Neurology Community
Anyone experience the removal of rods after spinal fusion?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

My daughter was involved in a car accident in Jan 05, she was 15 years old at the time, she had her L4, L5 fused, and was told she would be fine after she healed.  However she has been experiencing back pain, and her legs will not go straight out when in a sitting position, the doctor says that her hamstrings are tight, and she needs to stretch them out.  She has been doing stretch exercises for 2 years now with no sign of improvements, the pain is getting worse and she is getting cortisone shots in her back every 3 weeks, until she is scheduled for surgery to have the rods removed. Now she is starting to experience pain after the injections, she is 18 years old and misses so much school due to pain, does anyone have any suggestions
Well I don't know yet, but I will very soon. I shattered my back in oct 05 and had a spinal fusion. I got two screws in L4, two in L5 and two in S1, I also have two titanium rods connecting it all. After surgery I healed fairly quickly. I was doing laps around the hospital after 3 days, out in 6 and driving by the 9h day. I did 2 months of physical therapy and it didn't seem to help. I was actually deteriorating. It felt like my back was a very tight spring and i would be stuck in an arched over position for hours at a time until it loosened. I went back to my dr and he told me the hardware looks perfect. He sent me to a pain management dr to get a series of epidurals which didnt help at all. I am now living on oxycodone which I don't like. I was a police officer and as long as i'm on painkillers, i can't go back. But I can't go off the painkillers because then I won't be able to move. I finally saw a neurosurgeon, supposedly the best, but they always say that. He told me that my back has rejected the rods. It's very rare he says but it does happen. He said that the drs who say that the rods can't come out are wrong. I'm currently doing pre surgery testing. I'm probably going to have the procedure in about 2 months. However, and this is just my opinion. if he's wrong about this, i'll probably be making friends with a wheelchair fairly soon. But it's better than what I have now, which I can roughly describe as someone constantly punching you in the back 24/7. Sadly, all this and i'm just 28. I feel for your daughter, i really do.
Both your daughter and db1278 have had their rods in  longer then me but you both descirbe the same pain level i am at. In March of 2008 i was in the passenger seat when the vehicle i was in hit a large pole at 100km/h. My L5 vertabrae burst on impact as well as many other injuries. I went in for a back surgery once a was stable a week after the accident and they placed 2 titanium rods and six screws between L4 and S1 just like db1278 described. Its been a year now and ive been i constant pain ever since. I am 18 and have not been able to do a thing for a year but try and manage pain while attending reguar physio. Fortunately my doctor did make the decision to remove the hardware on May 5 so i will be able to let you know soon if the removal is for the better or worse. Good luck to you both!
My situation is very close to yours. I also had a car accident in July 04. I fractured C2, T7, and L2. I also crushed my pelvis, fractured my Right shoulder and fractured my Left ring finger. I'm very fortunate to be here today. I have pins and plates in my neck, nothing to T7 and I have been fused 2 above and 2 below L2. As of today, the pain is above and below my rod placement. I am consulting my neurosurgeon and we contemplating the removal of the hardware. He is consulting one of his colleagues. I am very interested in how you do with this procedure.
Hi my husband had an anterior fusion surgery about 5 years ago.  People told him if he had the surgery that he would feel better but it got worst he cant bend over every single day their is pain, he take vicodin but it does work at all he gets very depressed because of his situation.  The doctor told him that he had an option of removing the rods, that he does guarateed he will get better but that it was a possibility.  Has anyone had a spinal rod remove. please email me at ***@**** thank you
i have had spinal surgery three years ago and have had nothing but more and more pain , i live on pain killers now and when i do too much during the day or walk too much the area around the scar gets swollen and the pain goes into my hip and leg.  the doc thinks i may have to have the hardware taken out.  has anyone had this surgery and has it helped?

