Neurology Community
Brain Calcification Questions

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Brain Calcification Questions

I had a CT scan done with and without contrast.  The following is in the radiologist report:

Prominent meningeal calcification is present on both sides of the midline near the vertex and a further more focal region of dense calcification lies on the left side of the superior sagittal sinus in the anterior parietal region and measures around 13mm in diameter .  It is likely that this represents a similar process to the more superior meningeal calcification rather than a parasagittal meningioma

I'd welcome any advice that could be given, especially as 3 years ago the MRI I had done had nothing apart from some sinus problems.

My local doc hasn't come across it before and has refered me to a Neuro, but I still have 8 weeks to wait for the appointment.

I do have a long history with migraines (dating back approx 20 years, am 42 now).
Mistyzzz
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Brain calcifications are caused by too much calcium or phosphorus in the blood or may occur due to calcification as a result of inflammation or damage to the particular site in the brain. Migraines may be the result of calcifications.  Brain calcifications may also result in Seizures and Parkinson’s disease. Please consult the neurologist for further discussion. Hope this helps you. Take care and regards!
Thanks for your reply, I'll be seeing my GP in about a week.  I'll see if she has heard back from the neuro she's refered me to.  If not, I'll just have to be patient and wait for the appt with him.

Just as a side note, I hadn't thought about the seizures bit.  I've been on an anti- seizrure med for a long time, the reasons have been both chronic pain and as a migraine preventative.  So it's probably got some use for this too.

I'll post what the Neuro does say, in case it might help someone else here.
Thanks again
Mistyzzz
hi,
3 months back i had some injury on my head, i had headache and dizziness since then, i had my CT scan done last week which showed no significant findings but there is an unusual cylindrical 5 mm calcification in the left 4th ventricle near the foramen of luschka which may be vascular or in the choroid. i just want to know is it really not significant or is it some thing serious?? because my doctor did not tell me properly what is it exactly...
hi my brother has been diagnosed with this condition. how are you ?
hope you can help I already lost one brother at 60 and this brther is not even 50 and I am so worried. thanks  
Hi bafs,

I'm sorry I didn't come back here and post what came of that docs visit.  I probably didn't as I didn't get any answers after it all. And am still none the wiser today.

I did get another CT scan 12 months after that original one and the only part of the report I was told was only that there had been no progression.  So I'm still in the "don't know" basket.  I really don't know anything else since then.  I wish I did.

An extra thing is a lot of what is happening can be attributed to being part of a heimeplegic migraine thing.    I don't know if the change from classic with aura migraines to most of them being hemiplegic ones can be attributed to the calcifications or not. I wish I knew.  

I've had quite a lot of googelng (probably wasting too much time on it) and haven't found any answers either.  With the size of the web, it's surprising both of us (and obviously there has to more people looking for similar things) haven't come up with any answers yet.  

I hope you find out some relevant info that his doctors find useful.  If I come across anything related to it all I'm going to try to remember to come back here and post it.