Neurology Community
Bad cervical fusion

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Bad cervical fusion

First of all I am a 46 year old aT-10 Para of 30 years...I had disc compression at C-5/6 and 6/7 with weakness in the arms and underwent surgery where as I had cadavair bone fused into these areas and a Titanium plate with six screws implanted on July 28, 07 and have been in severe pain since....saw a spinal surgeon with the Steadman-Hawkins group that took x-rays and saw that the fusion didn't take and is sending me for a CT scan as well as an MRI with 1mm cuts to confirm his findings. He stated that I will have to have undergo another surgery whereas he will go in through the back of the neck this time and insert two rods and pins. My questions are as follows:

1:) what is the recovery time from a surgery where he has to go in through the back of the neck?

2:) I lost about 30% of range from the first surgery, will I lose more with this one?
I had ACDF in Nov 2006.  I had herniated disks C5-C7.  My surgery was exactly like yours. Since my surgery I am also in more pain, but all my test are good.  I had a myelogram done this past week and the results show that there is not yet bony incorporation of the fusion blocks, there is slight grade 1 anterolisthesis of C4 upon C5 by approximately 2mm.  There are anterior and posterior osteophytes at C5-C6 and C6-C7.  Some mild foraminal narrowing bilaterally, left greater than right, at C4-5 related to Luschka joint hypertrophy. Do you know what any of this means?  I am in constant pain.  I am now on Demeral.  The doctor acts like he can't understand why I'm in so much pain. He said that I had a bulging disk at C4-5, but when he did my surgery he didn't think it was bad enough to fuse.  I really think that is what is causing my pain.  My right shoulder and arm ache and burn like fire.  I have a headache all the time.   I'm so sorry your going to have to have another surgery.  I also have very limited movement of my neck, I am still afraid to drive because I can't turn my head well enough.  I've been out of work for almost 7 months, and this was a work injury.  Good luck, I hope everything goes well.