thanks,
jane
I had spinal surgery two years ago, I had it because I had serious back pain and ciatic nerve pain in my right leg.  The pain in my back and leg has dissappeared since I had the operation.  I hated like hell to take the painkillers, the pain management had me on Avinza (which is a derivative of Morphine), and fentinal patches (which is Morphine patches).  I went through serious withdrawal symptoms from the Morphine, (vomiting serious neaseau) for weeks on end til I was weened offa the painkillers at my pain management clinic.  I am not a fan of opiates either, cause you will definetely go through withdrawal symptoms from them!!  Believe me, it's like being in hell, going through the withdrawal from the painkillers.  If anyone knows if I can have these titanium rods removed from my spine in time, please let me know.  I heard the spine fuses together in time and you can have the rods removed. I don't know if this is ruight though.  My email address is ***@****. Email me if you have any answers to my question.  I will be waiting patiently for an answer.  I hope I helped someone with this information I have provided.  Now, someone please help me with an answer to my question.
I'am having my T8 - S2 instrumentation  taken out Jan 20 - I never have heard of removal and what about the integrity of the back - flopping around...  Surgery was done 16 months ago and having costant pain along paraspinous muscle - irritation.  Sure hope it works !
I had anterior/posterior fusion surgery from P1 to L4 in 2006. Cold weather definitely makes my pain worse. But, I am horseback riding again and working. We have a tenant who also had the same surgery I did, but many years prior to mine. A few years ago he had all the hardware removed and does feel much better. However, after the fusion he damaged his back again doing heavy lifting that he shouldn't have done in the first place, and also has hip damage. He is no longer working and is on permanent disability.
For the first year after my surgery I thought I had made a huge mistake and suffered major depression. I currently take 2 to 3 vicodin a day, alternating with ibuprofen. I am just beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel, especially now that I am able to horseback ride again. I do have less pain riding now than I did prior to the surgery. And, I'm finally starting to lose the weight I gained after the surgery. I'm 56 years old and have had serious back problems from my early 20's. Can't remember what it was like without back pain. I have 2 rods and 16 screws, and my surgery was about 14 hours.
I need dental implants and was looking up allergys (allergies) to them on here when I came across these posts. I hope this helps...
I had scoliosis spinal fusion in 1991 with two metal rods and various hooks placed on each side of my spine. Most of the spine was fused. I believe only the last bottom two are not.I started to feel like they were pushing out toward my skin and the doctor agreed to remove them in 1997. They had indeed gotten close to my skin and were irritating my shoulder blades. They also had a lot of bone fusion around them and the surgeon had to cut them out in small peices.
I have had NO problems since. Something the surgeon told me made a lot of sense- the rods are placed there to help stabalize and make the spine fuse. Once fusion occurs there is no need for the rods. The spine bone is strongly fused. Usually the rods aren't taken out because it would be another surgery so they are left in. However if there is a reason to take them out they no longer serve the purpose of stabalizing the spine to fuse. Spine's already fused. It's strong! Of course I had this fusion for several years before the rods were removed and it was clear the bone was done fusing. I would say if you've had the rods in for a while there should be no problem.  Again I'm not a doctor but my doctor did explain to me the uselessness of the rods once they have served their purpose.
After 16 years of severe localized back pain directly above my Harrington rods.  I finally found a doctor willing to remove my Harrington Rods.  Two days after the surgery, I felt the primary pain gone.  However, 1 ½ months later I have lots of pain from inactive muscles, but feel better every day!  I wish a doctor would have listened to my request 15 years ago!  My lesson, know your body and don’t stop even if three doctors say it’s expensive, not necessary or temporary pain.  I lived with pain for too many years, I stopped skiing and biking and almost all activity from pain experienced in fighting the rods mobility issue.  Hopefully, next seasons snowfall matches this year?  Two weeks after surgery, I road my hand bike and knew how much motion range (30%) and free movement was gained from the lack of big metal doctor sticks with spine clinching hooks in my back.  
if i wanted to have my rods and  pins removed after spinal fusion could i.... I just wana bend again its only been about a month but i need them out if someone knows anything call me at 8164610166 ask for cody please help me
i had my back fused together when i was 35 am now 51 and still have my rods i dont want to take them out because its a long surgery and a lot of downtime. it took 6 hours to put in dr told me it would take as long to take out. i hope i never have to have out, yes i have lots back ackes and headackes and shoulder pain but not sure its from the rods. think i rather keep the rods than go throught a major surgery. glad ya feel better after out.  how long was the surgery. did they take bone from hip and put with rods to hold it . i have all that.
hey, im 19 i had spinal fusion surgery about 2 1/2 years ago when i was 16 due to scoliosis.
like most people on here since the surgery ive been in CONSTANT pain since i got out of the hospitol. before the surgery i was never in pain. they told me if i didnt fix my spine, it would crush my heart and lungs.
well i asked my Dr if i would even bend again, i miss my freedom. its not gonig to happen my spine is fused together. even if they take the rods out, my spine is never going to bend again
To those considering having spinal fusion removed:  I just learned about a procedure called Kyphoplasty.  I too am looking into having my rods removed as well as having this procedure performed....I am angry that I was not informed of this procedure prior to my fusion!  

