Neurology Community
Complete Numbness-tingling on left side..please helppppp!!!!

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Hello I hope and pray that there is some out here that can help me..Over 30 days ago I took a nap on a normal day and woke up with numbness on my left side it felt as tho my arm and legs, feet on left side had gone to sleep however they never woke up.  I tried to sleep it off that night but decided to go to the er the following am..they admitted me for fear that i had had a stroke and kept me for about 5 days.  Mt neurologist stated that i had a million dollar work up..they did mri's,ct's,spinal tap and loottsss of blood work and they all came back fine.  I am still have the numbness-tingling to this day on my left side only including face and I have what i call episodes where it feels like under my skin is aching sharp-dull and nothing that i take causes the pain to go away it has to fade on its own, however when i have these episodes it makes me weak on my left side causing me to limp, not use my arm to much etc..the neuro says he doesnt think it was a stroke all test have come back fine I also had a brain study which was normal hoever I am still numb and taking a med lyrica which does not help..I know that this is not in my mind i wanted to know if anyone else out there has had a similar problem or can give me any help as to what other test to have the doc run, or what this may be or could be..i am 28 years of age and w/o this i am 100/% healthy..this came on suddenly and has not moved itself..plse help me with any advice possible..thanks
If the doctors have ruled out a stroke, it is possible you are having some kind of seizure.  You can have numbness on one side of the body with a seizure, though I don't know how usual that is.  Did they do an EEG in your work-up as well?  If I were you I would ask your doctor about that possibility and type in seizure/numbness on your own and see what you come up with.  I know somebody who has had seizures (although he is aware he is having them-falls to the floor) and also has numbness along with it; not sure if it's from head to toe and unilateral in his case, though, but I believe that is possible.  Good luck to you.
did you happen to get vaccinated or gone through some kind of trauma before this started happening? Just wondering, cuz I had the same symptoms and I dont know if related, but they started after I got my flu vaccine. They lasted about 6 weeks, but I'm better now. after a normal workup, doctor told me it could be some kind of viral affect, which typically lasts a couple months, and fades.
thanks for responding..while in the hospital one doctor did say that it could be possilbe that i am having some type of seizures..however the neurologist im seeing now did not mention it..is the eeg where they place all those things on your head?if so yes ive done that and it has come back normal.. i have not had anytype of vacc or shot..and 33 days im still having the numbness allll day..thanks for your time..and i will do the search on seizures/numbness...
Yes, the EEG is where they place all the wires on your head, but from what I have read on the other board (doctor-patient forum), the doctos say it doesn't always (or even usually?) pick up anything and sometimes an overnight stay with EEG is required to see if any seizure activity is taking place.  The person I know who has seizues said he has numbness all the time, so it's not just when he had the seizures.  Anyway, it is worth checking into.
Annie you are so right..alot of people have asked me if I have had a sleep study done or why didnt they do the test overnight and to answer that I have no idea..I also did teh evoc today in which it test the optical nerves in your eyes,ears and spinal cord so we will see what that reveals..i have a follow up with the doc in two weeks and I will be sure to ask him about the seizures..do you know or can you find out what type of med they put your friend on to prevent the seizures, and what did they say is causing it, and are they numb on just one side or the entire body..thanks so much again for checking in and responding at least I know this thing is not in my mind..
Wiseone,

Actually it is a neighbor (not really a friend) that has the seizures and numbness, and I don't know whether it is on one or both sides of his body.  He did tell me he has it all the time.  Don't know what meds he is on for it, though he told me he was on Neurontin for pain.  I would mention to your doctor about an overnight EEG study just to see if he thinks seizures are possible.  

I also read your post on the doctor-patient forum and it looks like they are possibly working you up for MS if they are doing evoked potentials.  It sounds like your doctor/neurologist is doing the right thing and really looking for the cause.  Can't remember if you said you had an MRI brain/C-spine done, but even if they are negative one can still have MS, though usually lesions do show up on MRI eventually.  The evoked potentials can pick up problems/lesions that sometimes can't be seen on MRI.  

Whatever happens--if results are still negative--don't give up looking for the cause of your numbness and other symptoms.  You know you are not crazy--you don't need doctors to tell you that--and the worst thing you could possibly do to yourself is let someone convince that you are or to not continue to pursue a diagnosis, especially if it turns out to be something serious and/or something treatable, as not treating it means more time for the disease to do damage to your body.  Not only will you still be left with your very real illness (the ones doctors thought was psychosomatic)--whatever it turns out to be--but you will also be left with a worse prognosis, and that is something you do not want or deserve.  Trust me on that one.  Let me know what you find out from the evoked potentials.
Thanks again..Yes they initially had me on neurontin but it def wasnt working so that changed it.  I did have the mri of the brain and spine and it came back fine. Yes I did post on the other forum to also..I will keep you posted on the Evoc test havent gotten those results yet.Thanks for the encouraging words to not give up, my doc has been great and won't really even tell me what he thinks it could be until the test ae completed he just apoloizes for what Im going through..
I hope you get some answers soon.  I'll be looking for your post after you find out about the results of the evoked potentials and also to see what the doctor on the doctor-patient forum has to say.  I also have a question in over there (couldn't believe I actually got in after four months of trying), but it is backed up by at least three weeks, so it will be a while before they  answer.  I am still waiting to hear from Mayo what the results of my tests are (and if they confirm what the neurologist told me she thought I had) from my trip up there last month--I have been sick 13+ years with no answers--, so I definitely know what the waiting to hear/anxiety is like.
Annie the doc called me about the evock test and stated that everything came back fine...I have an appt with him on the 15th, and I have no clue what else he can do to see whats causing the problem. I still have the numbness and I belive the lyrica is helping with the pain flare up however its not removin the numbmess. A few days ago my left side including my tongue went numb. Just wanted to keep you posted and am praying that you as well as I find answers but my wait has been nothing like yours..
Good to hear your evoked potentials were normal.  It will be interesting to hear what the CCF doc thinks it might be when you get your question answered.  I think I also read on the other forum that someone suggested lyme, which I guess is possible, especially depending on where you live.  If it is MS, just remember that the lesions don't always show up on MRI right away (possibly never in some cases?), so having a neg. brain and C-spine MRI does not rule out MS (not suggesting you have it, just that a neg. MRI doesn't rule it out).  Some people are dxd from lumbar puncture when MRIs are normal.  My cousin has MS and hers presented with optic neuritis (pretty common presentation from what I have read).  She was dxd 9 years ago and is doing pretty well apparently.  

