Codman programable VP shunts (problems)
My 18yr old daughter had this shunt put in to replace regular vp shunt which had malfunctioned. (She had it in for almost 12 yrs)
Ever since having it put in she has experienced headaches ect. She also has slit ventricle syndrome. Her shunt is the result of hydrochephalus  cause by scaring from from spinal meningitis at birth.
They have gone from original setting of 150 to 200 down to 90 to 100 to 110 now 120. She is getting worsening headaches and nausea as well as pain at back of head. Also trouble reading...
OK question is it possible for some patients to be over sensative to constant pressure changes caused by programable shunts. Her old vp shunt was medium high setting  and gave her no problems for the entire 12 yrs.
All cat scans as well as MRI show everything looks fine?  
Has anyone had experiences of this type.
Tks
Worried Mom
Thank you for your question. Although without being able to examine her I can not offer you the specific advice on diagnosis and treatment that she needs, but I would try to provide you some relevant information about her health concern.

If she has continuous headache, possible causes may be shunt is either under-draining or over-draining. Her doctor can assess this with a lumbar puncture and measures the fluid pressure. He/She may make some adjustment of the shunt to allow it to drain more and can monitor if the headache improve. Another possibility could be shunt is over-draining, that may lead to low CSF pressure that can also lead to headache. This may improve when the person lies down and gets worse when the person sits or stands. Other possibility could be migraine or cluster headache since these types of headaches are quite common in females. Even then if she suffers continuous headache, please arrange an appointment with a neurologist right away who will evaluate the further underlying disorders here that may be the main reasons of her headaches and can suggest her appropriate treatment. Hope this information proves helpful to you.

I have a similar issue with my son who is 19 years old.  Had VP Shunt surgery surgery last Aug and a revision in Sept.  This August 2013 suddenly started with pressure in the head.  Has had 3 adjustments to the Codman shunt with no relief.  Pressure and pain in the shunt area, .... any advice?  

Desperate Mom