Crawling sensation on side of head
So I noticed like...a month ago that I had this strange tingling sensation on the left side of my head. It felt like there were bugs crawling there (there aren't!) and then it went away for a bit. Now it's back again, and I'm worried. Twice at random intervals, I had a sharp pain over there, but I don't know what it could be. Anyone able to help?
Just curious, are you a male or female?  If female, I know of  alot of women who have this feeling, is usually hormonal, with me it is.  I also get this sometimes before a migraine hits.  I know its very nerve racking, you think there are bugs on your scalp and you look and nothing.  
I am a female, and now that you mention it, my cycle is starting pretty soon for the month *rolls eyes*. That makes me feel much better. Thanks much!
also some meds can cause this especially antihestimines and antidepressants !!
What about antibiotics, specifically tetracycline? I've been on that for the past month or so for an infection
I HAVE CRAWLING SENTIIOIN AT LEAST TWICE WEEK MOSTLY WHEN I HAD STRESSFUL DAY WHICH IS EVERY DAY I ALSO GET A TING IN CERTAIN PARTS OF MY BODY...I AM WORRIED I ALSO WENT TO SEE MY DOCTOR AND THEY DONT THINK IT IS ANYTHING TO WORRY ABOTU BUT ID DO  I HAD A TIA IN 2004 WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST I AM A 56 YR OLD FEMAL AND I AM FULL TIME EMPLOYEE AND HAVE A SICK HUSBAND
I've had that too.  Tetracycline caused me major anxiety.  What helped me with the head crawlies was an over the counter allergy med called chlorpheniramine maleate.  Sounds weird, I know, but it really helped.  I have my own opinion on what causes it but it's kind of "out there".
m havng ds crawling sensatn at d ryt syd of my head..n it has been frm 1 n half yrs..2-3 monnths ago it vanished..bt now..i cant sleep...its too irritating..coz as soon i lie on bed..smthng starts wriggling...i cn say crawling...n wn i relax on chair even den...

wat is ds...m really worried..coz m jst 18..n i dnt thnk dt such type of problem occurs at ds age..i dint told my mom evn abt it...
plzz help me out...jst tell me..is it jst coz of tension..or wat is ds...
So Weird to find this posting,
This happened to my mom, at the time was sixty six years of age in 2003. She was suffering a major depression over a severe bereavment, isolated and slept alot. This was the first experience she articulated to me,.. Then after began having paranoid delusion type dreams; someone comming to take her away, another harm was happening to me, and alot of alarming thoughts. Only thing I was confused about was that mom had slight medium abilities her whole life; and a family member insisted she attend a evangelical service, They pulled to the stage and place their hand on her head to pray, Not sure if something occured spiritually or medically but she slept alot afterwards and had crawling feelings inside the side of her head. She been on medications for Alzheimers now five years. Doctors finding were based on family history alone to make the Diagnosis. But this alway remained with me noted it down on an old sticky; and here I am. anyone have any other light shedding info, ***@****
Caregiving son
I don't know how I know this but I believe it is some kind of  protein attached to bacteria namely enteroccus that travels along sensory neural pathways. In other words it is bacteria that has traveled to a different location then it where it is usually found in the body. It maybe like a colony of bacteria that the body doesn't recognize has being foreign. I have this problem after taking cipro and flagyl. It is very hard to live with.
Your symptoms make me think of MS and that symptom is called Parathesia... I refer to it as  'creepy crawly' skin. It is hard for me to disinguish whether something is actually crawing on me or is it just 'the creepy crawlies'. You may also consider taking antihistimines  like  hydrozyzine to control the sensation

Good luck,,,
l have a tingling feeling down my left arm ,it feels like l've walked through cob webs.do you know what would cause that??
Last night I felt a crawling feeling under my scalp. I am a male an bald. I requested my wife to check what is crawling on my head. She said nothing is crawling on my head, yet I was feeling the crawling on the left side of my head, starting at the back moving forward on the left side of my Head. It was so real and yet nothing could be seen. I felt all the crawling under my scalp.
What could be the cause of this feeling. This was the very first time I expereince this. I do not suffer from any Headaches or Migraines. I am very healthy and not ill at all.
I know that I was continuously driving for about 14 hours and drank two Red Bulls during the last five hours.
Please advise. Errol at ***@****
My 80 yr old mother is suffering from crawling sensations in her head. we've tried injections, meds, every medical test known, neurologists, accupuncture, nothing works. any ideas will help
All the posts here seem to describe what was happening to me, now for 15 years. It first started as a kind of stif thing at the back of my head above my neck. when I touched it really felt stif...and then this crawling thing started all over, especially going from back to forward. It looked to be worse when I take tea/coffee. And I was in Uni at that time. so the doctors said nothing to worry and to take it easy with my studies. but ever since then, I am living with this senssations and could not find any thing of help. sometimes, also, I get the feeling to be worser when I use the computer.

