Aa
A
A
Close
Cancer risk from CT scans of the head/neck?
I've been having really alarming neurological problems for many years and avoided doctors for most of those years out of fear of having a brain tumor confirmed. When I finally went, both my internist and neurologist ordered MRIs as I suspected they would. The thing is I can't do an MRI. I just can't. When I went to get the one my internist ordered, I saw the machine, had a full blown panic attack, and left. When the neurologist's office called to schedule the MRI my neuro ordered, I straight up told them, "Don't waste your time. I'm not going to have the scan done."

I started researching CT scans as an alternative since they're over a lot quicker than an MRI. I was all ready to ask my neuro if I could get a CT scan instead of an MRI when I came across a bunch of literature about people developing cancer from CT scans. Does anyone know just how significant the risks are?  Thanks. :)
Cancel
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
1711789 tn?1361311607
Hi there!

MRIs are rated better in detecting neurological lesions than CTs, though a CT may be a less preferred available option. You could consider MRI under anesthesia or open MRI machines as an alternative. I would suggest discussing the possibility with your treating doctor.
Hope this helps.

Take care!
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Neurology Community Resources