I still haven't heard from Mayo yet regarding my test results.  I was supposed to return for a follow-up appnt. last week but the doctor agreed to write me instead and send a copy of my note to my local doctor (so I wouldn't have to drive all the way back up there).  If I don't hear today I am calling them, as they said it would be 10 days-and that was 14 days ago.  I did get the statement, though, and saw a lot of the blood work was for antibodies associated with pareneoplastic syndrome (cancer-associated dysautonomia), so that made me kind of nervous, but I have told myself that is highly unlikely since the first sign of clear autonomic dysfunction was almost 17 years ago.  Keep me posted and I will do the same.  I usually check the board almost every day.  It gets my mind off my own problems (kind of, anyway :).
hi annie thanx for the reply and sorry for the long delayy..i was placed back in the hospital on this past friday and released yesterday..i wasnt feeling well and went to lay down within 30 min my speech was totally slurred and stil is..they admitted me and did the mri 72 hours later it came back and the doc sayed there was no need to keep me and let me go but something is wrong.i am looking into another hospital, he said i should be able to talk in a few days but we will see not to sure where to go from here things keep happening and they keep happening on the left side just wanted to update you..
Hi wiseone,

I just came across your post.  I'm sorry about the slurred speech and having to be put in the hospital.  Have your doctors given you any thoughts as to what could be causing your numbness and now the slurred speech, or don't they share that with you?   By the way, do you still have the left-sided numbness or has that subsided?  If I remember correctly your evoked potentials and MRIs (as well as the one you just had done in the hospital) have all been normal.  I'm not a medical person, just a well-read/well-researched layperson, so I can only offer my "two cents" if it's something I've read up on, but if your doctors don't think you are having any type of vascular accident/TIA/stroke,etc., (not sure if that always shows up on brain MRI or not), then have they considered MS in spite of your negative brain MRI?  I have had slurred speech in the past, but mine was mild and intermittent (usually made worse with talking a lot) with the exception of one episode where it came on suddenly and was severe (to the point of initially being unable to speak-due to exacerbations of my neuro symptoms I always experienced during ovulation/hormone-related).  MS can cause slurred speech but so can a lot of other things (myasthenia gravis, etc.)  If you have any other MS-type symptoms (don't know if you do or not), I would not discard the possibility of MS due to negative MRIs.  I've had symptoms for 17 years and my MRIs have been negative thus far, but since all my symptoms don't fit in with the picture of autonomic neuropathy that I've been dxd with, the neuro I saw suggested a lumbar puncture to definitively rule in/out MS.  Let me know how you're doing and if you find anything else out.  And I wouldn't be shy about asking the doctors what they think is causing your numbness and slurred speech.  I wasn't nearly assertive enough all these years.  You have a right to know what they are thinking; it's your life.
that is so true..yes i do still have the numbness on left side.the say maybe ms, maybe tumor they dont know they have no clue..yes everything has come back negative but the doc at john hopkins says that doesnt mean anything..please keep me posted i noticed that someone else on forum havin same problem waiting for them to respond.please keep me posted and i will do the same for you my nex appt is friday feb 2nd..
I will keep checking the board, Wiseone, to see if you find anything out at your next neuro appointment.  I went back and read your initial post, though, and saw that they did do a lumbar puncture on you when you first got the numbness.  I don't know how likely MS is (or if it is even possible) if you had a negative brain MRI, LP and evoked potentials, unless, however, they didn't do a C-spine MRI and possibly something could show up on that.  

