Neurology Community
Cancer risk from CT scans of the head/neck?
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Cancer risk from CT scans of the head/neck?

I've been having really alarming neurological problems for many years and avoided doctors for most of those years out of fear of having a brain tumor confirmed. When I finally went, both my internist and neurologist ordered MRIs as I suspected they would. The thing is I can't do an MRI. I just can't. When I went to get the one my internist ordered, I saw the machine, had a full blown panic attack, and left. When the neurologist's office called to schedule the MRI my neuro ordered, I straight up told them, "Don't waste your time. I'm not going to have the scan done."

I started researching CT scans as an alternative since they're over a lot quicker than an MRI. I was all ready to ask my neuro if I could get a CT scan instead of an MRI when I came across a bunch of literature about people developing cancer from CT scans. Does anyone know just how significant the risks are?  Thanks. :)
1711789 tn?1361311607
Hi there!

MRIs are rated better in detecting neurological lesions than CTs, though a CT may be a less preferred available option. You could consider MRI under anesthesia or open MRI machines as an alternative. I would suggest discussing the possibility with your treating doctor.
Hope this helps.

Take care!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Neurology Community Resources
Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452919248