Neurology Community
Becker's Muscular Dystrophy

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Becker's Muscular Dystrophy

Hello -

I am being tested to see if I have the dystrophin gene because my male cousin has Becker's muscular dystrophy. My doctor thinks I might be a carrier with mild symptoms.  However, my cousin in my father's brother's son.  My understanding is that Becker's comes from the mother's gene. I am not a blood relative of my cousin's mother.  Is there any way I could have inherited this from my father's side of the family?  After reading up on this, I'm puzzled as to why I am being tested for it and wonder if the doctor misunderstood the family relation.

Thank you.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hi. Becker's muscular dystrophy is an X-linked recessive inherited disorder.  Males who manifest the disorder would get their X chromosome from their mother, so you're right in saying it comes from the mother's gene in your cousin's case.  For females to manifest the disease, both the father and the mother must have the genes for the disease. So you're also right in saying that you couldn't have inherited it from your father's side of the family, unless your father himself has it.  Maybe your doctor got confused about your family relation.
Does anyone know if "Agent Orange" could cause a disease very similar to Beckers Muscular Dystrophy? I do not have a family history of Muscular Dystrophy. I'm also looking for alternate treatments for my disorder. I was looking into stem cell treatment but the only one I found was in china and I'm far from rich but if anyone is interested its $25,000 for the treatment. The email for the lady I was communicating with is ***@**** and of course the web site is  www.beikebiotech.com.    or if anyone knows about getting a grant for medical help please post it.

I will probably start a prednisone treatment this thursday. I'm curious does anyone know about beckers being treated with predisone?