Neurology Community
Different Types of Neuropathies and treatment

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

My husband has idiopathic axonal sensorimotor peripheral neuropathy.  At this stage, the only treatment is for pain management.  I have seen ads for Lyrica and Cymbalta, but they specify effectiveness only for diabetic neuropathy.  Would either of these medications be effective for my husband?  Is there a difference in treating neuropathy due to its cause? Presently he takes Neurontin, Elavil, Tramadol and Oxycontin. He receives the medications from his internist.  We live close enough to Stanford to take a trip to the pain clinic there.  The internist discouraged us.  Would that hold any hope for better pain management?

Thanks in advance
I have had neck surgery and fusion at c5-c6c7 and have been on alot of different med for pin and needles in arm and hand and neck area. i have taken neurtion and elvail and vicodin and durgessis patches for pain for almost 4yrs. I'm on lycria and clymbata and durgessis patches, but i have seen a difference since  the change over of the meds. The same meds that work on the problems you spoke of work on the our pain. i now have another pinch nerve. if you are that close to a pain management center i would go and try anything instead of all the meds . Beleive me i have tried injections and blocks to get releif. i want pain management to get me off the pain killers daily. there are pain specialist that don't use meds.
good luck