Dizzy and Blur Vision while driving
I am a 43 yo female who recently started having major problems with dizziness while driving.  I recently started driving 2 hours to and from work.  I am having a difficult time explaining the symptoms.  I was driving home from work and began to feel like everything was moving too fast but I was sitting still.  My vision became blurred and I began  to be unable to focus.  I feel like my car is not touching the road and I have no control.  Medical History: Diagnosed w/fibromuscular dysplasia w/renal artery stenosis 7 years ago; gastric surgery 5 years ago;plastic surgery in July (breast reduction and tummy tuck; high blood pressure and I am hypoglecemic. My PCP states he heard something in my neck and has ordered a Caritoid Ultrasound but I am concern that this is not my problem and it is something we are missing. I am having a low grade headache;some low grade burred vision; dizziness when turning over in the bed and some facial pain behind my eyes.  Please tell me if we should be looking at other things.  I have to drive back and forth to work so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Have you ever considered it to be Vertigo? It can make you feel this way and can cause migraines.
I just found this on a Google search for highway vertigo and read through it, it's very interesting.  I've had very similar things happen (vertigo on the highway over a certain speed/on downhills etc) but I don't have it 100% of the time and some highways are ok, others are not. Some of it seems like panic or anxiety attacks, which is something I am familiar with, unfortunately,  Those started 12 years ago when my father became really ill and never completely went away.  In my case, this problem with highway vertigo and these attacks of whatever they are seems to be related to having things moving on both sides of my field of vision or a wide open view on a downhill grade.  Example, when I am in the right lane and a major exit splits off on my right side where I have cars moving faster than I am on both sides. That can really set it off and it can get scary, sometimes I need to slow down but I've always forced myself to continue driving.  Sometimes I can drive in the middle lane without problems, sometimes it's bad.  I noticed at a sporting event where we had seats hanging out over the lower arena with a video screen on one side and movement on the other, clear plexiglas in front.  That was bad in a very similar way and I had to get up and move, just a few rows up where I had something on each side was okay.  I've also had it happen to a lesser degree on a small road when sunlight filters through trees and does a strobe light effect.  

I'm interested in the various thoughts about cervical vertigo because I have upper back and neck problems, it generally feels like someone is branding me between the shoulder blades with a hot iron, I've learned to ignore it over time.  I do have a good chiro and I will ask her about cervical vertigo.  

My question for you other poor souls is whether you have brain fog and fatigue to go along with this?  Some days it's all I can do to get out of bed and put one foot in front of the other and I'm usually a bit of a spaz.  I suspect it's all due to blood flow to the brain or something like that, since I'm blessed with normal to low blood pressure and excellent health otherwise in all other measureable ways (I'm 52).  It's gotta be something hit or miss, I slept wrong or something silly like that because some days are a lot better than others and if it was something more serious I should have it more consistently.  

I was diagnosed some years ago with General Anxiety Disorder around the time that the panic attacks started and went through CBT to sort a lot of that out.  I've never taken meds because of the side effects, I was recently given a script for the smallest dose of Buspar and I've thought of taking that as a test for it being anxiety related.  However, I'd like to find the root cause rather than medicate the symptoms so the chiro and the various vertigo versions seem to be a place to start.  Good luck to everyone, this certainly ***** when it happens and all these comments have been really helpful.  
Thank you for sharing your experience, but most of the posters are NOT experiencing panic attacks. They do panic, but only because they suddenly feel like they are going to pass out while driving at high freeway speeds.
Thank you for so succinctly explaining what has also been happening .
Some additional info. I would like to share that may help give some clues to others is: The first time this happened I had inadvertently overdosed on caffeine by drinking large amounts of soda and taking a vitamin packet I bought at a gas station. It turns out the "herbal energy" tablets have major amounts of natural cafiiiene! I had to pull,over several times because I had the sudden feeling that I was about to black out. The next morning I woke up, splashed water on my face, and couldn't tell where my hands were. I later found out this is a common experience just before you pass out. I instinctively went to the floor and put my head between my knees. I then called 911 because thought I was having a stroke. As the paramedics were questioning me I told them about the day before and said thenonlynthing I did different was large amounts of caffeine and the vitamin packet. BINGO! They told me about the largemampuntsmof caffeine in the "energy" pill. I don't remember which tests the ER ran, but they did everyone to check for signs of a stroke. All tests came back normal.
After this valid "caffeine overdose" explanation, I thought the problem would never happen again, but it has on random occasions.
Here are the common criteria:
Driving for long periods of time
Night
Worse white oncoming lights, and or breaks in patterns
Dirty windshield and/or glasses ( happened once during the day)
Tired
Possibly related to caffeine intake, but not enoug episodes to generate enough data

