Neurology Community
CT Findings

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

CT Findings

How bad is this?  The doctor said I have to see a Surgen.  He said I could go through the regular channels (2-3 months) or see a private surgen (1-2 weeks).

C2/3 there is bilateral facet arthrosis quite moderate in severity on the left resulting in severe left neural foraminal narrowing.  There is mild to moderate right neural foraminal narrowing.

C3/4 there is mild bilateral neural foraminal narrowing with minor facet arthrosis more marked on the left.  The central spinal canal is unremarkable.

C4/5 there is minor left facet arthrosis resulting in minor left neural foraminal narrowing.  The right neural foramen and central are unremarkable.

C5/6 there is diffuse disc space narrowing with anterior and posterior spondylosis.  There is mild central canal stenosis with the AP dimension of the canal measuring 9.4 mm.

Mild facet arthrosis and uncovertebral osteophyte formation result is severe right neural foraminal narrowing and mild to moderate left neural foraminal narrowing.

C6/7 there is minor lateral osteophyte formation on the right.  There is a broad central disc herniation which may be partially calcified, which flattens the thecal sac anteriorly.  The AP dimension of the spinal canal posterior to the herniated disc is narrowed to 8.5 mm.

There is minor uncovertebral osteophyte formation with minor bilateral neural foraminal narrowing.

C7/T1 there is degenerative disc disease with prominent anterior and posterior spondylosis.  There is large chunky osteophyte laterally on the right with prominent osteophyte extending into the right neural foramen, narrowing the foramen inferiorly.  The uncovertebral osteophyte also cause moderate left nwural foraminal narrowing as well.

Impression  - Multilevel degenerative change with uncovertebral osteophyte formation and facet arthrosis resulting in neural foraminal narrowing at multiple levels.  The findings are quite significant at C7/T1.  

Central canal stenosis is present at C5/C6 and C6/C7 levels with broad-based disc herniation at C6/7.
I think you should ask this in the "Ask A Doctor Forum" for neurology, there's a link to the left of this forum.  If the doctor says you need to see a surgeon, to answer your question, I would call that serious.  From what you report, your cervical spine is in terrible shape, and I wonder how much pain you're in.  Surgery can help stabilize a pretty creaky spine, relieve some of the pain if you have it, and protect you from injury to the spinal cord if your neck gives away by accidentally wrenching your neck.  Then therapy can strengthen the muscles in your neck and make your recovery easier and more successful.  If it were me and I were in pain, and the doctor was definitely sure you needed surgery, I would take the shorter time route.  In meantime, you could get second opinion.  That's just my ideas, I'm not a doctor.    
Your findings reveal cervical spondylosis, spinal canal stenosis, as well as cervical disk herniation.  The severity of this condition partly depends on the symptoms that you may or may not be experiencing now.  If your symptoms are severely interfering with your daily life activities, it is imperative that you consult a neurologist/neurosurgeon as soon as possible.