Neurology Community
Clear fluid leaking through nose

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Clear fluid leaking through nose

I am a 19 year old female; I have had migraines for about 8 years now. I usually get one migraine about every two weeks and a regular headache about once to twice a week. I have recently noticed a clear fluid that drips out my nose. The fluid is like water, but is very salty. Every once in a while if I just look down its starts to drip but especially if I bend down it comes out more. I don’t have any nasal congestion. But the dipping is not always constant. Some times it just doesn’t happen. But I have noticed senses it has started I have been getting headaches and migraines more frequently. And after every head ache the dipping happens more. I do take Zomeg for my headaches and it helps greatly with my headaches, but the drippings still happens. I’m not sure if the fluid has anything to do with my headaches or not. I also got my tonsils and adenoids (adenoids) taken about 2 months ago, and I’m not sure if that would have anything to do with it or not. Thanks so much for your help.
Rachel,
When you see your doctor about this, he can test to see if the fluid is cerebral-spinal fluid.   Although this dripping may be from the sinuses, it's possible that there's a slow leak somewhere in the brain covering, and the fluid is from this.
I've read that one of the ways to test for this, is to test the fluid for glucose.  Cerebral spinal fluid will have glucose in it, whereas mucous from the sinuses will not.  (I think they can use the dipsticks that they use to test urine for glucose, which every doctor's office uses.)
If this information is not correct, your doctor should know what to do to test it.

Bookmark this page, so that you can come back later.
If it is fluid from the brain, your doc really needs to be aware of this.

Wishing you the best,
Carol

I have had 2 ear surgeries since July of 2008 to repair my ear drum, remove scarring, cut away bone from my malleus, and insert an appliance to correct hearing problems due to otosclerosis.  Since my last surgery (when the malleus was corrected and the appliance inserted), I have had leakage from my ear.  Fluid stays behind the eardrum and prevents me from hearing, or sounds like I am under water.  I can tilt my head a certain way and I can hear, but that is the only way.  The fluid has no smell that I can tell, is mostly clear (although at first it had a slight brownish tinge), and feels silky..almost like glycerin.  My ENT is now beginning to think that I have a very small leak in the Dura (I think that is what he said) and has ordered a CT Scan, since this has been going on since mid November 2008.  The fluid leaks when I lie on the side of the surgery and wakes me from the tickling feel.  I am also having increasing headaches as well as increasing problems concentrating and paying attention.  If this is fluid leaking from around my brain, how is it repaired?  Thanks much in advance.

It is important to make sure that the fluid dripping out of your nose is cerebrospinal fluid or not. CSF can leak out of the nose and also the ears. Pathological examination of the fluid will help in making the diagnosis. CSF fluid leak can occur due to traumatic injuries to the skull and due to high intracranial pressure. High ICP can cause headaches which can be terrible.
This requires further evaluation, please get it done at your earliest and let us know if you have more questions.
I have had 2 sinus surgeries! Since sinus infections are extremely painful and headaches A LOT. I have have fluid coming out of my nose when I bend over and its not just alittle at a time! Its like water.
I went to ent today and it wasn't my reg doctor and he did cultures on my nose and sent me on my way. Said I think its from cleaning your nose I said no I don't do it like you guys told me to because it gags me and he said oh ok.
Does this sound like CSF leak?
My son is 33 years old and has started to get a clear nasal discharge , he has suffered with nose bleeds in the past, and up until the age of 23 played ice hockey. The fluid that leaks from his nose is more like a fast drip, and he says it has a metalic taste to it. He has been to our GP who is arranging an appointment with an E.N.T. specialist but in the mean time I wondered if you could shed any light on this matter for us.  Many thanks Vivien