Background on possible contributing medical issues:
Female
48 years old ( first episode approx. 12 years ago)
Treated for TMJ wear night appliance for grinding and jaw forward
Approx. 30 pounds overweight
Surgery for deviated septum, polip and swollen turbinate did help some with apnea and snoring issues
Never had panic attacks
Once I started teaching middle school in a high crime area, I went on antidepressants to help deal with the stress Paxil first, last few years switched to Lexapro ( you would be surprised how many teachers in southern CA are on antidepressants to deal with the stress of the job!!!)
Noticed memory issues once taking antidepressants, but acute stress can
also exacerbate this problem

What
I'm exactly like JavaJulie with the same activities on computers a day. For medical story I've been treated for tension headache 7 years ago with FIORICET. I also have a strong headache after getting drunk from beer oe any other alcohol type drink. I don't eat meat if that may count.
It's the coffee
I have the exact same condition. The jolting feeling like you are falling asleep is scary, especially considering I am not tired!
I have been getting this since January 2013. Lately it's been even when driving on the highway at 45 mph. I feel like everything is going so fast. When I look at a car going in the opposite directing or I pass a sign, it looks like it's flying past me. :(
After many months of seeing specialists, I now know my diagnosis: Vestibluar Migaine.  Please learn about Vestibular Migraine b/c it does not have to involve pain, causes dizziness, can be constant, often triggred by motion (driving)...  I'm so relieved to finally know what it is.  Treatment includes vestibular depressant med's, which may take months to take full effect, but it is worth it!  I can now drive on the hwy. in the dark at 50 MPH.  It has absolutely nothing to do with anxiety, so please don't think there is anything you can do on your own.  PT severely exacerbated my condition when I was put on a driving simulator! I hope you can take this info. to your PCP, ENT, Nuerologist or whoever is treating you b/c it is not a well-known condition, but is suffered by many.  My ENT also said he expectes it to subside by the time I reach my 60's.
I need help, Please someone  give me some advices
I am 56 years old, smoking, have tyroid problem and high cholesterol taking medicine daily thyroxine 112 Mg for tyroid and atorvastatine 10Mg for Cholesterol. But daily I fell healthy normal life working, eating, sleeping..
This is the first time in my life to have a symptom like this. On 10/11/13 when I was driving and I felt dizziness , nausea, unstable felling in 1 minutes I stop and rest for 5 minutes I felt ok, but  next day 10/12/13 morning after driving for 2 miles, especial get on freeway for more 2 miles, symptom star to develop very quickly, feeling look like nauseous, vomiting, unstable feeling , nervous, heart bit fast and faster, both arms and legs so weak  , body get wet, have to pullover.  Called family pickup my car and drive me home, in same day at night I got the same problem again. Only happen if I am driving, no problem seat in the car with someone driving, and I felt normal to do all activity, I read all in this room but  no one have the same vertigo symptom  I went to see family doctor on 10/14 checked and exam  everything ok, doctor  said with this symptom  I have a vertigo problem gave me meclizine 25 mg, this drug used prevent seasick and refer to specialist doctor but take a week for appointment . And aloso I went to see OD doctor to exam my eye, all normal, don’t need  new glasses.  I am so worry about my job,  and I work in field services I drive a lot daily , this morning 10/15/13 I tried go to work but I got same problem on freeway, I have to pull over and call for help. If this happen exist so long I will lost my job,  Please someone help me, email me ***@****.
Thank you
Jesus saves:find him find relief
Hi All,

Firstly relax yourself, you have a solution. There are many factors to cause this issue which are pretty simple to get rid off.
1. Take away stress out of your mind while driving.
2. Deep breath in breath out often
3. Reduce if not avoid coffee(caffeine), alcoholic, drugs drnks
4. Practice meditation/Yoga etc 5-10 min and refresh your mind
5. Drink water sip by sip while drinking

