Aa
A
A
Close
10 th vagal nerve on left side of the neck removed
do we have vegal nerves on right and left side of the neck.  On left side  of the neck  a tumor attached  to the vegal nerve is surgically removed. Also vegal nerve is SACRIFICED,  What are the side affects of this surgery.  Does the right side vegal nerve takes over the functions of the left vegal nerve. Presently my voice is hoarse. Will it improve
gradually? Also swallowimg food is difficult. Will this improve? What are the long run side effects of this surgery.?

Ranga

This discussion is related to Vagus nerve damage?.
Cancel
2 Answers
Page 1 of 1
Hi there. The vagus nerve damage can affect various functions at different levels. Problems with one’s voice due to vocal cord nerve supply, difficulty in swallowing and a reduced gag reflex. Partial of complete hearing loss due to external ear and drum nerve supply, increased heart rate and blood pressure if both branches are damaged due to sympathetic overdrive. Muscles of esophagus lose tone and causes difficulty with food entering esophagus if the vagus nerve is damaged. Constipation and bowel impaction and inability to void urine. Consult a physician with these speculations. Take care.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Thanks for your response. Vagus nerve on left side of the neck is sacrificed while removing
a benign tumor. My question is will vagus nerve on the right side of the neck gradually takes over the functions of removed vagus nerve?  What are the disabilities of removing  the left side vagua nerve.Will there be improvement in speach and  swallowing functions? Will my stomach will be normal? kindly let me know.
                                                                                  Ranga123456

Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Submit Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Neurology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488 tn?1310696703
Blank