This pain has gotta go!
My brother and I really appreciate it if you keep us posted on your results after having Kyphoplasty...
did you have yours fused in an effort to remove pain or was it in result of an accident?

I think Kyphoplasty only really offers success for people who suffer general back pain.

also if you have the pins and screws removed what are they doing about the bone grafting that has also been used to fuse the vertebra, will they remove this also?

any info would be highly appreciated.

case  
Back fusions do not work > They are pushed by doctors for their big pay day.The more patients the more money for them and the hospitals > They do not inform u of the risks ,mobility issues .If we all knew exactly what we were getting into then we would not go ahead with this barbaric procedure
I had a spinal fusion on Dec 24 2009 and after reading this stories I didn't know you could remove the rods and screws. Ever since my surgery all I have had is pain and it has gotten worse to the point I have to use a walker and because I am a diabetic they keep telling me that it's only neuropathy. I am glad to hear that I'm not the only one that is going through this problem. I would really want to know if anyone knows any other web sites to find more information regarding this problem.
In Jan, 2010 I had spinal fusion and 2 rods, plates, screw's from a near fatal car accident.  The fusion took place, but the rods, I believe, are causing most of my debilitating pain.  They go from t3-t9.  They are so close under the skin you can actually see them.  I am contenplateing having the hardware removed.  I don't see ever being able to stop the narcotic's with them in there.  The original surgery took 5 hrs.  To remove them my neurosurgeon states it's more like 2 hours to remove everything and the healing time would be greatly shortened.  He states in 2 weeks I should be able to really tell a difference.  I am scared to do this 'more surgery' thing, but if I had a better quality of life then I'm for it.  Just looking for some people who have had their hardware removed and were they glad they did it.  Anyone, someone????
did you end up getting your hardware removed yet.... my specialist is saying that it's best for me to get them removes, but i'm like you and not sure bout more surgery type of thing... let me know...
Just had my rods removed last week and I'm healing quite nicely.  Largely from the shape i was going into the surgery.  Keep in mind i have had my rods for 5 years which was plenty of time for fusion to fully take effect.  I elected to have the rods removed due to the discomfort from the hardware and I wanted to be proactive with my health so I figure I get the surgery while I'm relatively young.  

Hope this helps; the biggest factor for me was my surgeon is excellent - so I had him perform it.
hi i have 2 rods and 4 screws, fixatio t12 -l2 from skydiving accident. i am lying awake in hospital and will have them removed in 4 hours.

exciting stuff
will let yu know hour i go. it hurt like hell when they went im, they stuffed up my pain medication and forgot to give morpheine, it ws hell, wish they killed me, happened in a skydiving accident.