IMPORTANT: If you feel dizzy, vertica on highway slow down, take exit stop your vehicle safely and for 20 min, blink your eyes, drink some water, take a nap in car for 15 min, feel fresh, if needed relax some more minutes. Life is more precious than anything. Once comfortable then only drive. Hope this helps.
Happy driving.
To All: You might think I am crazy but I can tell you this will work.
Ask Jesus to heal you, you have nothing to lose. Ask him in faith believing that he can do it. Try it watch what happens.
Also believe the died for us on the cross for and thru what he did he brings forgiveness.
God bless you all and let us know what happen.
My experience for the past two years is almost exactly the same as yours. It almost always occurs during the daylight hours on wide stretches of highway. In addition to sharing your symptoms I also have the feeling the car will not turn to the right in corners, especially when there is oncoming traffic. I usually experience a heavy tired feeling at the same time. My symptoms rarely occur at night or on more narrow roads. There must be an explanation if there are many of us experiencing the same symptoms.
My first issue with my vision seemed to get better, but now I am having issues with movement. It seems when I am in a car and I see another moving car they appear to be wiggling in my field of vision and also seem to be going really fast. Does anyone else have this?

I started having the Vertigo and dizzy feeling last Christmas.  I do not know what triggers it and I have been taking over the counter motion sickness pills that did work but are not working anymore.  

I feel dizzy all day and just recently driving in my car I feel like the traffic next to me is going to hit me.  And it is worse when I am the passenger in the car.  I try to look at my phone to keep my eyes off the road but I am terrified.  I cannot afford to go to the doctors and do not have medical insurance.  Anyone have any similiar symptoms or suggestions?

Patty
i have the same problems mainly now at night when driving did you ever find out what its down to
Interesting.  I too got dizzy driving home from vacation ( fine driving there).  Like you, I sat in a whirlpool with a bunch of other vacationers that ignored the yellow tape surrounding it.  I have always wondered if that may be it.  I still get dizzy driving some 4 years later,  and wondered if it is some kind of virus I got from someone else in that whirlpool.
I'm a 34 year old female & I have also been diagnosed with FMD. I too have dizzy spells when driving. I often feel as if my hands aren't my own & I lose all motor function of my arms & legs. I have had an EEG & several scans of my head & neck. I suffered from bilateral vertebral dissections before any of this started happening. So far the doctors have not been able to figure out what is wrong.
Yes! I definitely know what your going through. I'll be driving like any regular day then boom! All of a sudden here comes the dizziness and double vision which is then followed by a numb headache. When this happens my eyes starts to cross, I see two roads,two cars,two trees when only there is just one of each. I have to put on my hazard lights  and pull over quickly and wait for the vertigo to pass. The scary part is that I have passengers in the car with me and when this panic take place they have no idea of what's going on. When I get dizzy, it feels like I'm falling to the right so when I'm driving my car is going right because that's the way I'm falling. I quickly put the car in park and turn on my hazard lights no matter where I am. Cars may blow their horn but hey it's better being safe then sorry. When this happens I found out that letting my driver seat all the way back and turning off the car so there is no noise, it kind of eases the vertigo a little more quickly then just waiting for it to pass. Hope this was helpful
I feel so much better knowing there's other people out there going through this. My God i have been feeling this way for about 1 year now. I just had a baby 5 weeks ago, and of course everyone tells me it's all just pregnancy related. Now 5 weeks after giving birth it's still here. I feel like i'm not in control of my car, I feel like I panic, and I struggle leaning to my right side in the car. It's absolutely terrifying!!! I can drive on local streets not going faster than 40-45 miles per hour. The expressway is now my biggest fear ever. I'm just turned 35 yrs old, and have been driving since I was 16yrs old. Now i feel as if the enjoyment & freedom I always had driving has been taken away. I am so tense, and nervous driving... I tried to drive a 3 mile stretch on the expressway yesterday,,,,,,, hell on earth. I had to pull over 3 times in sheer panic. I wanted to quit, but I had to get home, so I pushed through with my body so tense, and my hands sweating... [not normal for me]. This issue makes me want to break down and just cry,,,, feeling crazy & disabled....
*** Thank you all for sharing your stories.
It really helped me to hear them. I have a Dr's appt in 2days, and I will be seeking help.
omg,,,,, I have the same problem, and thought it was just me.... have you been to the Dr? i'm going in 2days, and begging for help. i'm 35yrs old, and don't understand why this is happening. It started for me almost 1yr ago.
java,
Check out vestibular syndrome. What you are describing is what I was diagnosed with and it will give you more info. The connection between Brain, hearing, taste, sight and balance is in play. Also I believe that with tbi we are only able to process a limited amount of pain and then the brain shuts down. We don't even know we are in pain thus the problems of the light or too much stimuli to the brain causing your body to react in those ways as a warning of shutdown..
I have found relief (so far) from these exact same symptoms. I realize this might not work for everybody, but even if it works for one person, it's worth it. I will tell you my symptoms first, although they are similar to those above. This started when I took a 13 hour drive home for the holidays. The last couple hours I was fairly confident I was driving a plane and not a car. I chalked it up to motion sickness from being in the car that often and forgot about it until it happened on my way home. I ignored it again because I wasn't planning on making that long of a trip any time soon. However, I did make a 45 minute trip to visit friends shortly thereafter. I started getting the motion sickness at the stop light on a major highway. I made it to my friend's house okay, but on my way back, I got so dizzy I was sure I would crash. I started panicking, but since I used to have panic attack frequently in my early 20's, I knew how to handle them. I want to reiterate that I felt the panic after the dizziness set in. I went to a doctor immediately and he decided I had a sinus infection. I went to that doctor 3 more times for more medication. I couldn't even stand up for longer than a couple minutes at a time. I took nearly 4 weeks off of my job. I bought a humidifier and started using a neil med spray to get rid of the sinus infection faster. I did not have any pain in my sinuses at all and was about to go back to the doctor from the pain, but after the third medication, a ridiculous amount of mucus came out of me. I was finally feeling well enough to go to work. I found, however, that while I started out doing full days, I had to go to half days eventually. I went to an ENT doctor and got the scope and CT scan done. They said there was nothing unusual. I just had a little fluid in the sinuses below my cheeks indicating that I did have a sinus infection. I started taking sudafed daily on the advice from one of my coworkers and was feeling better, although not great. My mother told me to see an allergist. I fought it because I had never had any problems with allergies before and I didn't get any of the stereotypical symptoms like itchiness or rashes or sneezing or tickling back throat. Finally I decided that I needed to do SOMETHING so I went in. It turns out that I am highly allergic to almost everything except foods. I was prescribed Q-nasl and told to do allergy shots. Within two days of using Q-Nasl, I was feeling so much better. And the best part is that I could drive.

