Neurology Community
Arachnoid Cyst

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Arachnoid Cyst

My 19 month old child was recently diagnosed with an Arachnoid Cyst after I noticed a boney bump on the right side of his head, just above his temple.  I have only heard the Radiologist's report from my pediatrition and I have since made an appointment with a Neurologist.  I am concerned because thus far it seems they are opposed to surgery, yet everything I've read has indicated that there is a chance for enlargement or hemorrhaging, which would cause permanent damage.  I'm desperate for alternate opinions and/or justification for not operating.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

How are you?
Arachnoid cysts are CSF filled sacs. They are usually developmental anomalies. Head injury and brain tumors can also lead to formation of arachnoid cysts.
There is an active debate on the management of arachnoid cysts. Generally if the cyst is small and not causing any symptoms it is left alone.
Previously shunts were placed in the cysts to drain the fluid. Now with microsurgical techniques, endocopic surgery is done to drain the fluid.
There is always a danger of progressive expansion of the cyst and hemorrhage. Please seek a second opinion on this. Do keep us posted!
Avatar n tn
My son was diagnoised with a left middle fossa arachnoid cyst in May since then we have been for a check and been told its nothing to worry about. He not to play any contact sports now. They dont tell you alot but you still worry and always will