My C-spine and brain MRI were normal,too, but I never had evoked potentials, and am planning on going for an LP in the next month or so at Mayo.  I also have left-sided weakness, arm and leg, (though mild) and tingling/heaviness in arm/leg (no numbness like you, though), and I also had and still get mildly the slurred speech.  I will check back to see what you find out.  Good luck.
Hi, I am a 32 year old female.  I have left side tingling, numbness, weekness, a headache on the left side, heart palpitations, chest pain and pressure, dizzyness, blurred vision, trouble sleeping, racing heartbeat and feeling of passing out.  This problem has been very severe for 40 days now.  I have been to the Emergency Room 7 times.  They keep telling me I am fine and sending me home with migrane (migraine) headache or vertigo.  None of the medications they gave me in the hospital helped.  I have had tons of bloodwork done testing everything from Lyme Disease, Lupus, Ms etc. I had 2 cat scans of my head.  An MRI, MRI with Contrast, and an MRA of my head, and MRI of my neck, and echo cardiogram, 8 ekgs, a 24 hour haltor monitor for my heart, 2 chest x rays, and a catscan with contrast of my heart.  My family doctors says it is all stress doing this.  No other doctors will even look at me and keep talking to my family doctor that is telling them in need a shrink.  My family doctor told me to see a shrink 3 months ago.  I did.  That doctor put me on 5 mg of Xanax XR a day!  The medication did not help and my illness has become more severe.  I went back to the famly doctor who told me if the medication was not working I had tobe weaned off of it.  Which I did.  Now they keep telling me that I am just too stressed out and I need to see a shrink again and they want to put me back on Xanax.  I am getting stressed cause no doctor is helping me, they keep telling me physically I am fine, and I dont feel fine!!!  Any suggestions???????  All my test results are normal.
Have they checked you for vitamin defficiencies. Some of them can casue crazy neuro problems. B12 for one and I think either Mg or Mn. Worth a shot and just takes a blood test.
Did they test you for Hughes disease (APS)?
Blood test doesnt always come back positive on this.....
Your symptoms point to it.
Lupus can also be missed by tests, ask to be tested again
Andrew
I have left face numbness too.  I had an brain MRI last week and go back in December for those results.  I don't think mine could be Hughes because I have had two successful pregnancies and no miscarriages.  B12...maybe but don't seem to have a lot of mental issues.  Lupus...I don't know...thoughts...my numbness comes and goes...it came back to day with a venegence...I am keeping track on my calendar when I have it now.
I have been experiencing the same symptoms for 2 months now. They first suspected stroke (i'm only 25 yrs old)./.. then they thought MS... i have done, 2 CT's, an MRI, EKG, CT Angiogram and Spinal tap (that hurt)... and everything is coming up negative. i have numbness, tingling, weakness, and paralization in my left side. It comes to a point where my speech is affected.. the words just don't come out!

All doctors I have seen (there is alot of them) all jsut look at me ans say 'I have no idea what is wrong with me' then they prescribe me more medication. ... i don't take any the meds till i get a dx... Its so frustrating, its interferring with my life and work... i'm jsut not normal again...

if anyone knows what's going on..please help me!
i've been reading all your concerns and i'm totally with you.  i've had it for about 2years now. it comes and goes.  i'm 32y/o male.  i had blood tests and all came out normal.  i just noticed that when i'm too stressed out, my left face turns numb. i can feel "ants marching" left side of the face, left forearm and left leg.  i've been doing stretches on my neck and back hoping that it'll be relieved. sometimes it does but not 100%.  i just noticed that when i'm on vacation, those tingling sensation do not come out..especially when i have a 7-8hr sleep. so, is it stress? i was thinking that it may be psychosomatic...i'm not sure.  right now, i've been stressed out lately because of work and the house so it's been coming out lately.  i'm tired of this too..i just hope that it's all stress...
i came across this polycythemia vera which imitates all the symptoms (tingling, chest pain, numbness) but my rbc(red blood cells), hct(hematocrit), hemoglobin are all normal.  it is a disease causing an overproduction of your rbcs...making your blood more viscous and triples  your chances of heart attack and stroke..check your latest rbc.  MS, GBS, polyneuropathy, stroke, tia,.