Now I take a sudafed 12hr every day. I do the neilmed saline wash 4 times a day, and take the Q-Nasl every morning. I have been feeling almost normal. Apparently sudafed can cause high blood pressure, so I don't recommend anyone with those issues to take it daily like I do. Neilmed anyone can use. The Q-Nasl burns when going in, but it works so much better than nasonex does for me. I also take Claritin when my throat feels like it's going to close due to a high pollen count day.

I still need the sudafed which makes my allergist think that there might be something the the ENT missed. I am bringing him my CT scan so he can take a look at it and possibly get a third opinion by another ENT doctor.

I still have trouble on some days driving a long distance. I chew gum and that helps with the pressure in my ears. Otherwise, I'm almost back to normal. I hope this helps someone on this thread.
Thank you! You have describe my issues 98% correctly.  Mine started about three months ago. I am now searching for help. Scary!
Any luck??  I have been having the same issues for almost 2 years now.  I have had every test known to man done and everything comes back good.  I have been thinking it has something to do with antidepressants, as this all started shortly after being prescribed one, but dr has changed to 2 others and I am still having the problem.  I never even considered the clindamycin gel but now that I think about it I was prescribed it the same visit as the antidepressant when all the symptoms started and still use it.
I have had the problems described in this thread for years now. It doesn't happen all the time but enough to worry about it.

