Neurology Community
Confused about seizures

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Confused about seizures

I had seizures when i was a child, i was on phenobarbital and dialantin for around 1 to 2 years.I had a good EEG and was taking off the medicine.Then i didnt have any more seizures for 22 years.I had a seizure out of the blue in 2005 and no one seems to be able to explain this to me,of how i could go seizure free for 22 years without medicine and then have one for no reason.
Then i had a second seizure 2007 wich had made the two seizures 18 months apart,again out of no where.The doctor said they are gran-mal seizures.
I am on Lamictal 150mgs a day it has been 4 months now since my last seizure and i am afraid everyday of having another seizure.Also when i was a teenager and older i would experience times that i would be in a conversation with someone and then it was like my brain would come to and i couldnt remember what was just said or how long my brain was like that.But i never told anyone.Could that had been seizures? If so then what kind does it sound like? I dont think it could had been gran-mal seizures.So if they was a diffrent kind of seizures  then how could i now be having gran-mal seizures.I am sorry for going on and on, im just really confused and scared every day,i am afraid to eat,drink,chew gum etc.I know you all are not doctors but any answers or advice will be helpful to me.I have told my doctor about these things but he just acts like im a nut and never gives me a answer to anything.
I am a mom of a 7 yr old little girl who unfortunately has every seizure type there is. The type of situation you are talking about sounds like absence seizures. We call it Anna's lights are on but no one is home look. She will be talking,playing etc and forget what she is doing or saying when she has one. Generally they last anywhere from 15 secs to 1 minute. As far as just one day out of the blue having a seizure. It can happen because of many different reasons. Hormone change. Stress. Lack of sleep. Chemical in balance. Anna has had seizures since birth and she has been on every FDA approved med for seizures,had brain surgery etc. Sometimes there are no real answers as to why they occur. As far as being scared..It is a normal reaction but I can tell you that you need to go on with things as normal as possible. If you do not you will be consumed with fear and your life will be miserable. You could think about getting a second opinoin as a way of some comfort and information as well. Sorry you are going through all of this. You are in my prayers.:)
Thank you for responding.I hate when i hear about a child that goes thru seizures.I had them as a child and now as a adult and i wouldnt wish them on anyone.Thank you..You are in my prayers as well.