can't be worse, have had metal in 16 months ,will keep u posted
okay I had a spinal fusion Feb 2010 and am seeking info about removing my 4 rods and other hardware to my L-4 and L-5 region. Im in pain! and hydrocodone not working. I was referred to a new pain specialist called Midwest Interventional Spine Specialist....Doc says Im addicted to pain pills and thinks I just need to stop taking them and return to my exercise level that I had in Army, which by the way is where I injured my spine like so many other soldiers. I have deep horrible pain in my tail bone and some above level of surgery, Im thinking the Dr's think I just want pain pills for no reason.....what is going on??? Its like a horror flick where no Dr will treat the pain and the injections done like the caudal increases the pain....Im lost!!! I want help!
I had a Lumbar Laminectomy with Fusion and a metal cage placed in the areas of L5 S1 in Jan. of 2009. After that surgery, I experienced problems with my right leg not feeling like normal. There seemed to be a loss of function and there was pain that constantly ran through my lower back area. I continued to see my spine specialists and they did MRI after MRI trying to see what the problems were stemming from. In the spring of 2010 I was finally sent for injections to try to releave the pain, but no success. I was sent again for injections a few months later but the dr who was to do the injections said that if the first set didn't work then he wasn't going to put me through the torture of doing more. In the fall of 2010, the spine doctors finally realized that the titanium bars that were placed, actually were pinching some nerves, most likely the cause of my pain. In Sept. of 2010 I underwent surgery to remove the titanium bars. I noticed about a week and a helf after that surgery that I still was getting more and more pain in the back and right leg. After yet another MRI the spine doctors noticed that I had formed a hematoma in the area of the L5 S1 so just 7 wks. after my Sept. surgery, in Oct. of 2010, I was under the knife AGAIN to remove that infection and formation of blood clots. During my stint in the hospital in Oct. of 2010, I was getting out of bed for the first time after surgery and realized that I had no use of my right leg at all. I had to drag my leg behind me while using a walker to be able to be moblie. As time passed and after many stints in physical therapy, I strengthened my right leg enough to be able to begin using a cane in the spring of 2011. All along I have lost more use of my right leg and gained more pain in my lower back. I am now entering into more surgeries to have a neural stimulator and an infusion pump to help me releave the pain and get me back being able to walk. As of the end of last week I have more or less been bed ridden because pain has gotten to be uncontrolled with all of the different medications I have been on for 17 months. I even had to call the ambulance and be admitted to the hospital for 2 days to get my pain at a level that I could be at home, but now I am back to not being able to be a part of my 4 childrens' lives. I hope that the doctors are able to get me walking again, because my life has been torn apart from all of this. I have been denied disability twice and have been waiting to see a judge since last May, which I am scheduled to see the judge this May. All I have to say is that I have had more problems since my first surgery in 2009 then I EVER imagined, and it has made it more of a reality to see that there are so many other people, the ones who have commented on here, that have gone and are going through what I am. I wish you all well in your journey through the spinal problems and every other area of your lives! God Bless!!  
I had a fusion L4-L5 with hardware and cadaver bone in 2009, since then I have had chronic pain radiating down my left leg and deep center of my back.
Iam to undergo removal of the hardware on Tuesday next as the surgeon suspects that the pain is caused by irritation of the nerves. I saw a specialist 2 weeks ago and he says my pain is from L5-S1 and that I need to have fusion in that area. How can 2 different surgeons have 2 different diagnosis? I need to have the existin hardware removed because everytime I bend the pain in L3-L4 is horrendous. I shall endevour to update you all on the outcome of the removal process and the pains from the newly diagnosed L5-S1 issue.
could u please email me ***@****  i had a spinal fusion done 4 years ago 2 rods and 8 screws now they need removed im wondering the healing time and also does your back get that dip back? my back has no shape now like its flat but does that curve come back again(i hope) lol
kimmyy1974 sorry I can't email you as your email has been removed. it's 10 days since my rods and screws were removed and the pain is almost unbearable. I'm bent over like a paper clip and have major trouble walking. the swelling is to great to discribe and I am having to use arm support srutches to get around. I also have a floppy right foot now and that wasn't like it before the hardware was removed. my advice is not to have the rods and screws removed unless you really need too. sorry I cant be of a positive help.
Hi, I had my Harrington rod removed 3 weeks ago and I have been searching for support from other people who are basically in the same boat as me, and I see there are a lot of people out there hurting with severe pain and disability (a true nightmare).  Since, you also had your rod out recently, I wanted to get in touch with you for support.

