Neurology Community
Can nerve damage cause itching?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Can nerve damage cause itching?

About a year ago I had a lumbar puncture done to find the cause of a pain I was having in my head. The Dr couldn't get the needle in my spine the right way and I kept feeling sharp pain in my legs. A couple of months later, I started itching in that area. Then I started itching all over. I had a rash and went to the allergist who said almost all of my tests came positvie for allergys (allergies). She sent me to a Dermitologist and I had several blood tests done to rule out Lubus. I also had a skin biopsy done. Nothing showed up. The rash went away finally after several agrivating months and itching. Finally the itching started to go away. I noticed that the red areas were mostly areas where there was pressure applied or when something rubbed against me. Then it started to itch. If I got a back rub, it would turn red and itch. I couldn't brush my hair much because it would make my head itch like crazy. Taking a shower was torture. I would turn all read and itchy. That is why my tests all came back positive from the Allergist, it was from the pressure on my skin. Anyways, to make a long store short, I started to feel better and had little itching until a couple of weeks ago, it started up again. I don't have a rash but the itching is driving me nuts. It's mostly in my back, legs, and arms. But sometimes my neck or breast area also. I've had an MRI for pain my shoulders and back and I have a degenertive disk. What I want to know is, is it possible that when I had the lumbar puncture and the Dr couldn't get it right, could that have damaged my nerves to the point that they itch? If so, what can I do about it? I feel misurable with this itching. Sorry this is so long, I'm tired of going to Drs and not getting help. Thank you for any help you can give me.
yes i reckon. few months back after a fistfight, my figers were itching like crazy for a few weeks. Recently had a fall, pressure on both my hands, and its itching like crazy. guess it will go away when nerves heal up. Calaminie lotion helped to reduce the itch. Hope this helps