Neurology Community
Concussion and Tinnitus

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Concussion and Tinnitus

My mother suffered a concussion about 4 weeks ago and she still gets a terrible high pithced ringing in her ears sometimes lasting up to 24 hours.  She has been to a neurologist and ENT, but they have not been able to tell her anything.  They prescribed xanax and while it helps dull the noise, it does not do much else.  Has anyone suffered this before? Should my mother expect this to last forever, or is this a common problem post concussion?  Please help.  I am very worried about her.  Thanks.

Jason.
It may or may not be permanent. Mine was permanent after moderate concussion. Ringing gets louder in noisier environments, but less in quieter ones unless it is very quiet, then ringing gets very loud because that is all I hear. I had a CT of head after accident with an acute presentation for diffuse axonal shearing injury of the brain. I was made hearing plugs so that in restaurants, theaters, and crowds I would not feel like I was going crazy from the sound. One person has told me it is nerve damage to the hearing nerve and that I may go deaf eventually, but it has been almost 5 years. Still the same as the beginning, but do have deaf periods when ringing gets very loud with deafness. The ear devices are fitted into the ear and muffle background noise and focus only to those speaking close to you--and keep your nerves quiet too.