At 3 weeks postop, I thought the pain would be better than before the Harrington rod was taken out but instead the pain is worse at this time, and it is a real struggle to walk.  Pain and muscle spasms in thoracic and lumbar pain with pain shooting down my left leg, where it is a struggle to walk at times and knee pain.  I found out Medicaid will not pay for physical therapy and I do not see my surgeon until June 21st where they will take an AP x-ray and then if things are not better go through an MRI where he will probably want to do more surgery.  I am scared beyond belief and wanting to know what to expect.  My surgeon is 3.5 hours from me so I can't just drive over there and have to call in all problems to his secretary, so this further frustrates me.  I am on hydrocodone and Flexeril and feel like a zombie.  

I wanted to know how you are doing and if you have seen any improvement since you had the rod and hooks removed.

Thanks, Linda
Barb306,

I'm contemplating having the 2 rods removed from my L5/S1 fusion surgery and have a couple of questions:
  - was it in or outpatient?
  - recovery period?

Thanks.

John K.
I had my Harrington rod removed 3 weeks ago, and the pain that I have endured since it was removed has been wose than my worst pain experienced when I had the rod in (for 32 years).  As to how it will be later, after my 6 weeks postop period, I can't say.  I believe it is going to be a long, slow gradual process, and wish I had got a second or third opinion before I had this operation.  Make sure your rods need to come out before taking them out is my advice.  Get a second and third opinion.
Hi Linda,  Its is nine weeks since I had my rods and screws removed. I can report the pain is substantially less. But, I am experiencing increasing weakness and decreasing sensation in my right leg. I am now using a frame to assist me in walking and I have been measured for a wheelchair. I do not have the strength to lift my right leg when walking and I shuffle along like a victim of a stroke. Every step I take zaps my energy and I am limited to where I can go. I had another MRI and Friday June 1 and will know the results Friday June 8. I will post further news as it happens.
Thanks for responding to my message.  Could you e-mail me.  My e-mail address is ***@****?  I had some questions for you.  Good luck to you on your MRI results on Friday.  I am also glad that you have had some relief from your pain, although I am sorry that you are having to go to a wheelchair.  I hope it will only be temporary.  Hope to hear from you later, after you get your MRI results.  Thanks, Linda
Hi, As promised here are the results of my most recent MRI. It appears that after 3 spinal operations Scar Tissue is now to blame for my loss sensation and weakness in my right leg. The recent MRI 1/06/12 confirms right L4-5 paracentral enhancing material around the budding L5 nerve root. My Musculoskeletal Physician discussed the possibility of doing a right L5 transforaminal injection targeting it at the L5-S1 transforaminal space rather than L4-5 where the scar tissue is. I am unconvinced that having a transforaminal injection would be of any lasting benefit other than a possible reduction in pain for a temporary period.
I have 12 inch Harrington Rods since 9/2001 and was Diagnosed with Diabetes last November. (I had it for more than a year, but no health insurance to verify). Now I am on 2 Types of insulin and Victoza and my toes tingle and feel "tight" ALOT. I asked the docs if this was from my back or the diabetes and no one knows. Anyone know of a way I can find out? A test? A specialist to see? My Dad's cousin lost a leg to diabetes...I don't want to be next. I am overweight and rarely exercise, don't sleep without pain and sleep aids...
For a doc to say "It's only Neuropothy" is pretty scary since numbness can lead to amputation. I take oxycontin on the bad days (I had endometriosis in the past too...just had a hysterectomy, leaving one ovary that now is hurting me! ) Only 41...
Forget taking the rods out. What if the fusion breaks. I had small bones to begin with my surgeon said... better the pain and titanium insurance policy than a collapsed lung or broken spine... Screwed by screws either way.. .
Hi i had lower sergery (surgery) on my spine 6yrs ago i have been in pain ever since, i wonderd if you did have yours removed and what its like now. Ihave the option to have them out but my sergeon can give me no guaranteed that it will be better he also said thers a 60 persent chance i could be left paralysed from the waist down i have to make a dission by Jan 2013
hi, my name is jason. i was wondering how your whole back thing went? i broke my back 2 times in less than 10months apart. im very nervous, and was hopeing you could give me some advice?
I had rods in L? and had removed after a year and my back re-broke for no apparent reason or trauma.  I had to get them put back in and doctor refuses to take them out now.  I would remove again but follow nutritional regime to be sure calcification is complete.
I'm scheduled for hardware removal, ( C-2 > T-2 ) ,  Monday 1/7/,  I share my conserns with many of you,  I get very  little explanation from my doc., I do trust him though...wish you all good results, & keep in

