Neurology Community
Difficulty Writing

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Difficulty Writing

I have been having trouble with putting pen to paper and writing. It started one day about a year ago right after I graduated from college- I woke up and tried to write something and before my pen would touch paper it was like my brain stopped my hand and I couldn't get my pen to the paper. It took several minutes before I could even write something. When I finally was able to write something my hand jerked and a mark went down the page.  

This has been continual throughout the last year.  I have good writing days and bad writing days. Most are bad writing days. It's almost as though my mind has to be ready to write and even then I have to tense my hand to even feel like I can control my pen. I have been holding off on going to doctor because I know it is going to be very expensive!

When I write on a dry erase board with a marker- I am fine and my writing is fine. It's when I am writing on paper with a pen or pencil that I cannot write.

I have done a little research, but everything says something different. I found one chat line where a lady had the same situation that I do and her doctor classified her as SAD- I read through this and feel as though I do not have that ! I do recognize that I do have some sort of anxiety- I just went through having a baby a year and a half ago and I had PostPartum Depression and was on Zoloft- I have recently weined off of it. However, I am not inclined to believe it is linked with PP because I have had the writing problem before that!

I found another lady who has the same problem and her doctor said she had a problem with Carpel Tunnel. However, most people who had this problem said they went to a doctor and the doctor could not find the problem. I don't want to go see a doctor and spend all that money only to find out that the doctor cannot find the problem. At the same time, I am worried that this problem may be something more serious, such as a brain tumor, etc...

Any advice or comments you could give would be greatly appreciated! One more note- nothing else in my life has seemed to change, except my handwriting.  

Schoena
Tags: writing
I'm not a health professional. I am a epilepsy patient with a friend that has "aphasia". It sounds like your writing problems "may" be expressive aphasia - difficulty in writing or speaking or both. Do you also have problems with interpretation of others speaking to you?
You absolutely need to see a neurologist ASAP - a good one. I can understand your reluctance, as I have been guilty of that when I first started having seizures, but whatever it is, remember you are not alone. Just get help and move forward! good luck
randy
my child is only seven and one doctor says he may be having dyslexia.it was a nightmare for me to hear this.dont beleive all u say. just keep thinking that whatever it is it will go away as easily as it started.i keep asking my child to practice over and over again.he is doing good.now the doctor is saying he is fine and shows no signs of dyslexia.thank god.u too will do well.dont worry.its sometimes the worrying that makes things worse.bye.god bless you.
hi schoena i was also havin a similar problem of writing i met many doctor and told them but non was able to diagnose the problem I went to ayurvedic doc he gave me  smritisagar ras and it worked for me wonderfully I am also suffering from depression and i am taking ayurvedic meds along with allopathic but I take them after a gap of 2 to 3 hrs if u have any doubt do contact me
I am 32years old, developed difficulty in writing when i was in the University, about 5 years ago. I still have the problem uptill now. I need help, i feel ashamed not being able to write well again, and whenever i,m tensed up, it gets worse.
http://bpdayurveda.blogspot.com/2011/12/my-symptoms-of-borderline-personality.html  Plz visit this blog I have poste my proble as well as solution, but the problem is the poor quality of th medicine that I have taken
I am a 2nd year engineering student in kenya and I have this problem with my hand such that I can't write with a pen, my hand becomes tense I have to dorce myself to write sometimes the fingers just weaken and the pen just slips down, my brain is willing but my fingers aren't. Though I do type very well. As at now am out of college for two weeks since I can' write notes or take any exam due to this condition, I have seen doctors but all tests they have done turnout negative, I have read in here that ayurvedic doctor can help by gaving a  smritisagar ras please someone recommend / help me, please, please, please, I get this doctor
Regards,
Henderson
***@****
+254720289991
Hi, I am 19 years boy from karnal haryana and i am also suffering from this problem.
I only sweat on one side of my face. What does it mean?is there a doctor that I can see for this?I am getting married soon and I don't want to sweat all over my tuxedo and wife. Please help