Neurology Community
Can neuropathy come and go

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Can neuropathy come and go

Can neuropathy come and go with severe attacks of stabbing pain.  Been told by a neuro Dr that what made me think I had neuropathy she has never diagnosed me with it and neuropathy cannot come and go.  My internal med Dr has had me on Lyrica for a year and it helps allot with the shooting burning stabbing pains at night.  But sometimes it gets real bad.
Actually it can come and go, but generally becomes permanent after enough damage has been done to the nerves. Diabetic neuropathy for example. A person can lose complete sensation in the feet, get their diabetes under control, and the neuropathy may disappear. Let's say the numbness and lack of sensation can disappear. The word neuropathy becomes meaningless.  You don't provide enough of a history to make any sort of constructive comment.
Thank you for your reply.  I do not have diabetes or any know cause for the pain that will wake me from sleep like a nail has been pounded in my toe or the top of some of my toes will burn or I cannot stand to have anything touching my feet even my shoes or a feeling like something is on my lower leg or my feet burning.  It started in right foot and happened every 3 months or so and would last several nights.  Now it is in both feet and fingers with facial symptoms that happens all of the time.  Lyrica helps control the pain somewhat.  I have spondylolisthesis and other lower back problems, sleep apnea, overweight, rheumatic heart disease along with afib, chronic insomnia, left eye pain, tinnitus.  No other diagnosis that I can think of.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Sharp, stabbing intermittent pains are not related to neuropathy. Neuropathy is mostly characterized by numbness and tingling episodes with pain. Sharp  stabbing pains may be due to other disorders like Fibromyalgia. Other causes are Chronic fatigue syndrome, Dermatomyositis, Diabetic ketoacidosis, African sickness, Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, Eclampsia, Hypopituitarism , Hypothyroidism and many others. Please consult another physician for examination , investigations and diagnosis. A detailed history is required to understand the nature, frequency, location, intensity and severity of pain which is a must for diagnosis. Please go for a full body scan and consult a pain specialist or neurologist.Hope this helps you. Take care and regards!