ragneck
please tell me how you are doing w/ the removal..i am going to do the same but im not sure if i should
How have you got on since the removal?  I had my T11 to L1 fused 14 months ago and have been in severe pain ever since.  All the usual pain medication etc.  Am considering insisting on the removal of the screws etc but need some feedback
Peter
I just had two titanium rods ,cages and screws put in L4,to S1 just last July and no better I will be 56 this July any suggestions !!!!I'm no better can't bend constant pain !!!
I had a spinal fusion in 2009. I was 27 at the time. I have 2 Harrington rods and 27 screw. From t2 to l3. See I was told by my surgeon if I did not have the surgery I would die in five years because my scoliosis curve was so severe it was going into my heart and lungs. He also mislead me and said in six months I would be perfrect. It is almost four years later and I have to see a pain management doctor twice a month I'm on loads of pain killers and have to get steroids injection in my back monthly. I am always on pain. Its kind of depressing. I don't wish this on my worst enemy. I actullay had my physical therapist who was my age at the time cry cause when she saw me she knew I was mislead by the surgeon and knew I would never be the same. God bless all of you. I wish I could remove my screws and rod but I was told that is impossible.  
Did you have your rods removed and did it change your pain level. I had rods and screws put in 2 years ago and like you did fine at first. Then the complications began. My pain level is so high that unless I am medicated I can't hardly move and when I am medicated I don't feel in my body and am afraid of falling. I don't do well on the meds or off. At this point I can't see much use in living. My life has changed drastically for the worse and I see no help in sight.
Dear VMB,

Hello.   My name is Spencer.  I was curious whether you had the hardware removed from your lumbar spine back in 2009 and what the results of the surgery were.   I have a L1-L5 posterior spinal fusion due to a severe compression fracture  at L3 from injury and am contemplating removal also.

