Neurology Community
Burning numbness in right leg only

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Burning numbness in right leg only

I have achondroplasia which is a form of dwarfism, and most everyone with this has spinal stenosis.  I have it in both my lumbar and cervical spine.  My lumbar spine only causes a problem with excessive walking and is always relieved by rest.  Over the past two years I started getting numbness in my hands and fingers just when i bend my neck backwards.  Then last summer I started getting this burning, or stinging feeling all over my right leg.  There is a little numbness with is, and it seems to always be worse at the end of the day.  I am scheduled for a laminoplasty at the end of march because i have an area of demylenation at C5 that has been steady, but in order to avoid numbness and tingling in my arms and hands I have to restrict everything that i do.    
My question is, do you think that this burning could be coming from my cervical spine, even if there is not burning in my arms or constant numbness or tingling.  the burning in my leg is almost always there, and just gets worse as the day goes on.  I have had one neurologist tell me it's not possible for it to be from my neck, and two spine surgeons tell me it is.  Also this last guy i went to said it could be coming from foramen magnum stenosis that my mri is also showing, but again everyone with achondroplasia has this and I haven't had any problems with this my whole life.  Although he's sending me to yet another neurologist to make sure I have enough room there or if a decompression at that level isn't necessary as well.  The laminoplasty so far is just for c2-c6.  
I'd appreciate any advice.
-7 Comments Post a Comment
I have always been told that the cervical disks effect your spine and nerves to a certain point then the thorasic disks come next and also effect the nerves down to a certain point. It is the lumbar and sac??? disks that would affect your legs. Usually it is the L5 S1 that takes most of the weight of your body there for gets injured the most or the fastest. It's only my best guess that it is either L4 L5 & S1 area involved in your leg pain & numbness. I hope that helps you in talking to the doctors and I pray that your upcoming surgery etc. goes well for you.
I just ran across some interesting info. that I know has explained what a doctor has told me but you may also get something out of it.Go to address area and type    sijd  It may explain some of your health problems.