suspected it could be an eye problem
- got checked for dry eye and took medication,
- now wear eye glass whenever I use the computer
but problem is still there

read a resource that could be tension
-my doctor said I am not sleeping well, and I need to take coffee and that exasperates tension. he advised me to take sleeping pills for a while, and stop taking caffinated drinks. I did so, felt a little better but the crawling feeling is still there

and then I read about such is caused by dandruff
- bought heads and shoulders and also nizoral 1 anti-dandruff shampoo along with the ointment to rub of my scalp every night - per my doctor's advise. No change..

Also, after I got this feelings, it seems my memory is declining. I am not sure 100% this is caused by that..but I am afraid there could be a relationship. My mind gets tired over the simplest puzzle.

Now, this case looks strange to the doctors. only we, the "patients" could understand the annoying feelings, and God knows what further complications it is a result of...

In any case, is there any one who got an idea what this is and how to get it treated??

thanks and please also forward your comments to erimasmak AT gmail.com
l feel for you indeed as l feel for myself because l have had similar experience for 15 years after l had my first baby.
Doctor find it difficult to diagnose,friends and co workers look at you like you are a bunch of problem.
The annoying part is that you are the only one that feels these trauma and pain. some time you appear healthy but half dead inwardly
.
Even now, my symptoms are on but l have spoken to my spirit,soul and body that l will not be limited by this awkward sensation.
Ranging from one sided crawling sensation,to severe headache,to apprehension,to stomach disturbances,to feeling of one sided weakness,to visual blurriness,to some degree of memory loose,to neck,stiffness,to tingling and twitching sensation. oh my GOS ,BY WHOSE STRIPES L AM STILL IN THE LAND OF THE LIVING AND WILL BE MADE WHOLE.
lt comes up sometimes and disappears within a short time,it comes up some other time a makes me a complainant for  weeks.
One doctor will diagnose anxiety,another -stress,another chronic or classic migraine, another hyperthyroidism,another stress ulcer... God knows the actual thing honestly.
It is frustrating but keep on believing God for healing. He is the balm of Gilead and l noticed that whenever l pray with a broken heart about this,give myself rest period and take my medications( buscopan,foricet,or nortriptylline),i have a considerable period of relief .That is me for now.
I have just experienced the same feeling it almost feels like a bug on your head  ,yet there is nothing there .its always in the same spot and once in a while i also feel it on the right side . i was thinking maybe its a nerve and will go away  but its been 3 days  and still there it comes and goes its not painful at all just annoying
i have these as well on my left side the most and the right side too no pain just annoying but now across the back of my head from left to right is numb.....any thoughts I have fibro, IBS, arthritis in the back, degen disc, herniated discs and bulging disks in back
About 2months ago I was experiencing the same tingling crawling sensation, along the left side of my head just over my ear and behind my ear.   it was so bad, that I actually thought that maybe I had head lice.  I went to see my doctor to  rule it out.    Now its back, and its driving me crazy. Its not painful like one person commented, but its annoying as hell.  Its constant and disrupting my sleep.  Im not a doctor, but I can't help wonder if this is a nerve response of some sort..

Any comments ?

Tess
I have had crazy disturbances where my body has not been normal in the least, and doctors look and see anxiety and look no further. it's been three months, and I am progressively getting worse and this is on of my symptoms. But it's like an episode. none of this happens regularly, and not before this year, and it has happened 3 times. I have the tingling on the right side of my head, my face feels numb, my skin suddenly flushed splotchy purple all over, and my skin will feel tight and I feel like I am being pinched all over, I have to pee way more often than I ever used to, my bowel movements hurt because my abdomen is in such excruciating pain,  even the bowel movements themselves are not normal-not diarrhea, not constipation, but sort of sticky and smells bad? And I can't get rid of all of it. And I get indigestion and chest pain for no reason, my breasts ache, and  am really weak-my legs are like noodles and my body is just going crazy.

Something is wrong, does anyone know? I'm a 18 year old female and scared because I've seen myself change so much over the past few months, and my blood work shows up fine, however. Are these referred pains? Could there really be a bigger systematic issue? I just want to be in control of my body again. Please. I am really desperate to get better.
I have all these symptoms.  Tingling weird sensation in my scalp.  Restless leg syndrome... numbness.. fullness in the upper inner side of my head, randomly switching sides... crawly sensations.. and burning painful neuropathy...

