Neurology Community
Cervical Stenosis at C 5/6

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Cervical Stenosis at C 5/6

Question:

My MRI just indicated that I had Cervical Stenosis at C 5/6.
Could this cause muscle fascilations, cramps, and weakness that cover my entire body?

I have twitches, cramps, weakness from my face to my calves...including my face, forearms, tricepts, bicepts, stomach, pecs, shoulders, thighs, thighs, feet....everywhere.  Could a Stenosis in C 5/6 cause this in that much of my body?

Thank you very much!  
Avatar n tn
Hi realbear,
How are you feeling now?
Cervical stenosis is a condition in which the spinal canal is too small for the spinal cord and nerve roots. This can cause damage to the spinal cord, a condition called myelopathy, or pinch nerves as they exit the spinal canal (radiculopathy).
Symptoms of cervical stenosis are neck pain, pain in one or both arms, and an electrical sensation that shoots down the back when the head moves are common painful sensations in patients with spinal stenosis. Numbness of the arms can occur and as the condition progresses, weakness of the arms and hands can occur with loss of coordination. In advanced stages of cervical stenosis, problems with bowel and bladder function can result, in addition to weakness and numbness in the legs and feet, which can cause difficulty walking.  
Twitches and cramps appear to be unrelated.
Hope this helps.
Bye.
Avatar n tn
A RE YOU ON ANY MAEDICATIONS THAT WOUDL HAVE SIDE EFFECTS?
Avatar n tn
Thank you for your question...
When I had my consult with my second physician and with my Neurologis I was required to bring all of the prescription and over the counter items that I was taking.  Sot they have been check over pretty well.

Thank you again,
I have similar problems.  I have such a hard time explaning it to doctors cause they ask whats wrong and I feel like saying whats right? you know I have been dealing with this for 2-3 years now and am just not getting any help dealing with it.  I have looked all over and just found this site and its answering some of my questions.  this post helped me to figure out if the spinal stenosis problem could be related to the bowel/ bladder and leg numbness I have been having.  until recently it only affected my arms and neck severely.
Thank you.
Having been diagnosed w/ severe cervical spinal stenosis and a small syrix in the cenrtral canal, they also found an arachnoid cyst at the base of my brain stem.  I have had a couple opinions and am currently scheduled for an anterior cervical disectomy w/ fusion @ C5-6 which is where the compression of the cord is the worst and the syrinx is located. I am a singer and worried about the possibility of losing my voice and don't understand why the same things cannot be accomplished w/ posterior procedure? I have severe upper thorasic and lower cervical back pain and radiating arm pain which results in inability to grasp items or press triggers bottles w/o pain and numbess. I simply want to understand why the syrinx (very small) and relieving the cord compression can't be done another way. Since I don't have any symptoms from the arachnoid brain cyst, they say to leave it alone. Or the procedure may resolve it when the CSF flow returns to normal?  I just don't understand leaving a brain cyst alone? I am also concerned about plates and screws. I am also a dancer and love to waterski (even though I just turned 50) and want to return to the most active I can be. Of course, living in pain has been so bad that I have to sleep in a recliner so I know I need to do something. I rely on pain medication. Any advise would be appreciated.
Anterior approach is safer in that it is less likely to cause spinal cord damage since they pull away from the cord to remove the discs. You need a skilled surgeon who has not caused any vocal cord damage and who has done alot of the surgeries. Mine has done 1000 ACDF and told me I would be fine. He was right. I have resumed all activities and am 5 months post-op. I do resistance training with weights, total gym,kick boxing and walking. I do still get some NEW disc pain, especially with cold rainy days, but it is not bad.  I assume the new disc pain is from the  metal plates in my neck that are sensitive to cold and moisture.
Avatar n tn
Make very certain that the brainstem cyst is really a cyst and not just a fold in the membrane. I had an op to drain a cyst by fenestration and simply lost all the CSF and now have a big hole in the arachnoid membrane. I have permanent neck pain, pins and needles in both arms and legs, lower face numbness and leg weakness with varying joint pain.Cannot find any medic who seems to have the slightet idea!
CJC