Neurology Community
Chronic Lacuna

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Chronic Lacuna

My wife who is 35 yrs old was facing focusing problem like when she looks at some one's face only one eye is seen .On doctor's advice MRI of brain was done in which CHRONIC LACUNA LEFT PERIVENTRICULAR WHITE MATTER was the findings.Doctor now says just depression is the problem. Can some one tells me what is the problem and remedy.
Lets start with the white matter.
White matter can be seen in most people. Age, history of diabetes, smoking, stroke, high cholesterol, and high blood pressure are all taken into consideration when white matter is found.
If it is a very small amount and there is no past history of any of the above, most doctors won't worry about it.
If there IS a past history, then doctors will generally start you on a diet/exercise/quit smoking program, etc to prevent further damage that can lead to strokes.
Chronic means severe or long lasting.
Lacunar refers to the "ceiling" or top.
Peri means "around" or "surrounding"
Ventricular pertains to the ventricles that contain cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) which bathes and cushions the brain and spinal cord within their bony confines.  This area contains important nerve fibers that carry messages from the brain to the muscles of the body.

So this means is that they found white matter ( that has been there a long time) on the top of the area surrounding your wife's ventricular area.

If her doctor is not concerned about it, neither should she be too worried about it. However, if you feel uncomfortable with the doctors conclusion, I would seek out another doctor for a better explanation.
I'm hesitant to believe that her eye problem is connected solely to depression though. Anxiety can cause " odd things" to be seen etc, but I've never heard of depression doing that...but one just never knows.
I think that your wife should see an opthamologist...I think that there could be some sort of pressure on a nerve causing the eyesight problems...but that is just my speculation.

Hope this helps.
Lets start with the white matter.
Chronic means severe or long lasting.
Lacunar refers to the "ceiling" or top.
Peri means "around" or "surrounding"

Hope this helps.