Neurology Community
Can I fix nerve damage?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Can I fix nerve damage?

I went to get my blood drawn, and since it was a Glucose Tolerance Test, the phlebotomist had to draw blood three times in two hours. She was going to try a new vein the third time, but as soon as she inserted the needle, a strong burning sensation traveled from my elbow to my wrist. I told her as much. She told me not to flex my muscle, I was not flexing it. She the proceeded to try to draw blood, which only increased the burning sensation and added pain, but no blood came out, at this point, she withdrew the needle and moved over a vein, and took the sample.

Now, almost a week later, I have been having symptoms, ranging from tingling, to burning, to pain. It is mostly in the lower part of my arm, close to my wrist, and actions such as extending my arm and twisting it produce either pain or the burning feeling.

I have spoken with a nurse practitioner, and made an appointment with my doctor, but I am really wary about paying money for something that was caused by a medical procedure.

My question is: as this is likely nerve damage, can the doctor actually help me? And by help, I don't mean pain killers, but fix the problem and help it go away? There is no sign of infection, and I'm fairly certain that it is a sensory nerve. Thank you.
I have exactly what you are describing and too from having my bloods done,  the lady only asked how much water I drank that day and as with you continued to take blood, anyway I mentioned this to my doctor when I went back for the results that this was happening and she said it was most likely temporary as the symptoms are not severe and will go away but it will take a long time. I only found your post cause I am searching to see if there is something I can do to get a quicker recovery. I have found the same symptoms as you when I move my arm, and after some activity with the arm today the symptoms increased.
Have you been to see your doctor yet? or found anything helpful?
I'm sorry to hear that the same thing happened to you. I did go to my doctor and my acupuncturist on the same day. My doctor confirmed the nerve damage and said there was possible tendon damage as well, and to expect at least a month or two for this to heal. She recommended vitamin B12, particularly as part of B Complex. The acupuncturist put needles in my ear, and the pain started to go away. He also gave me a homeopathic remedy for puncture wounds/insect bites that I took for a few days. I have no idea if that did anything. I have been taking B Complex as well. I can't tell you which of these helped, although the acupuncture seemed to have almost an immediate effect. It has been almost 4 weeks, and it is better, but still there. I have to make sure I don't carry anything heavier than my purse in that arm because it starts to act up again, but I can still "feel" something moving underneath my skin. It's not painful or burning, just kind of like there's a thin string under my skin.
If it doesn't go away completely in two months I will see a specialist my doctor recommended and probably visit the acupuncturist again.
I hope that helps. Also, you should probably tell a higher up about the incident. They need to know they caused damage to your arm and retrain that particular employee to know not to stab people in their nerves.