Abnormal EMG..Do polyphasic MUPs point out to ALS??
I am having various complaints for the last 1 year. During this time i had 3 EMGs and 2 MRI
( cranial,servical,lumbar)..All clean.But I had my last EMG last week(4th) and the Emg report says that I have long duration polyphasic motor units in my lower extremeties during long time voluntary movement.(mainly left leg) No other signs.NCV s are normal, too..I

am having a bad fatigue in my left leg especially above my knee for one month.also my legs ache and burn with a type of numb feeling.I am having aching and burning sensation in all my muscles but left leg is the worse.sometimes left leg gets fatigued just after standing for 10 seconds.there is weakness in left foot but did not prevent me from walking until now.feels like it would drop.Also the weakness seems to be progressive.

Emg report also notifies that there is something which is pointing to a chronic neurological condition going in leg muscles but docs tell they don't know what it means for now.I am lucky to contact 4 neuros for my Emg report and they all told me that the findings are not MEANINGFUL?? for a disease to identify.So what is it?? I am about to lose my mind..Some docs telling me it would be good to repeat the emg and others don't!! They mostly do not seem concerned but they also tell me that follow up is necessary..

I have 3 questions:

1) Does my last EMG report which showed chronic neurogenical findings (including polyhasic motor unit potentials in my legs point out to early stages of ALS?( No fibs or PSWs)

2) I have my thyroid removed last year and on thyroxine daily. I also have FMF and using colchicine. Is there a chance that they would cause a myopathy?

3) I get twitches and cramps all over esp. at night and after movement and strecthing. Does it mean anything?

Docs do not seem worried as much as me.But the weakness in left leg progresses non stop and i am so anxious.

So I would really appreciate any reply. Thank you.
hi,

my symptoms are the same as yours and i too have had one clean emg and one "dirty" one which showed polyphasic mups. the doc attributed it to l5 l4 nerve distribution but my spine mri was clean. all neuros are saying it does not indicate als but i am unsure. i too get twitches all over and my right leg is feelign achy when i walk.
there is no objective weakness. i feel at a loss and i dont know wht to do .  i have slight tingling of my second toe ( the one next to the big one) in my right leg... and i hope that points contrary to als. i am only 20 and female..
hi,

we have so much in common..especially our emg findings are the same...please respond if you still control your posts here..