right now, i'm going to try yoga to  relieve stress. i just  want to let you know that you guys are not alone. let's work hand in hand and find out what's causing all these abnormal symptoms with negative lab works.  
hi
two yrs ago i started having back pain, took all kind of drugs, one year later my left arm not swing while walking then noticed that my body is tilted to the right six month ago i started to limb on my left leg and draging it ..i did ct`s at first  they said it is small strok then did mri dx rolled it out one dx said it could be parkinson ather said mnd so i do not know what to do
Hello, I have numbness in left leg and arm as well as twitching all over the body which sounds similar. Good luck to you, I live in Thailand they did 2 brain scans and said I have a brain normality they have put me on anti-depressants the last month which haven't none anything. Not sure anyone can reccomend any drugs that may help I think living here they don't have everything teh western world has.
thanks
d
The left side of my face has been numb for over three years now..I know when I take xanax the numbness almost totally goes away. I think this is all stress related. I'm almost fifty now and this happened to me when I was in my thirties and going through a divorce..Saw a top neurologist and he said migraine related..Hmm maybe so but I think it's all stress. Got through with divorce and face came back until three years ago. I think I'm learning to live with it now. Anyone else out there like me?
Well I have experienced facial numbing just today. It was definitely scary and I immediately got on the computer and I found this forum...Well I was at work and I had a caramel candy. I have a cavity on my bottom molar towards the back and a piece of caramel got into my cavity. So of course I immediately had some pain so I went to the bathroom to try to clear the cavity of the candy. All of a sudden the tip of my tongue started tingling. Seconds later the tingling started to spread towards the back of my tongue. I just thought of the worst case scenario. I was on the edge of having a panic attack because I thought it was going to continue towards my throat and like suffocate me however that was not the case. The tingling spread into my gums and teeth and few seconds later my lips and cheek. The tingling turned into numbness, however, the numbness only occurred on the left side of my face. Naturally now I was thinking it was a stroke. After about 10 minutes the numbness was gradually subsiding and was going into my left hand. I couldnt feel my fingers and that lasted for about 10 minutes also. After that the numbness disappeared completely. I called a friend who is in nursing school. She attempted to give me medical advice and said that I could have hit a dental nerve or it could have been a neurological problem and having something to do with my nerves. I am going to a dentist on February 1st just to see if it is dental related and Im still debating whether I should go tonight to see a doctor. I dont have medical insurance so that's whats holding me back. If anyone has any suggestions or comments please post. Thanks.
I thought mine was tooth related and even had the tooth removed but the numbness remained....I'm about to decide it is most likely hormone and migraine related. Let me know what happens at the dentist and good luck..Hope the numbness doesn't return.
My 13-year old daughter has had back pain for over a year, which after multiple tests was diagnosed as fibromyalgia.  2 months ago she experienced total left sided numbness.  we live in Dubai and had tests there, which were negtive.  our insurance company flew us to Switzerland where we spent 2 weeks having MRIs, blood tests, lumbar puncture, EEGs and hospital observation.  all negative.  she has spasms where she cannot control the movement of her arms and legs; her hands 'dance' to any music she hears; this morning she woke up with her RIGHT arm totally stiff and unable to move her head.  all doctors are indicating it is psychological.  she is not overly confident, but does well in school, has a stable family life, friends....  we have been two weeks in Thailand to try different medications/doctors, but without any success so far.  there are loads of questions in all these posted comments, but no-one has any solutions!  Or is it just that they don't 'post' any more when it goes away?  My daughter is 13, and I have no idea how to help her!
I have had all the symptoms you all are experiencing. Took every test MRI, Cat, EEG, EKG, all came back negative. They said it was either Stress/Panic Disorder (which I doubt) or what is called an Ocular Migraine which can effect your speech, vision, create vertigo (not sure about numbness). After all the Neurologists I saw, my WONDERFUL PCP gave me a small dosage of "1 mg tablet Clonazepam". I take 1/2 tablet at morning and other half at night. I also take Sertraline HCL 1/2 table at lunch if I need it. I was getting down for no apparent reason. Doctor thought it may be slight chemical imbalance. Clonazepam is for seizures and panic disorders. I also suggest that you get off anything with MSG, Aspartame, anything diet as I have read they bring on Neurological diseases...Parkinsons, Altzheimers. Good luck and may God bless. Its worth a try.
p.s. I also could not get to bed at night and thought "this is ridiculous...I can't go to bed at 4 a.m and get up for 6 a.m." I was tired and worn out and sooo frustrated with the doctors. I hope this works for someone. I still don't know what it is but if this helps someone out there..it was worth it!
