Neurology Community
Could this be Trigeminal Neuralgia

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Could this be Trigeminal Neuralgia

I have been having pain in the left side of my teeth, upper and lower for the past few days. I had a root canal done on 6/13 on a lower tooth on the left side. Prior to getting root canal done I had pain only in lower teeth on left side and mainly in the tooth that got root canal done. Ever since then I was having pain on the left side in all my teeth and occasionally even pain in all my upper teeth(where no work was done) and left lower.

The pain has gotten worse and more frequent since 6/23 but seemed to be more in upper than lower, so I went to see dentist yesterday to get those looked at and get temp crown on root canaled tooth. Once the novacaine wore off when I got home the pain in my upper teeth moreso than lower teeth where work was done was about a 9-10, and nothing helped, I had vicodin left from getting root canal done and it did nothing. The pain felt throbbing/stabbing mainly in my left upper but even could feel it in all upper and left lower. It lasted for about 16 hours but I am pretty sure it is going to come back again as before I got the temp crown put on, it would come and go throughout the day.

The dentist checked the upper teeth and could find nothing wrong. Only thing he could tell was lower back molar on left side might need root canal, but I barely have any pain there compared to what I had with the tooth that I had the root canal on, so I am scheduled to see an endodontist on July 2, but I cannot go through another night like I just had and it is Friday so want to get something done ASAP to avoid a painful weekend.

This has happened to me before, a little over a year ago. I had just gotten several fillings done on my right side and after getting this done had same pains mostly on right side of teeth, but again eventually radiated to all teeth and also to above my right eye. Initially went to dentist as I thought was tooth related by found nothing wrong, so I went to PCP and he thought it was my trigeminal nerve was irritated and put me on a month's worse of neurontin which cleared the pain up........until now.

I truly feel like this is something with my trigeminal nerve as the pain seems to be more in my upper teeth where there was no work done compared to the area by where I had the root canal and temp crown done. I am going to call dentist as soon as they open and ask his opinion but will probably also go to PCP to see if I can get back on neurontin before I go through another night like I had.

It seems like dental work is a trigger for me when it comes to trigeminal nerve pain, as this happens almost every time I get some dental work done, even a cleaning but it varies in intensity and duration, with the amount of work done. This time I had been in severe pain(localized to tooth I think) for almost 2 months before root canal procedure and then the intensity has increased in the other areas since and was really put over the top yesterday after having temp crown put on to where it was near unbearable.

Any help/advice is appreciated.