Neurology Community
Black eye and numbness

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Black eye and numbness

I recently got hit on the face (it was an accident). It was about 9 hours ago. Immediately after the injury there was a lot of blood coming from my nose. I went to the emergency room at a nearby hospital and they just gave me an ice pack.

What I didn't notice at the time was that the side of my face that got hit was numb at some parts. I can not really feel the right half of my lips and some of the teeth there (when brushing). My cheeks seem okay, a little numb too.
I also have a black eye now (the blood has pooled I guess).

Should I go back to the emergency room or will the numbness in my face go away in a few days?

Thank you.
Hi, it will take 2-4 weeks for numbness to go away, which is the usual time for nerve injury to recover. For pain, take anti inflammatory drugs for 3-4 days but avoid aspirin. Cold compression will help too. Please visit website http://www.emedicinehealth.com/black_eye/article_em.htm for more information

How long did your recovery take?
Almost this exact injury happened to me.  

Took a hard elbow to the eye playing hockey on Saturday.  Swelled up pretty quickly, but didn't realize it was numb until hours later.  

It's Tuesday and it is still numb 4 days later.  Just the left side of my face - mostly the left side of my nose and the left top part of my mouth (not so much my lip, but my teeth/gums).  Feels like I've had novocaine for 4 days.
I had a injury to the right side of my head and eye which has left a running bruise and numbness to my whole rite side even down to my lip top but not bottom and is mostly in high cheek bone and rite  side of nose..it all seems swollen a little bit but real firm. The bruise keeps running longer and I am real concerned that the numbness and tingling has been lasting almost a week.....what should I do?
I still have the numbness and the black eye underneath the right eye and the numbness to top right lip and right side nose it has been one whole week and no change it feels very aqward..