Have you had an echocardiogram done recently?
I have the numbness on the left side too.
It comes and goes but the episodes have gotten alot long lasting now for 2 to 3 minutes, but the weird thing is I'm only 17. I haven't gotten into no head or neck trauma at all. I didn't get no flu shot and beside this I've also always been healthy. I stayed in the hospital for two days and did cts and MRIs and lots and lots of blood work but they all came back find. I'm pretty sure the doctors here think I'm lying when I tell them my left side goes completely numb for minutes at a time. They gave up so easy and I know this can not be in my head because I'm 17 and this has never happen before and came on all of sudden. And you plz tell some kind of doctor or hospital I can go to. To get the right treatment where the doctors don't think I'm lying. I'm young but not crazy...
I am a 25 year old female.  I swear when I read your original post I thought I had wrote it myself!  About 2 years ago I was sitting and talking to my MIL when I felt the top left side of my head start to go numb.  It proceeded all the way down my left side.  Went to the ER and was sent home.  I have had MRI's, EKG's, lumbar puncture, etc and all have been normal.  I am currently feeling heaviness on my left side and it comes and goes on my right.  I have episodes of weakness where I feel like I almost have to force my body to move at all.  I also now have issues with my bladder, my vision went blurry, and my body has moments where it aches something fierce!  I am not having times where I find myself not recognizing familiar places while driving.  I feel at times like I am going crazy with all this.  I have my first neurology apt. set for the 13th of January.  I'm sorry they havent figured your problem out yet.  You are not alone in the no diagnosis thing!  Keep a diary of EVERYTHING from what you eat, how you feel, etc...  I am starting mine and am hoping this will help in my diagnosis!  Good luck to you!
I am a 32yo female. 5 yrs ago I had left sided tingling from the face down to my feet which I can mildly feel it still. I had MRI's, MRA's, CT angiograms of the brain all came back normal. 2 weeks ago I began feeling exhausted, dizzy all the time, and felt like my head was made out of cotton balls. 1 week ago as I was sitting at work my whole right side went numb "tingly" and still have all those symptoms. I visited my neurologist who is concerned about MS or Post-Infection Incephalopathy since I was sick about a month ago. I am very scared this could be MS. I was still hoping to have another child and was actually planning for this year. I really need people to talk to that are going through the same thing. I go for an MRI Monday and an LP on Thursday.
Im having same symptoms now... im going for MRI this coming tuesday and im really scared.Thanks for all the post that Im able understand my current situation
I have treated these symptoms as stressed related and have had a major improvement! Find your stress triggers and take a chill pill or whatever works for you but you must reduce the stresses in your life to more manageable levels! Recognize and relieve stress and you WILL feel better! Sometimes we know our bodies and minds better than our "experts" do.
hi i just woke up to the same thing. nothing is ruled out here. have had my left leg slightly numb all week but was too scared to check what it was... but now that it's stronger and on my whole left half, and i have no aspirin, what can i do? i'm drinking water... pls help!
I have had all the same symptoms as you and my left side has not gone back to normal either.  It's still numb, tingly and very week.  My MRI came back normal.  Has your doctor had any thoughts as to what it might be?
I have had an entire month of similar trauma and symptoms. I have gone to the ER three times last night via Ambulance and each time after a workup, they release me saying my pulse is good, bloodwork is good, and neuro exam seems good. They did a CC cat scan the first time a brain MRI this afternoon. The only bloodwork they say is off is vitamin D and have had me start building that up, but I am sick of being sick and really sick of ER people (probably thinking I am nuts). They are all professional and nice, but each time I get in there, the shaking hands and numbness in my feet and legs subsides a bit and they send me home. Each night is a guessing game if and when the attack is going to come. Most nights an attack comes at least mildly. They have diagnosed it as Positonal Vertigo because of the dizziness that comes with it at times, but my dizziness does not last more than a minute or two and the shaking limbs and numb hands arms and feet lasts for an hour or two. Anxiety or panic can be a contributor, but what is causing the inital attack? I just started a new job after an 18 month layoff and have begun to miss days at work. I feel for everyone here and all of your stories. I hope we all get some relief soon. I do not consider myself a hypochondriac, but people including family and friends are starting to look at me like I am nuts because I have a very small family and have inconvenienced them quite a bit lately with late night wake up calls etc.
Hi, when you say neuro exam, do you mean that they also checked your back and neck?

