Neurology Community
Colloid Cyst - Brain - Regrowing

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Colloid Cyst - Brain - Regrowing

My husband had a 13.8mm cycst removed from his 3rd ventrical in 2008. We found out about this cyst when my husband blacked out at the wheel of our car and ran over a hydrant, car, and neighbors yard. Needless to say, once in the hospital and the cyst was found acting like a ball bering, preventing fluid flow and causing his brain to swell, he was rushed in for immediate brain surgery. We had no symptoms prior to this because my husband has chronic allergies and ALWAYS has headaches & neck discomfort. He also never experience fainting, light headedness, dizziness, or being unbalanced. This was a big shock to both of us.

June 2009 MRI results showed no growth of cyst.  Good NEWS!

June 2010 MRI finds a 7.8 by 6.1mm cyst regrowth. Bad news!

My concern is this, shouldn't there be concern for a cyst regrowing to almost half the size of the original cyst in 2008?

Our neuro doctor says he didn't want us to worry about it at this time. Said come back in a year for another MRI.  I do trust our neuro doc, but something doesn't mesh here for me. I understand regrowth of cyst is rare. I know that regrowth can take many years, HOWEVER, it's at half the size of the original cyst in 1 year.  

This doesn't sit well with me.  Any thoughts on this?  I'm not looking for medical advice, just wanting to know if requesting a MRI in 6 months would be appropriate and if my "gut" feeling uneasiness is warranted.  

Respectfully,
Concern wife in Washington
Hi, Thank you for your question. Colloid cyst is a brain cyst that may remain asymptomatic for long years. But if it is large it can cause headache, paralysis, seizures and gait disorders. Therefore, surgical intervention is essential to remove the large cyst and if permanent damage needs to be avoided.  Craniotomy, needle aspiration and cerebral shunts are common surgical treatment that may help.  Please consult a neurologist right away in this regard. Hope this helps.

Thank you for your response.  I know about the symtoms (symptoms) and the surgery. We have been through the surgical intervention in 2008. However, my husband seems to be a person that has a rare cyst that is growing back.  Is there studies on the return growth rates on a colloid cyst in the third ventrical? How fast do they grow?  My husbands cyst has grown half the size of the orignal cyst that was removed in 2008.  Should we be concerned about this growth?  

thanks
Hi Indiakai,
I'm in the same position - had my colloid cyst (13.5mm) removed in 2006, and now it's back (around 7mm). My neurosurgeon says the same thing - yearly MRIs. He also said that though the colloid coating can grow quickly initially, it slows down, and I may never need surgery again. After all, it took almost 40 years for me to first develop enough symptoms to worry about. Cheers, G