Thank you,

-Spence
I too had a spinal fusion for scoliosis. Most of my spine is fused. I had the surgery in 97. For over a year now I have not been able to work or do anything that I usually do bc of my back pain, which radiates down legs, arms and hips. I tried everything but at this point, I am not sure it is getting better. What was your post op procedures?how long did it take you to heal up, get back to walking, running,etc.. How do you compare it to the original surgery of having the rods put in? Thank you so much!
I have the rods too. And when I hurt which is very min I am up. It is right where the rods are. I want them out. I really do believe that my back hurts cause of them...Good luck on your surgery I hope it will work for you...
I am in the same boat. had a spinal fusion in 2009.i have had 42 surgeries, including 8 knee replacements, screws in shoulder, and hip surgery. I want to have the rods out, because I can't stand up straight. I feel for you, and not knowing what to do. I am on morphine, dilaudid, soma, Xanax, zanaflex. and I hate it. it is going to be so hard to get off of them, as I have been taking pain meds, ever since my waterskiing accident. I would like to know if taking the rods out, is going to be as bad as having them in.
I had spinal fusion in Oct 2010 without rods (L5-S1).  I specifically requested no rods to be put in but I do have a metal plate in the front. I do have some pain in the fusion site but it has gotten better in the long run. I found that by taking my nutritional intake and exercise very serious was a main key. I currently run between 10-15 miles per week, maintain strength training, and see a chiropractor on a weekly basis. I'm not pain free but I'm better and doing my best to strive for being pain free. One thing I know is if you want to be fat and lazy, there's no surgery in the world that's going to help. You need to take control. If its too late for you in your health with back pain associated with a painful fusion, then I suggest you become saved by Christ Jesus and seek healing. Read psalms 51, 103 and Isaiah 53 then go to a church that understands healing and hope for the best. I know one thing. If you think that a spinal fusion is going to take care of the pain without doing anything you are wrong! Your body can only adapt if YOU condition it to adapt - exercise weight loss strong core etc. it takes about 3-4 years to achieve best results and once you've reached the point of being able to excercise, 1 year of serious commitment, with a doctors / chiropractors supervision- it's a must. Take care everyone, I hope I helped.
JC
I had a spinal fusion and rod L4 S1 in June of 2011. I wish I never had this done, in pain everyday live on pain med which I hate! I have been told they can take the hardware out, but than what:( I'm 41 yrs old and full of energy! They tell me I'm not allowed to run,twist,bend. I'm suppose to live like a darn robot. I use to have my own painting& drywall business and I miss it so much!! So I moved to Florida about 2-3 weeks ago with my family n girlfriend. And I'm still
waking up in pain and throughout the day! I wanna scream!! I don't care what the docs say I'm starting my business back up n living life! And iam getting this rod out of my back! Prayers for everyone on here I know ur pain all too well!!
so sad to hear that. I actually was in a car accident and broke my back at 18 years old and had S1-L5 fused. I was unable to walk for weeks, and had to learn all over again. I was in the hospital for 3 months doing therapy. I have dropfoot in both foots so I am unable to life my ankle. I feel the exact pain you do and its nice to know I am not the only one out there experiencing this. I take norcos for pain and a muscle relaxer, but nothing takes it away fully. I feel you on the job thing too I am almost 23 now and if I work a 8hr shift im dieing so I can only imagine your position. I have been thinking about getting my rods removed as well and wanted others opinions, so good luck and please keep me updated on how it goes.
In June, 2012, I was admitted to the hospital with severs lower back pain. After an MRI it was determined that I had osteomyelitis. I was placed on Vanco and cubicin, and after 1 1/2 months, the pain became unbearable. Another MRI was done and I was informed my spine  from L1 to L5 was totally destroyed. I saw the images and immediately began to cry.
  I was 34, a carpenter, and knew after seeing the extent of the damage that I would never work again, and possibly never WALK again.
I underwent  a fusion, ( L1 - L5) and had two rods and approx 12 screws implanted immediately following the second MRI.
Two months later, while still hospitalized, my back became infected again, and once again my spine was opened up and manually drained, the antibiotics weren't effectively fighting the infection.
  All said, I spent 9 months in the hospital, was discharged, went to detox, and after two months of agony, decided to try suboxone as a pain killer. I used this medication for 14 months, until a month ago. I began experiencing severe pain again in my lower back, went to my local er, had an MRI, and was immediately transferred by ambulance to a hospital in Las Vegas where they were more equipped to handle my situation.
  After two days and, they recommended a CT guided drain, to remove some fluid from what they believed to be an abscess. I was also informed my hardware was incredibly infected.
During the drain procedure, (a 45min) procedure, apparently a piece of catheter broke off in my back, and after four hours looking for it, they revived me, gave me an hour to recoup, then put me under and began a six hour hunt for the missing piece of equipment. All said, I went in at eleven a.m for a 45min procedure, and came out of surgery 15 hours later... Not fun. Now, one week from my discharge, I've been informed that they want to remove the hardware from my back tomorrow, and they didn't give me much time to consider the ramifications of this decision. I've seen my vertebrae, they're mangled and ruined, and knowing I have the rods was comforting, and the thought of them not there to reinforce my damaged spine is disconcerting to say the least.
I'm 34 yrs old and quite honestly terrified. I will be having the removal tomorrow 5/19/14, should I decide to go through with it. I will inform anyone on this page with honest answers to genuine questions should they find themselves in a situation similar to mine.
Had a spinal fusion. Cadged with rod placement in 2997 the pain now is awful experiencing upper back pain also...has anyone had there Cage and rods removed..L1L2L34 S1s2.....I can not tke this pain sick of living on pain MEDS and pathes..any suggestions ??!Any ??