Neurology Community
Amnesia from fear or fall?
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Amnesia from fear or fall?

A week ago I had an accident while riding my scooter (similar to a motocycle).  I took a corner too fast while scanning traffic, and ran into a construction zone lane divider.  My last memory is of the intense fear that even though I was able to stop the scooter, a car might not stop in time and run me over. I do not remember falling or the events after that.  I woke up briefly in the ambulance (with no memories of that morning), for a moment in the CT scanner, and then in the ER cubicle when my husband came in.  I remained awake after that and slowly regained my memories of the morning up to that moment of fear.  According to the hospital records, the paramedics said I seemed confused and the doctor who examined me reported that I was alert, awake and oriented times three.  That surprised me.  Apparently I was responding to them, but I have no memory of them.  My left shoulder took most of the fall.  I did hit the side of my head, but I was wearing a helmet and have no visible head injury or headache.  I believe I brought the scooter to a stop because I was wearing shorts and have no scrapes on my legs, only bruises, but I do not remember the fall and wonder why I didn't put my feet on the ground to stop from falling.  My question is, did I black out from the fear and then fall over, or did hitting my head cause me to black out?   My husband says hitting my head must have knocked me out.  I think my mind shut out the scary event and then came back when I felt safe.  Which is more likely?
Tags: amnesia, fears