I am 48 year old man.. the diabetic symptoms are lreatively new, but all the strange neurological type stuff I have had for 30 years now.  I have learned to accept it.  Some of you ask "What is wrong?" or "there must be something wrong.".. but honestly for literally most of us there is nothing "wrong" other than our own human condition.  We will all die someday just appreciate every day you have, and come up with a way, any way to think positive and deal with these strange symptoms.. it is our "normal".  Get educated, build some weslth, enjoy this life.. etc.  The Doctors are a waste of your time unless they truly find something in the beginning.  I did the "I'm dying thing" for sooo long.  One time I did an experiment... I felt so sick, so wierd, so strange.. that I was convinced I had to be dying, had to be.. (this was like 10 years into the onset of these weird symptoms already.)  so I literally circle the date on a calendar and said to myself "OK, if this is soomething serious I will simply be dead or disabled at some point in the near future... and as years went by and I looked at that calendar and kept realizing I was fine... not dead, not disabled yet... it lost its power.  I still have all the weirdness, but I think its my normal.  Next timne you feel your worst.. grab a calendar, circle that day.. and save it forever somewhere in your stuff... I promise you , when you feel horrible some day 15 years later ... and you reference it... you will be amazed at how ironically comforting that dam calendar will be for you.  And don't worry about it, we are all going to die eventually who cares.
So at least i'm not the only one who has been having these sensations, the crawling tingling scalp. It is so bizarre and at least you all haven't been diagnosed with some wild terminal illness. I feel like it is probably neurological but I have not gone to my PCP yet. This makes sleeping nearly impossible because of wanting to touch/itch the crawling sensation away. I have a few theories behind this my primary one being a occasional spiritual drug user and having a trippy experience where I first felt this "electric like cap on over my head". The second one being that I was on a heavy course of multiple strong antibiotics for several month and I think around this time the crawling/ tingling started which like this person said..
"I don't know how I know this but I believe it is some kind of  protein attached to bacteria namely enteroccus that travels along sensory neural pathways. In other words it is bacteria that has traveled to a different location then it where it is usually found in the body. It maybe like a colony of bacteria that the body doesn't recognize has being foreign. I have this problem after taking cipro and flagyl. It is very hard to live with."
Check your vitamins. I took a multi and it was tinted greeen. I had the itching. And crawling sensation on back of head. When I stopped them it went away. It came back recently while taking a b12 supplement. Hope this helps.
i am also having vitamin B12 from last 11 days and from last 7 days i am having this strange sensation on right upper head, feel like touching. its not painful.
i had a similar crawling sensation in the skull and right ear, saw an ENT, he said its due to excessive mucus in the nasal region thus causing the sensation and pressure in the ear.
prescribed Ezolvin along with anti histamine Clara , and otrivin nasal spray.

he advised that with this treatment it should be ok in the next 4-5 days.
I have the same since 2010. Did MRI scan, heart ultrasound,different blood test, acupu.. physio...osteopathy ... its anxiety and stress definitely. Tension caused by anxiety and stress goes over the neck shoulder an jaw...clenching jaw during a day and / or sleep that causes pressure to blood vessels and facial nerves. I am using night guard made by dentist and its helping me alot.
Regullar Exercisse is the best.
I know its hard to fight it but Don't fight because it will be worse.  Just let the symptoms make their job and go away.. and with the time .. we'll learn to controll them. That's all. Sorry for my Gramar.
Hey Arian just curious what your symptoms are? I have a crawling sensation in my forehead mostly over my right eye like tickling, bugs, crawling which is there pretty much 24-7. I also have health anxiety and hypochondria do you have something similar? Mines been going on about 5-6 months now...freaking out its a crainal nerve tumor.
Hi guys, I am going to see a neurologist for this now but it worries me that some say they have tried all medications and it remains. If it is hormonal and accompanied by migraines as some suggest, which seems likely since I get migraines has anyone tried drinking tart cherry juice? It is anti-inflammatory and usually helps me with the migraine sensation and I dont have issues while I drink it. It is just expensive and not all supermarkets carry large doses of it so I'm not always great about keeping up the intake and then the migraines come back. Give it a try. I may start taking it as a supplement if the neurologist isn't helpful.
I have been having the same issue for some time now- I spoke to a friend who is a priest and he gave me a solution that was the only thing that helped. Firstly get 100% pure olive oil and pour it directly on the scalp when you feel it. Secondly, find a church that believes in deliverance and ask them to pray with you. I was skeptical at first but after he explained that it wasn't a sickness but rather more like voodoo to cause insanity, it made sense! You may not believe me, but if you're desperate for relief, what have you got to lose? Hope this helps!