Dementia in MS?
I have a good friend who stays with me periodically. We both have MS. His symptoms began with cognitive problems some 25 years ago and these remain his most disabling MS symptom. He describes things like swimming head, inability to concentrate, is unable to track with his eyes, has severe mental fatigue, is very slow to make sense of what he is seeing, is unable to follow a conversation involving more than two people, and cannot keep up with a flow of any conversation for more than a few minutes. Added to this is severe pain and spasms, making his life pretty miserable. Make that very miserable.

When he stays with me I take care of him. Please can you help me understand the extent to which dementia might be an early symptom of MS? I need some understanding of this so I can help in him the best ways possible. He seems to be becoming more and more depressed and doesn't seem able to explain his situation to his doctor.

Liz
I feel your pain. I have been living with MS for nearly 27 years. My primary disability is cognitive (hidden) with a little physical disability. I had some neuro-psych testing done in 1995 and the Dr. said I was demented! It has taken me quite some time to accept this. I don't drive anymore. I volunteer at the hospital where my wife works. I stopped working full time in 1993. I have an engineering degree and MBA, all of which is meaningless today. I just can't think like I used to. But acceptance is the hurdle towards recovery. I would be glad to share more if you would like. ***@****.