Chronic Gluteus Maximus Pain

I have chronic pain in my Gluteus Maximus.  The pain feels more like soreness than anything else.  I have had it now for 3-4 weeks but only have taken one week off of exercise.  

The pain is located on the upper inside of the buttocks,  I have mild discomfort from sitting down for prolonged periods.  However, when working out with the injury, once it is warmed up it no longer hurts.  After workouts it is sore again.

Any ideas as to what it can be?  Should work outs cease until the pain subsides?

Thanks guys!
Thank you for your question. This pain you are having can occur due to impingement, irritation or compression of nerve of thigh or in spine. Most frequently involved nerve is lateral cutaneous nerve of thigh (which is branch of femoral nerve). This condition is called meralgia paraesthetica which manifests itself as pain, tingling or burning sensation of outer thigh. It may occur due to injury to nerve either due to spinal deformity or along its path to thigh by any ligament or tendon stretch, excessive tight clothing (therefore it is also called "jeans disease"), diabetic neuropathy or damage to nerve after laparoscopic hernia repair etc. Another nerve which may cause pain in legs is sciatic nerve compression. I would advise a CT scan of spine and thigh, blood sugar levels, and EMG to check out abnormal muscle responses. Once the diagnosis is reached then treatment modalities available are strict rest, loose clothing, painkillers (NSAIDS and opioid), pain modifier medicines like carbamazepine may also be prescribed by the doctor. Therefore a neurologist’s consultation may help you in this regard.  Hope this information proves helpful to you. Take care.