This is a real problem that deserves some attention for medical research as it is dangerous because it is really happening to people you are sharing the roads with.
I used to be a ROAD WARRIER, however more than 12 years ago I had a panic attack while driving on a long distance trip.  It landed me 3 days in a hotel unable to gep behind the wheel.  My aged mother had to come to my rescue, thank god.  Anyway, my issues tend to come and go and I have linked them to my menstral cycle, I think it has to do with estrogen and testosterone levels, however, my blood work cannot confirm.  My driving is such a problem for me, as my main office is far away.  Anyway, I cannot drive over bridges, wide open highways etc.  I feel as if I am falling and become very nervous.  I bought some spray from Dr. Oz show, but accidently sprayed it in my eye during an episode, which forced me to pull over.  I do better on back roads but do not like when there is no shoulder It has put a damper on my life and wish it would go the heck away for ever.  I want a cure!!!!  How about driving school?  Any suggestions?
Hi everyone,

I've been suffering from this sort of disorientation for about a year. I thought it was only during highway driving but I noticed the dizziness occurs when I'm stopped in traffic too. Forget trying to pass a tractor trailer. That leaves me sweating and unable to think. It's an absolutely terrifying sensation. I shake for several minutes afterward and assumed it was anxiety. I've tried to regulate my breathing with not much improvement. I've noticed some trends within the comments here and wonder if hypothyroidism is the common offender. I do have a couple of beers each night and have coffee every morning. I can stop doing both. My doctor told me it was anxiety and put me on Prozac. I d/c in a month because it wasn't improving enough for me to counter the poor side effects. When I'm at work, alone in a room with a patient, I'm sitting on a swivel stool. If there's any sort of movement in the stool, I get extremely dizzy, extremely fast. I feel as if I'm falling. If I stand, I'm okay. If I'm watching a movie with a lot of action and stimulation, I get the same sensation but it's less severe because I'm cozy in my bed. My worst fear is passing out at work in front of patients. I'm going to follow this group to see what else is suggested.

I'm thinking of all of you.
I think I know what you're talking about when you mentioned "road hypnosis", with regards to your dizziness.  My sister-in-law had mentioned something similar to what you described.  I believe she's looking into neurological services to try and help with her current condition.  It's amazing at how much more we're learning about the brain.  http://www.neurologist-losangeles.com/Neurology_Center_Los_Angeles_CA.htm
I am so glad that I am not alone.  It started happening to me at the end of Summer 2014.  I was driving along a familiar highway, and all of a sudden I felt like I was on a roller coaster; very dizzy, almost losing control of the car.  weeks before that incident, I had just driven 12 hours for a family trip, and did just fine.  I loved driving and could drive anywhere, now I have a hard time just driving to my job which is only 10 minutes from my home.  I went to the eye doctor, and found that I needed glasses for driving in order to see clearer, so I thought that wearing them would help, but it hasn't.  I do have plans to see a Neurologist, with the hope that it will help, but will it?
Has anyone figured this out yet? I feel like everything is coming at me so fast and it's mainly my peripheral vision causing me issues with this. At night when I try to sleep I feel like I am floating sometimes.

Candi.Malburg (at) gmail (dot) com
I have had this problem for more than 13 years and I just recently discovered what causes it and how to fix it. For most of you who have posted about the dizziness while driving, if you have ruled out inner ear problems, then you simply need to massage the muscles in your neck to remove the knots. The knots in these muscles send mixed up signals to the brain about the position of your head. This sounds like wacko kook stuff, but it is that simple and it is amazing. I highly recommend that you get the book "Trigger point therapy handbook" (blue cover by Davies). It is cheap and it has excellent illustrations about which muscle knots (trigger points) cause pain or tension in different areas, and in this case, also dizziness and vision problems. The book also explains how to avoid accidentally massaging arteries (never massage a pulse).

The muscles you need to massage are called sternocleidomastoid, or SCM. They are on the sides of your neck and run diagonally from the base of your skull behind your ears, down to the front of your collar bone. There are two on each side, sternal and clavicular. The sternal one is the one that is more forward and to the outside, nearest the skin. The clavicular is deeper inside and harder to massage. It takes a couple of weeks of practice to be able to easily get ahold of all the areas that can have trigger points (tenderness), especially down low where they connect to the collar bone. They feel kind of thin and stringy where they attach to the collar bone but if there is any pain in them when you poke around down there, you have to massage those areas some more so it goes away. Don't do too much too soon. It's easy to say, but hard to do, because you want the problem to be fixed immediately. This post doesn't tell how to grab them or do the massage, it's just the notification of the solution. For details, either get the book or look up Youtube videos for SCM or sternocleidomastoid massage. You can do all the massages in the book yourself, you just have to be careful about the arteries in the neck.

