NEUROLOGY
COMMUNITY
Crawling sensation on side of head
by EDCCS, Apr 06, 2007
So I noticed like...a month ago that I had this strange tingling sensation on the left side of my head. It felt like there were bugs crawling there (there aren't!) and then it went away for a bit. Now it's back again, and I'm worried. Twice at random intervals, I had a sharp pain over there, but I don't know what it could be. Anyone able to help?
Member Comments (16)
by Jenny Wren, Apr 06, 2007
Just curious, are you a male or female?  If female, I know of  alot of women who have this feeling, is usually hormonal, with me it is.  I also get this sometimes before a migraine hits.  I know its very nerve racking, you think there are bugs on your scalp and you look and nothing.  
by EDCCS, Apr 06, 2007
I am a female, and now that you mention it, my cycle is starting pretty soon for the month *rolls eyes*. That makes me feel much better. Thanks much!
by donna80, Apr 07, 2007
also some meds can cause this especially antihestimines and antidepressants !!
by EDCCS, Apr 08, 2007
What about antibiotics, specifically tetracycline? I've been on that for the past month or so for an infection
by thenther1, Sep 25, 2008
I HAVE CRAWLING SENTIIOIN AT LEAST TWICE WEEK MOSTLY WHEN I HAD STRESSFUL DAY WHICH IS EVERY DAY I ALSO GET A TING IN CERTAIN PARTS OF MY BODY...I AM WORRIED I ALSO WENT TO SEE MY DOCTOR AND THEY DONT THINK IT IS ANYTHING TO WORRY ABOTU BUT ID DO  I HAD A TIA IN 2004 WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST I AM A 56 YR OLD FEMAL AND I AM FULL TIME EMPLOYEE AND HAVE A SICK HUSBAND
by NewNature, Jul 01, 2009
I've had that too.  Tetracycline caused me major anxiety.  What helped me with the head crawlies was an over the counter allergy med called chlorpheniramine maleate.  Sounds weird, I know, but it really helped.  I have my own opinion on what causes it but it's kind of "out there".
by mahi1612, Sep 11, 2009
m havng ds crawling sensatn at d ryt syd of my head..n it has been frm 1 n half yrs..2-3 monnths ago it vanished..bt now..i cant sleep...its too irritating..coz as soon i lie on bed..smthng starts wriggling...i cn say crawling...n wn i relax on chair even den...

wat is ds...m really worried..coz m jst 18..n i dnt thnk dt such type of problem occurs at ds age..i dint told my mom evn abt it...
plzz help me out...jst tell me..is it jst coz of tension..or wat is ds...
by Soliste, Jan 18, 2010
So Weird to find this posting,
This happened to my mom, at the time was sixty six years of age in 2003. She was suffering a major depression over a severe bereavment, isolated and slept alot. This was the first experience she articulated to me,.. Then after began having paranoid delusion type dreams; someone comming to take her away, another harm was happening to me, and alot of alarming thoughts. Only thing I was confused about was that mom had slight medium abilities her whole life; and a family member insisted she attend a evangelical service, They pulled to the stage and place their hand on her head to pray, Not sure if something occured spiritually or medically but she slept alot afterwards and had crawling feelings inside the side of her head. She been on medications for Alzheimers now five years. Doctors finding were based on family history alone to make the Diagnosis. But this alway remained with me noted it down on an old sticky; and here I am. anyone have any other light shedding info, ***@****
Caregiving son
by glory2b, Oct 15, 2010
I don't know how I know this but I believe it is some kind of  protein attached to bacteria namely enteroccus that travels along sensory neural pathways. In other words it is bacteria that has traveled to a different location then it where it is usually found in the body. It maybe like a colony of bacteria that the body doesn't recognize has being foreign. I have this problem after taking cipro and flagyl. It is very hard to live with.