C1 vertebrae fracture
Long story short, I fractured my C1 vertebrae in a car accident back in July.  I was in a Miami J for 13 weeks.  I did not require surgery and I have been in physical therapy for about 2 weeks now, slowly regaining my flexibility/strength.  Everything seems to have healed fine and all the tendons/ligaments held up fine with no severe damage which would require surgery and the vertebrae stayed completely stable during healing.  My doctor says I should not participate in contact sports anymore, I dont play football or wrestle but I do snowboard, mountain bike, and ride motorcycle, my doctor considers those "contact" sports.  I have met others who have had the same or similar neck injuries who have been cleared by their doctor to go back to normal life.  I have heard from everyone that when a bone heals it is as strong or stronger than before.  Any opinions or insight into this would be most appreciated.  The sports I participate in arent really contact sports but there is that chance that one could hit there head so is my neck more susceptible to being reinjured?  Thank you in advance for any and all information you can provide me with.
Hi, I totally agree with the advice given by your doctor. You were lucky that the CI vertebral fracture did not lead to permanent spinal cord injury. You must avoid all those activities, which can lead to reinjury.
hi, i was thrown from a horse 23 days ago and along with a collapsed lung, 6 broken ribs, a concussion, a perforated kidney and some serious bruising i fractured my c2 vertebrae. im a snowboarder and mountain biker myself and i was just wondering if you were ever cleared to snowboard again? also, have you had any reoccurring pain or problems since your accident? it sounds like our fractures were pretty similar, i didnt have to go through surgery or the halo either, and doctors said i should only be in the Miami J for about 6-8 weeks. also, i read that the C2 vertebrae has something to do with vision and optic nerves, did you notice any problems with vision (ie. when reading or focusing)?