There is massive improvement immediately but it has taken almost 3 weeks to have completely normal undizzy driving. It takes a while to get almost all the trigger points to not feel any pain when giving the muscles a squeeze all along the entire length.

You probably also have some sort of neck, tension headache, shoulder or upper back pains or tightness that can be solved with the trigger point massage.  

After getting started on the trigger point massage on the SCM, the hard part begins... Trying to improve posture, stop leaning or thrusting the head forward, clenching the jaw, continually looking to the side, etc. I also started sleeping on my back to take the strain off the neck, but it was very difficult to find the right combination of pillow or cushions to not have low or mid back pains and it makes snoring worse.

Over the past 13 years I have been to a general practitioner, three chiropractors, a neurologist, ear/nose/throat specialist, the Yale Balance Center, two sleep specialists (I have narcolepsy), and had neck X-rays and MRIs. None of them identified or helped the problem. No more paying specialists to solve a problem when they can't even figure out what the cause is. The information is out there. All the trigger point (also called myofascial) reference guides state that clavicular SCM trigger points can be associated with dizziness. You would think that the Yale Balance Center, which specializes in dizziness, would know this. They did not know what the cause was and diagnosed central nervous system disorder and wanted to prescribe drugs used for migraine.
Interesting! I will definitely be looking into this.
About a year ago, I was driving down the highway and all of the sudden, I had flashes in front of my eyes, i got really dizzy and felt like i was going to pass out. I had to pull over. I was shaking after that of course, because I went into panic mode. I had my 9 yr old son with me and I thought i was going to crash. Every since then I would have small episodes when driving, it is mostly when I am stopped at a red light. Then for about 4 months, i didnt have any symptoms, it felt GREAT! Then one day all of the sudden I pull up to a stoplight and it happens again. first it feels like my eyes are sensitve to the light, and then i feel like i am going to pass out, then comes the panic. I am on exffexor XR for panic attacks anyways, ( I have been on the meds for 10 years or more, they really help me)  so now I pretty much have to talk myself thru a panic attack every day while driving. I cant drive far at all. If i come to a stoplight I like to be in the very right lane in case I need to escape and pull over because of an epsiode. After it passes, I am shaky, nauseous and I just want to cry. I hate feeling this way, I use to LOVE driving everywhere, now I can't even hardly make it to work......I wish I knew what was wrong. Its tearing me apart. I feel helpless...good luck to all of you.
Oh!  Cinnamon!  Oh, I think that could be a factor...
I *did* start pouring on the cinnamon back a couple/few years ago for the health benefit(s).
In fact, just this morning, I had Two frozen Trader Joe's waffles with the stuff--and I am feeling a little dizzy now.  Granted, I have other factors involved:
--been playing more video games last couple days
--not used inhaler for two days (I take breaks from chemical inhalation)
--not exercising much last 36 hours

What I am also thinking:
++cutting out gluten really helps; no dizziness/foggy headedness
++sleep well
++keep blood flow regular: exercise; not being lazy; get Up!
++calm myself before driving, and start out Slow; go my own pace

And now I am about to ditch the cinnamon.  Thanks for the input!
Please read my comment. You have a hope. I almost gave up. But I think I found the cure! It is a true story.

I am 40 years old now.I used to love driving. My weird dizziness started on November 2013 when I was in a passenger seat while my friend was driving. It was very sudden but very obviously the dizziness were there.  
I used to drive fearlessly for 23 years but all of a sudden I became disabled. Even when I drive 30-40 miles per hour, it was struggling for me and made me so dizzy and I had abnormal visual feeling like a tunnel vision. Driving became a nightmare since then. I stopped driving highway for over one year and six month.

I went to ENT(Ear, Nose and Throat), eye doctor, brain MRI, blood work, acupuncture, Korean traditional medicine, chiropractor and neurologist.
Everything was normal. No doctors couldn't figure out.
On Thursday(June 4th, 2015), I went to a different ENT doctor in a big hospital in the downtown hoping for an answer my ear is the problem but got out with disappointment. Nothing was wrong the doctor said. I am a single mother. It was so devastating to experience this crazy symptom not knowing the cause or clue. On the same day, I researched internet out of desperation and found interesting comment above. That was new. I went to a book store and bought the book "Trigger point therapy workbook" by Clair Davies. I watched several youtube video of STERNOCLEIDOMASTOID (SCM) trigger point massage.

