Neurology Community
Can I do MRI ?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Can I do MRI ?

I have metal fixer in my little hand finger (screw)

So, can I do MRI without remove it? Or should I do operation to remove it first then do MRI?

Are there any ways to do it without remove it?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there. Some metal implants typically do not cause problems. Most orthopedic and dental implants are not magnetic. These include hip and knee replacements, plates, screws and rods to treat fractures, and cavity filings. All of these metal implants can distort the MRI image if near the part of the body being scanned, but they usually do not cause problems. Even if you think the metal implant is compatible with the MRI machine, you must let the MRI personnel know in order to ensure this metal is compatible with the MRI. If it is not compatible you cannot get the MRI done and need  to seek an opinion about the urgency of MRI considering the implant. Take care.
You will not be able to do the MRI if this metal fixer is permanently fixed.  Another kind of imaging will have to ordered.  I didn't understand about having it removed and then having the MRI; that makes no sense.  
Thank you for your answer .

I mean that should I have surgical operation to remove it. After that I have the ability to do MRI.
I would think not to have it removed just for an MRI.  
Avatar_dr_f_tn