Neurology Community
Crawling sensation on side of head

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Crawling sensation on side of head

So I noticed like...a month ago that I had this strange tingling sensation on the left side of my head. It felt like there were bugs crawling there (there aren't!) and then it went away for a bit. Now it's back again, and I'm worried. Twice at random intervals, I had a sharp pain over there, but I don't know what it could be. Anyone able to help?
Just curious, are you a male or female?  If female, I know of  alot of women who have this feeling, is usually hormonal, with me it is.  I also get this sometimes before a migraine hits.  I know its very nerve racking, you think there are bugs on your scalp and you look and nothing.  
I am a female, and now that you mention it, my cycle is starting pretty soon for the month *rolls eyes*. That makes me feel much better. Thanks much!
also some meds can cause this especially antihestimines and antidepressants !!
What about antibiotics, specifically tetracycline? I've been on that for the past month or so for an infection
I HAVE CRAWLING SENTIIOIN AT LEAST TWICE WEEK MOSTLY WHEN I HAD STRESSFUL DAY WHICH IS EVERY DAY I ALSO GET A TING IN CERTAIN PARTS OF MY BODY...I AM WORRIED I ALSO WENT TO SEE MY DOCTOR AND THEY DONT THINK IT IS ANYTHING TO WORRY ABOTU BUT ID DO  I HAD A TIA IN 2004 WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST I AM A 56 YR OLD FEMAL AND I AM FULL TIME EMPLOYEE AND HAVE A SICK HUSBAND
I've had that too.  Tetracycline caused me major anxiety.  What helped me with the head crawlies was an over the counter allergy med called chlorpheniramine maleate.  Sounds weird, I know, but it really helped.  I have my own opinion on what causes it but it's kind of "out there".
m havng ds crawling sensatn at d ryt syd of my head..n it has been frm 1 n half yrs..2-3 monnths ago it vanished..bt now..i cant sleep...its too irritating..coz as soon i lie on bed..smthng starts wriggling...i cn say crawling...n wn i relax on chair even den...

wat is ds...m really worried..coz m jst 18..n i dnt thnk dt such type of problem occurs at ds age..i dint told my mom evn abt it...
plzz help me out...jst tell me..is it jst coz of tension..or wat is ds...
So Weird to find this posting,
This happened to my mom, at the time was sixty six years of age in 2003. She was suffering a major depression over a severe bereavment, isolated and slept alot. This was the first experience she articulated to me,.. Then after began having paranoid delusion type dreams; someone comming to take her away, another harm was happening to me, and alot of alarming thoughts. Only thing I was confused about was that mom had slight medium abilities her whole life; and a family member insisted she attend a evangelical service, They pulled to the stage and place their hand on her head to pray, Not sure if something occured spiritually or medically but she slept alot afterwards and had crawling feelings inside the side of her head. She been on medications for Alzheimers now five years. Doctors finding were based on family history alone to make the Diagnosis. But this alway remained with me noted it down on an old sticky; and here I am. anyone have any other light shedding info, ***@****
Caregiving son
I don't know how I know this but I believe it is some kind of  protein attached to bacteria namely enteroccus that travels along sensory neural pathways. In other words it is bacteria that has traveled to a different location then it where it is usually found in the body. It maybe like a colony of bacteria that the body doesn't recognize has being foreign. I have this problem after taking cipro and flagyl. It is very hard to live with.
Your symptoms make me think of MS and that symptom is called Parathesia... I refer to it as  'creepy crawly' skin. It is hard for me to disinguish whether something is actually crawing on me or is it just 'the creepy crawlies'. You may also consider taking antihistimines  like  hydrozyzine to control the sensation

Good luck,,,
l have a tingling feeling down my left arm ,it feels like l've walked through cob webs.do you know what would cause that??
Last night I felt a crawling feeling under my scalp. I am a male an bald. I requested my wife to check what is crawling on my head. She said nothing is crawling on my head, yet I was feeling the crawling on the left side of my head, starting at the back moving forward on the left side of my Head. It was so real and yet nothing could be seen. I felt all the crawling under my scalp.
What could be the cause of this feeling. This was the very first time I expereince this. I do not suffer from any Headaches or Migraines. I am very healthy and not ill at all.
I know that I was continuously driving for about 14 hours and drank two Red Bulls during the last five hours.
Please advise. Errol at ***@****
My 80 yr old mother is suffering from crawling sensations in her head. we've tried injections, meds, every medical test known, neurologists, accupuncture, nothing works. any ideas will help
All the posts here seem to describe what was happening to me, now for 15 years. It first started as a kind of stif thing at the back of my head above my neck. when I touched it really felt stif...and then this crawling thing started all over, especially going from back to forward. It looked to be worse when I take tea/coffee. And I was in Uni at that time. so the doctors said nothing to worry and to take it easy with my studies. but ever since then, I am living with this senssations and could not find any thing of help. sometimes, also, I get the feeling to be worser when I use the computer.

suspected it could be an eye problem
- got checked for dry eye and took medication,
- now wear eye glass whenever I use the computer
but problem is still there

read a resource that could be tension
-my doctor said I am not sleeping well, and I need to take coffee and that exasperates tension. he advised me to take sleeping pills for a while, and stop taking caffinated drinks. I did so, felt a little better but the crawling feeling is still there

and then I read about such is caused by dandruff
- bought heads and shoulders and also nizoral 1 anti-dandruff shampoo along with the ointment to rub of my scalp every night - per my doctor's advise. No change..

Also, after I got this feelings, it seems my memory is declining. I am not sure 100% this is caused by that..but I am afraid there could be a relationship. My mind gets tired over the simplest puzzle.

Now, this case looks strange to the doctors. only we, the "patients" could understand the annoying feelings, and God knows what further complications it is a result of...

In any case, is there any one who got an idea what this is and how to get it treated??

thanks and please also forward your comments to erimasmak AT gmail.com
l feel for you indeed as l feel for myself because l have had similar experience for 15 years after l had my first baby.
Doctor find it difficult to diagnose,friends and co workers look at you like you are a bunch of problem.
The annoying part is that you are the only one that feels these trauma and pain. some time you appear healthy but half dead inwardly
.
Even now, my symptoms are on but l have spoken to my spirit,soul and body that l will not be limited by this awkward sensation.
Ranging from one sided crawling sensation,to severe headache,to apprehension,to stomach disturbances,to feeling of one sided weakness,to visual blurriness,to some degree of memory loose,to neck,stiffness,to tingling and twitching sensation. oh my GOS ,BY WHOSE STRIPES L AM STILL IN THE LAND OF THE LIVING AND WILL BE MADE WHOLE.
lt comes up sometimes and disappears within a short time,it comes up some other time a makes me a complainant for  weeks.
One doctor will diagnose anxiety,another -stress,another chronic or classic migraine, another hyperthyroidism,another stress ulcer... God knows the actual thing honestly.
It is frustrating but keep on believing God for healing. He is the balm of Gilead and l noticed that whenever l pray with a broken heart about this,give myself rest period and take my medications( buscopan,foricet,or nortriptylline),i have a considerable period of relief .That is me for now.
I have just experienced the same feeling it almost feels like a bug on your head  ,yet there is nothing there .its always in the same spot and once in a while i also feel it on the right side . i was thinking maybe its a nerve and will go away  but its been 3 days  and still there it comes and goes its not painful at all just annoying