Neurology Community
Dilated Left Pupil

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Dilated Left Pupil

Co worker noticed my left pupil was very dilated last Thursday morning.   I had no other symptoms.  Went to ER and they did blood panel to rule out diabetes; CT scan which was normal and MR brain and head w/no contrast and all came back normal.  Pupil was normal by end of day and has remained that way.  I'm a 61 year old female.  My blood pressure was normal (I do take blood pressure meds), my cholesterol levels have always been well within the normal range.  I had been taking Adipex-P to lose about 10 lbs.  The only thing the emergency room doctor thought could have caused the dilation was somehow I touched the pill, touched my eye (maybe putting in a contact) and the stimulant dilated my pupils.  Is that even plausible?  Also, while there was no sign of a stroke, could this have been a TIA...though I had no other symptoms?  I am seeing a neuro-opthamologist in 10 days, the earliest he could see me.  How worried should I be?  I was travelling when this happened and wondering if I should go to the ER here in LA at UCLA even before my appointment.  I have had irregular heart beats over the past six months...they only last for several seconds and maybe once every couple of weeks.  Had an EKG and echocardiogram which was normal--could this have caused the dilation?
Tags: pupils
How long have you been taking the Adipex-P?  In my opinion, that is the problem.  I don't think this was a TIA/Stroke.  

I don't know about touching the pill and then touching your eye theory; just the meer fact that you are taking this medication is enough to cause problems.