Because after the last time I called an ambulance and had them shake their heads wondering why I called, the only thing they told me was to get my neck and back checked and that it might be the spine pinching some nerves... I haven't checked yet though lol
In July I had an "event" as the people in ER termed it. I got up from my computer and my left hand had pins and needles like it had been numb. But then the palm of my hand went numb. I had no feeling whatsoever. Then the numbness left the palm and started traveling up my arm. When the patch got near the elbow my left nostril started to tingle and went numb. The numbness had left my arm. From the nostril it traveled to my lips, my cheek, my jam, my gums and tongue. My husband called 911 and I thought I was having a stroke. The numbness went away as quickly as it had started within five or ten mins. The paramedics arrived and took my vitals. They determined it wasn't a stroke, but took me to the hospital due to my BP was 240 over 120. They didn't find anything wrong at the hospital, but gave me an IV that got my BP down to !50/90. Right as I was leaving I got a severe migraine that lasted several hours. I hadn't had a migraine for years. I went to a cardiologist and he determined my heart was healthy and the numbness was a fluke. "Sometimes bodies do strange things," he said. Almost six months to the day on Jan. 1, my right palm went numb and the patch of numbness traveled up my arm. It felt like aliens under my skin. It got to my shoulder and moved across the chest and back at the same time. Let me clarify that once the numbness travels what had been numb is no longer numb. Then as quickly as it was began it stopped again about 5 to ten mins. My blood pressure was 185 over 115, but within 20 mins. was back down to 134/106. My pluse ranged from 116 to 100. I am freaked out and baffled. I have an appointment on Mon. with my cardiologist, but after researching on the web I'm concerned about MS. Since both incidents I've hand minor tingling and numbness in my feet, hands and face. Not all three at the same time. I was also told about five years ago that I might have MS due to numbness on my right side. Has anyone had something similar with the traveling numb patch? Does anyone have a clue what this might be. It has me freaked out and my chest is tight, but I'm thinking this is more anxiety than any heart problem given my heart checked out.
Im a 24r  old female. for well over a yr now ive had the same pain/weakness/numbness in my left side. started as ptosis. i had polyps removed from my left sinus, it didnt help. months later my linguel tonsils were removed after several scopes, antibiotics and hospitalizations. my tonsils would swell and i would sound like kermit the frog. nothing had triggers. Ive had migranes (migraines) since I was 16. some with auras. When i started having these episodes I couldnt speak or walk. my body would shake if you touched me. I was taken to the ER atleast 3-4x and was told to follow up with a neurologist. I have seen 4 neurologists in a year. I have had MRIs, MRA, CTs, EKG, EEG, xrays,blood work, and a sleep study. everyting came back normal besides the sleep study. I was told i have sleep apnea. im 24 and 140# i shouldnt have sleep apnea. I was put on Topamax which made me dumb as a bag of rocks. I had terrible aphasia. To this day my pain, stiffness, and weakness still occur daily. I have noticed i have epileptic triggers even though every dr said i do not have seizures. Lights and motion will def trigger my episodes.. my period or not sleeping well or for that matter any thing that throws off ym imune system makes them 100x worse. Can this be auto immune?? i was tested for myasnthia gravis or whatever that is and it was normal. I have been prone to dental decal since i can remember. recently ive been diagnosed with such bad dry eye that ive developed ulcers started in the left now its in both. I get hives at night but only on my scalp, spine or abd. Until i read your post (and everyone elses) i thought i was the only one. i thought i might actual be crazy. Every doctor says im to young for all this. I dont know who else to go to (as far as drs) I feel helpless. Im becoming socially sheltered because i never feel good. SOMEONE HELP PLEASE! i go nights without sleep because im in so much pain. nothing stops it. I take Lyrica as well and it doesnt seem to work. I also take vallium which seems to be the only thing that works.. if valium works then it leads me to believe its a seizure.. im so depressed because i feel horrible all the time... I need advise. I know im not crazy. stress doesnt do this to people!!
I can sympathize with everyone's symptoms.  I had them all in 2004.  Here are some things that helped me.  Get checked for hypothyroidism with a TSH, free T3 and free T4 tests.  There is a condition called hypothyroidism related neuropathy.  After multiple tests, I started taking Armour Thyroid and it really helped.  Currently taking 120 mg/day, but had to work up to that dose by starting with 60 mg/day.  Also, cutting out gluten from my diet has helped.  Please read the symptoms on gluten sensitivity and celiac disease on line.  Turmeric also has helped with the numbness and tingling.  I take two 400mg capsules a day.  It is recommended online for diabetic neuropathy (pain, tingling, numbness in extremities).  Although I'm not diabetic, it helps!  I actually was taking it to prevent Alzheimer's.  God bless everyone!
Hi I am 24 years old and I was reading this forum to get some sort of help.  I too have tingling and numbness only on my left side, extending from my face to my toes.  The doctor said I have a bulging disc/pinched nerve in my neck and that this may be whats causing the numbness/tingling.  I was wondering if this was the cause of anyone elses numbness/tingling.  I have panic attacks constantly because when it happens I think the worst, like stroke.  I am tired of having to stay medicated to keep from panicking, is there any advice as to what to do when the numbness/tingling comes about?  So that I won't panic and have to take a Xanax? Thank you for any help.
Hi all

