had blurred vision, pressure (not headaches) in his head, and dizziness also. He also loses his balance when walking, and I think that it is due to a bulging disk that is "flattening the spinal canal." He often drops things with his left hand. There is tingling and numbness in his left hand, and pain.