Neurology Community
Congenital insensitivity to pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Congenital insensitivity to pain

My nephew has Congenital insensitivity to pain and due to it being a rare issue we can't seem to find a doctor that is familiar with this.  He appears normal and is a very sweet kid but he has recently had his bottom teeth pulled as he has bitten the tip of his tongue off.  He was named after my late father and I really want him to have the best possible care.  Thank you for any help that offer.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Congenital insensitivity to pain (CIP), also known as congenital analgia, congenital analgesia and congenital pain insensitivity, is one or more rare conditions where a person cannot feel (and has never felt) physical pain. It may be caused by increased production of Endorphins, genetic mutations and destruction of nerves.  It is a very difficult condition to treat. Treatments for CIP do not always work however in some cases Naloxone may be used as a treatment. Naloxone is a chemical that acts within the nervous system of the body by blocking the nervous system from causing the inactions that occur within the group of cells that receives the message to initiate the sensation of pain, heat, or cold. Please consult a neurologist to discuss the treatment option . Hope this helps you. Take care and regards!

My nephew is only 6 months old is this naloxone available to a child so young?  We have tried to consult with a neurologist, but the local ones really don't know anything about this condition, is there anyone that you could recommend for us to see.  I really want him to get the best treatment that we can.  I have researched and studies show that individuals with this condition do not live long and that really scares me.  I would like to see him have a wonderful life.  Thanks for all of your help.