As someone else stated before i also thought i had written the note when i read the original post.Thanks to all who have given information. I noticed that noone mentioned about problems at thinking and reasoning process and feeling of pressure inside brain. When i have this left side numbness problem i also have feeling of increased pressure inside the brain (on left side) and i also loose ability to think properly.I start living like robot. Making new decisions is almost impossible.Anyone experiences those or does my case look different than yours? thanks.  
Any update?  My wife seems to have the same symptoms.  A lot of stories on here... anybody want to follow up, being the original question was frm 2007.
I can't believe that I have found people that can relate to me! I have waves of numbness that take over my left side about every 10 minutes and last for about a minute. This has been going on for 3 straight days. I had a brain tumor 12 yrs ago and take seizure meds and haven't had any problems in several years....this started out of no where. I think my neurologist thinks I'm crazy. I don't know how to describe it to him. All he wants to do I'd increase my meds. Its so frustrating to explain to someone what is going on!!!!

About pressure in the brain....before I knew I had a brain tumor, I had what I called ' Brain Squeezes' becauses that is what it felt like. Also throbbing in my ear. That is the only symptoms I had...no headache. Please tell your dr about pressure. I didn't think anything about it and the next thing I knew I was at home with my kids alone and had a seizure. Best wishes to you all
I hope you are still checking this board.  At age 37 I stopped taking the Yasmin birth control pills I had been on for 3-4 years.  I didn't replace them with anything.  In about 5 months my periods were completely normal again, however, I began having most of the symptoms you are describing and all of the tests.  Nothing came up on any results either except that I had my gallbladder removed a month later.  The same symptoms returned a few months after the surgery.  Now it has been 5 years dealing with these symptoms, but the good news is that they are less.  Now I mostly have numbness for 2-5 days a month - on the left side of my body (left cheek, arm and leg) - mainly during the time ovulation occurs - there's definite pattern.  My symptoms seem to be hormone, peri-menopausal related, perhaps complicated by the hypothyroidism I have been taking medication for for 20 years.  I think it is a type of neuropathy - affects circulation, digestion, and more.  Eating more fresh fruits and vegetables instead of red meat and cheese has had a great benefit in lessening the symptoms.  It has really been a pain in many ways to go through all of this, but I am relieved that it has gotten better with time instead of worse.  I hate it when docs brush it off so so much, especially women doctors, you would think they would listen a lot better.  
I have the same tingling and numbness on my left side. I was recently diagnosed with MS about 2 months ago but my neurologist thinks I may have nerve damage and the numbness and tingling is not related to the MS.  He has scheduled me a EMG/NCS test to determine if it is nerve damage.  My numbness is so bad at times my leg drags and my fingers feel like they have frozen to death but never unthaws. It is an awful feeling and I hate it!!! I am a active 40 year old and the MS has not been the problem its the numbness and tingling that has me down!  
I know that I am really late in this posting but this same thing happened to me. I was at work and all of a sudden my left side went numb and i was paralyzed for a  few days. They ran test after test and everything became normal. Then they had me see a psychologist because they began to think I was crazy. Everyone refuses to help me and says this is all in my head. I have seen doctor after doctor and its been over a year since it happened. I have episodes where I will get really dizzy and my face will have a stabbing pain. Nothing helps. I was wondering if you have found out what was wrong or do you know anyone I can see or any answers? Please help
I have the same problems total left side numbness and the pressure in the head and a lot behind the eyes.  Three different doctors no answers.  One doctor told me I had the brain MRI of an 82 year old man, I am only 42.  MS has been brought up but it is difficult and timely to diagnose.  Keep looking it gets hard not to just give up, but just keep looking.
I have most of the same issues going on now mine started in May this year and I'm still numb. I have been to 2 head doctors, who have now sent me back to a neurologist who will be seeing me next week. My doctor said I have a conversion disorder, both head doctors said I don't in the meantime, I'm still numb, tingling, and can of bugged. I have had every test out there and still have no idea why I'm numb, the real sucky part is now when I touched stuff on chargers my left side feels like it's being shocked? If anyone else has the shocking thing please let me know and how long did it last? I am a diabetic but don't know if neuropathy can affect one whole side of my body?
I experienced the numbness on my entire right side. The first time it happened, I awakend from sleeping. I thought I was having a stroke, but changed my mind to believe it was a pinched nerve in my spine because it went away so quickly. It kept reoccuring. I had MRI of spine, brain and had my corotid (SIC?) artery checked. I also wore a heart monitor. I was told I had had a mild stroke for unknown reasons... all my bloodwork and heart tests were fine, Mine keeps happening when I wake up. I can't stand for a moment until it goes away. I have been told the stroke would not cause symptoms that come and go, neither would MS. I had a sleep study, apnea when I sleep on my back. I sleep on my side or belly now to avoid the invasive CPAP machine. I wish someone could tell me what is going on as well. I can relate to your discomfort and worry.
If you think it is a migraine (true migraine with flashing lights before eyes, and the feeling a horrible headache is coming on -- and often does, with nausea), some people get this from FOOD ALLERGIES.  =====A Scripps hospital La Jolla, CA doctor recently put ONIONS (raw or cooked) on his list of migraine triggers.  ====I CURED myself forever of migraines 20 years ago by completely eliminating onions, especially raw.  =====I kept a chart for several months of foods eaten, weather, stress, etc.  ===I could have days of terrible stress, but no migraine.  Or wonderful days and THEN a migraine.  Food allergies accumulate.  One onion, maybe no problem.  Two/three days in a row of onions, WATCH OUT !!!  l
wow.after reading all of these i belive that the symptoms most are having are real..about 40 percent should check out pirimorfis syndrome, about half are symptoms produced from sheer fear,mostly of having a stroke, and some are from ambien and xanax....the rest need to persist with the medical help,the ambien and xanax will lead to trouble sooner or later.
Hi All!  I can't believe that there are so many of you with the same symptoms that I have.  I have been diagnosed with Hashimotos Thyroiditis.  I was put on a very small dosage of Synthroid and about 5 weeks into taking it, I started to notice tingling in my left hand and then in my left foot.  Occasionally in my right foot, but not my right hand.  I have shoulder pain on the left side as well as some neck pain...all on left side.  I broke out in a itchy rash on my left side on my legs about a week ago and that has subsided.  I was the twitches all over my body as well.  I had a cervical MRI, brain MRI and a shoulder MRI.  All clean.  They have done countless CBCs (a little anemic) and I overmedicated myself on B12 so that was high.  I started taking something called Pharma Gaba, it seems to help a little with the tingling and the anxiety around the tingling.  Anyone else out there have their antibodies tested for Hashimotos Thyroid?  It is a test that is separate from the regular thyroid workup, T3, T4 and TSH.  How about Gluten tests and Fibromyalgia work up?  I am stuck thinking that my thyroid is the culprit here.  Any other thoughts?
Unilateral tingling....please everyone...do yourself a favor and check out POSTURAL PHYSICAL THERAPY.   You are neurologically wired to walk a certain way and if it gets slightly altered it can cause a whole myriad of neurological symptoms, numbness, tingling, pain, etc.  Please find the closest POSTURAL PT in your area.  I went to one yesterday and he explain why everything was happening.  
I just spent the last 4 months with this problem and the exact same symptoms the OP wrote about.  To add to that, my numbness was starting in on the right side from the head down.  My left side of my face was almost paralyzed, and I was starting to have chest pains and what felt like pre-heart attack symptoms.  All my tests, MRI, EKG, blood tests, came back totally healthy and normal except for indication of migraines.  But I don't get any headaches!  I was told it was psychosomatic and brought on by stress.  Now of course there is such a thing as hysterical paralysis, but I had NO previous history of such things in my family or relatives.  I was under a lot of financial stress though, so I couldn't disagree with the stress issue and started seeing a nutritionist to build me up against stress (psych meds will just weaken your defenses, trust me!)

