Neurology Community
Can it be Developmental delay or more?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Can it be Developmental delay or more?

My son is 4 yrs old.He was born only three weeks early and was healthy.Met all milestones pretty much on time except talking.He did not talk until 3 yrs old.He has severe speech apraxia and takes speech 3 times a week.We have seen some small improvment.I also know he does not have conversations like a 4 yr old does.He doesnt ever talk about past or future,doesnt talk about ideas or really anything except in the moment type of stuff.Like if a firetruck passes by he might say "firetruck" or "two firetruck".But even this is very hard to understand.He also has fine and gross motor skill delays.He has the grasping skill of a 12 month old.He can not stand on one foot or ride a tricylce or bike.Back in october he had seizures and a case of encypholopothy that lasted over two weeks.His EEG still reads with slow brain waves on left side but no signe of seizure activity.They never could figure out exactly what happen.Iv also noticed that he cant reach his toes very easily (like to take off socks and shoes).We still have to do this for him.Even is he sits wtih legs out in front of him he has to lean back on his arms.Its hard to describe but its like he has to bend his knees to sit.I showed his OT and she said she doesnt know if its that he cant or doesnt feel comftorable sitting without support.Does this sound like a normal case of developmental delay.Im afraid that the fine and gross motor skills may get worst.Is this ever possible.Also he does take OT for the delays and some sensory issues he has.
You say he met all the milestones. Until what age, because obviously he is not meeting them now? Was there a sudden falling off in development?
He sat up,crawled,and walked all on time (walking was about 15 months).Talking was not until 3 yrs old.I dont know about his fine motor or gross motor skills that he is having trouble with now.Cant jump very good,cant hop on one foot or even hold one up,cant take off his own socks,not potty trained or even close,He is behind in his grasping,visual-motor intergration,stationary,locomotion and object manipulation.I really dont know if this is a regression in these skills or not.When i first brought him to the school for testing they said his fine/motor skills was his strenghts and that only his speech was the concern.But now after the seizures in Oct I had him retested for his therapy that was recommmended and he is delayed.His speech has always been an issue before the health problems.I just dont know if everything is tied together or just a coincedence.
You are very concerned about his delay in speaking. I would not necessarily consider age three a delay. Two of my grandchildren did not speak until they were three and are perfectly normal. Einstein did not speak until age three, and did not speak at all well for many years after that. So the speech may or may not be related to his other difficulties. The not being potty trained is definitely a delay. The reason I asked whether the delays were a more or less sudden is that I am wondering if there is some event that took place that is not apparent.

You seem to be doing everything right. I hope he catches up for his own sake and for yours.
Its not necessary the delay in speech im concerned with but that he has severe speech apraxia which I have been told that alot of times its a symptom of another disorder.Also its his language skills that is worrisome.He is not near a 4 yr olds level in conversation. Since he is having other delays and the seizure episode I am very concerned.Its just hard not being able to see your kid be able to socialize or do other things another 4 yr old should be able to do.I know every one is different but when his two year cousin is passing him up on everything its hard to watch.
As a mother I understand how you feel. One of my daughters was a semi-invalid from age eight to 12. I never gave up looking for the cause of her problems. (We never give up, do we?)  It took four years but I finally got a proper diagnosis and treatment. I hope you are as lucky as I was.