Amnesia from fear or fall?
A week ago I had an accident while riding my scooter (similar to a motocycle).  I took a corner too fast while scanning traffic, and ran into a construction zone lane divider.  My last memory is of the intense fear that even though I was able to stop the scooter, a car might not stop in time and run me over. I do not remember falling or the events after that.  I woke up briefly in the ambulance (with no memories of that morning), for a moment in the CT scanner, and then in the ER cubicle when my husband came in.  I remained awake after that and slowly regained my memories of the morning up to that moment of fear.  According to the hospital records, the paramedics said I seemed confused and the doctor who examined me reported that I was alert, awake and oriented times three.  That surprised me.  Apparently I was responding to them, but I have no memory of them.  My left shoulder took most of the fall.  I did hit the side of my head, but I was wearing a helmet and have no visible head injury or headache.  I believe I brought the scooter to a stop because I was wearing shorts and have no scrapes on my legs, only bruises, but I do not remember the fall and wonder why I didn't put my feet on the ground to stop from falling.  My question is, did I black out from the fear and then fall over, or did hitting my head cause me to black out?   My husband says hitting my head must have knocked me out.  I think my mind shut out the scary event and then came back when I felt safe.  Which is more likely?
I have suffered with memory loss for many years and I could not see any scars from head injury. And now with memory recall I can see some scars. And which is more likely, black out from hit to the head and your mind shut off from fear, these are happening together to help you with healing.