Yesterday it was finally SOLVED!!  Doctors have a tendency to make you think that because they can't see anything wrong, it must be mental.  THIS **** IS REAL PEOPLE!  After working with a chiropractor I had been referred to, for two weeks, he found the compressed nerve in the right side of my neck, just above the shoulders.  As soon as he adjusted it THE FEELING RETURNED TO MY LEFT SIDE!!!  I was in disbelief, but after about 3 minutes couldn't help but cry.  I thought no one was going to be able to fix me.  Now granted the left side was weak and still needed some time to heal after the nerve had spent four months completely crushed.  I have discovered that a pinched nerve can create some crazy symptoms. It's not always brain related, sometimes it's lower down.  I hope someone finds this information helpful.
I think we have a lot in common here, ladies!! I was on Mirena but had it removed immediately once I was taken to the ER for what I thought was a stroke. My vision first got very fuzzy and slowly, perfectly asymmetrical, my left side went numb. I was dizzy and tried to ask for help at the grocery store but my speech was severly slurred while this was all happening. I was checked for clotting factors and other blood tests but the physician said I probably had a complex migraine. I had several more episodes for the following three weeks and then a multitude of other complications that begin to worsen during certain parts of my cycle- foggy brain, loss of vocabulary , squeezing left arm muscle pains, vertigo, blurred vision, heart palpitations, facial muscle pain and inability to raise eyebrows. This list goes on and on. I was diagnosed with autonomic dysfunction, POTS. I was encouraged by the lessening of symptoms over the years, almost 3 now. However, I had intense symptoms of feeling drunk, syncope, nausia, extreme mental fog, muscle spasms, facial muscle weakness and so forth on the exact moment I ovulate. It is very clear this is tied to hormones but I want to feel normal and healthy again! It is very very hard to function as a school teacher when I feel like this.
Interesting that I stumbled onto this discussion.  I am 62, male, about 3 years ago I started having dizzy spells, they one morning during sex, the room started spinning around at 90 mph, I laid there until it stopped and then noticed Numbness on my left side that goes straight down from head to toe.  I went to the ER and had tons of tests.  They found nothing but concluded I had a stroke.  My strength is fine, no pain, no speech or sagging problems.  When I was 30 I had dizzy spells and they went away when I quit caffeine.  Just before these dizzy spells started, My wife switched me to soy milk.  I quit the soy milk and the dizziness went away.  However the numbness is still with me 3 years later.  My Dr. put me on Statin drugs for the presumed stroke.  I took them for 2 years and developed every negative side effect (peyrones disease, anal leakage, only sleeping 2-3 hours a night, mussel weakness).  I quit the Statins about 3 months ago and am slowly getting back to normal.  But My Dr. is not happy with me quitting them.  If your Dr. wants you on Statin's read the side effects first!
  I have gotten use to the numbness, except for my nose and it has creeped over onto my right side to take over my entire nose and my upper lip.
About 8 years ago, I was diagnosed with prostate cancer and cured it myself by drinking Hydrogen peroxide, (another story), although I quit drinking it at least a year prior to this happening, I have wondered if it caused this.  Reading all these stories now makes me thing otherwise.
  For those who are Dizzy, try cutting out all caffeine for a month and see if that helps.  Think about anything in your diet that changed within a month of when this happened to you.  
I may try a chiropractor just for the heck of it, since a little pressure on a nerve in the neck could be causing the numbness (I do not remember and injury, but it can't hurt).
The Dizzy feeling returned, It took me a week to figure out that it was due to my wife switching us to a "more Healthy" low fat soy based coffee creamer.  This caused the right side of my face to start going numb.  Quit the creamer and dizziness stopped, but the face remains numb.  For some reason the numbness caused by soy in milk or creamer in permanent with me.  
  Many of the side effects I got from the Simvastatin still linger on.  But some are gone and others getting better.  Sleeping better, but still only 4 hours a night (better than 2).  The tiny blisters I was getting on my feet are now gone.
Anal leakage gone (Yes).  not tired all the time anymore.  Memory better, getting much more work done around the house and cars.  Peyronies still here (worst of all the side effects).  No longer trust my Doctor at all.
I just wanted to add what helped me. I am a 41 years old and woke up with the same feeling of numbness on my left side most intense in my entire left leg. I was barely able to walk straight. I always seem to find relief for headaches and muscle tightness through chiropractic adjustments. So, I went to the chiropractor, got a whole body adjustment and massage. The numbness was nearly 25% better immediately afterwards. He prescribed light aerobics (walking for me), stretching and kneading the muscles in my left leg/hip with a rolling pin. Now about 5 days later, the numbness is 85% better and has migrated mostly to part of my left foot!!! I highly recommend chiropractic. So many ailments can be caused by pinched nerves or tight muscles and misalignments.

I think it was another attempt at running that caused me past pain in my left hip and again this numbness happened 2 days after another couple attempts to run for fitness. Now I am just walking and strength training for fitness. No more running for me. The numbness after running probably stemmed from an injury I had when I was 10 years old and broke my left leg after a jump off a barn (yeah not smart). Just wanted to share what helped me and I hope this helps someone else. It's scary to lose feeling on an entire side of the body. I dislike medications as they can tend to cause more problems in the long term and never really fix the real problem. So any natural remedies are golden in my book. Hope this helps! God Bless All!
this has also happened to me and i went to physical therapy chiropractor and eventually ended up doing strengthening exercises as my whole core was weak and i was loosing my blance too...this went on for a really long time but i was able to work full time and go to school and continue at home i just kept getting sicker..ended up a chiropractor did something with my neck my axis was out or something and i started getting better i also got some massages..in the beginning i thought that i had a tick bite but i don't really think that i did..so i geuss what i am saying is don't give up because i made it through all of that stuff but it was really kind of hard and at times i thought that i had had a stroke too.  now i have moved on to much different issues..hand in there but i don't run anymore and my entire life style has changed..i am no where as agile as i use to be and wouldn't dare exercise the way that i use to i also can now take medications and when i was going through all of that they had a hard time getting me on anything my body just didn't want me to take anything..i think now i actually need about 3 surgeries..lots of things that weren't even medications helped as well...make sure you are eating right don't get toxic on anything and make sure that you are drinking lots of water and your system is getting flushed..i also at one point thought that someone had tried to poison me because i just felt like i was toxic was the weirdest thing ever but i don't think anyone tried to give me anything bad it just must of been something that was suppose to happen and i will never know why...