I had nothing to lose and was going to try anything to be better. I tried the SCM massage(Please search google where to find SCM in you neck) right away several times a day very diligently for four days. Since the next day, I felt more than 50% better and today I accidentally went into high way and drove for 4 miles without stopping. I couldn't even imagine to drive on highway before because even for local road with 40 miles per hour was struggling for me for long time. Today I can excitedly say my dizziness for one year and six months were gone more than 90%. I felt normal for the first time.

I was so excited and so was my son. I really hope many of you can be cured like me. It was so simple and so easy to fix it. Current medical system was far beyond to find a cure or cause easily which is sad. However, thanks to some brilliant doctors like Travell & Simons and therapist like Davies, the author and her father, and someone like a normal person who took time to write a comment for other people, I think a lot of people will be relieved from this confusing dizziness.
I am so happy. I feel like I am reborn again. Try this massage today and if you got cured, please write a comment and spread the words for others!!!
Ok I have seen this twice now and I will definitely be checking this out. Thanks!
Hello all,

As most of us have stated, I thought I was the only one and thought I was going crazy!! I also have always been the driver. The first incident I had was driving from SC to NJ. After driving for about 7 hours or so, all of these symptoms started hitting me out of nowhere. I felt like I was in a video game or hypnotized. I right away began to have a mini panic attack and all I saw was if the car was not moving and I was all the white lines from the highway coming at me very fast (again, this made me think that I was going to lose control of the car). I ended up pulling over right away and my wife took over from there.
A few weeks later, we had to drive down go SC again and of course this was still in the back of my mind... Will this feeling come back again?!!!!...
Well indeed it happened again! It is extremely frustrating because I do not know what to do.
What also makes is worse is that I already suffer from anxiety. for a few years I've been trying not to take prescribed medication, I tend to treat it with balanced exercise and natural vitamins (L-Thenine) which helps tremendously.

Anyways, It has been probably about 2 months and I truly do not know what to do.

pleaseeeeeee Help... please e mail me at ArangoKB24 (at) gmail (dot) com

PS - We have to drive back to NJ next week on 7/15/15 and its already killing me. We would fly or even take a bus but our financial status is not the best right now.

Update on previous April 2015 post above concerning SCM trigger point massage. At first I got a lot better just by massaging the trigger points in the SCM muscles. A couple of months later it got harder to make go away. Now it is also triggered by upper back muscles, trapezius. A dull ache will go up the back of my neck to the base of my skull and feel very tight. It is caused by trigger points in the trapezius muscles. Above the top of the shoulder blades and along the inner edge of the shoulder blades down to the bottoms of the blades. And along the spine in between the shoulder blades. The low spot down near the bottom of the shoulder blades can cause a hot flash across the middle of the back. These trigger points are connected to the ones in the SCM muscles and they can set each other off. They are very stubborn to release using the "ball on the wall" massage. I have a lot of years of poor posture to correct.

I find I need to not slouch, try to keep my head back over my shoulders (back and looking straight ahead or slightly down, not looking up and not chin jutting forward). Look up "upper cross" syndrome or "head forward posture". And try to relax the shoulders while driving and not hunch them up. One other thing that seems to help a lot is to tilt the pelvis slightly toward the back (belt buckle lifted up a little).

Even if none of this works for you, for many years I was able to keep driving on the highway by keeping my head held back against the seat headrest. Then there was no dizziness until I wanted to look around for lane changes, etc.
I have a similar problem, but apparently not as bad as most I have read on this thread.  I experience dizziness while driving, although it doesn't happen every time, doesn't matter if I'm on a highway or side road, and doesn't matter if it's day or night.  I'm pretty sure mine is due to fluid in my inner ear as I have allergies and sinus problems.  I have no idea why it only hits me when driving.  I can be a passenger in a car all day long with no problem.  The only time my dizziness has occurred when I wasn't behind the wheel was after coming home from a cruise vacation (I continued to experience the rocking motion for a month) and during a recent vacation where I was at high altitudes.  I was wondering if anyone has tried Dramamine and if so, was it effective at preventing the dizziness?
I have had all these same symptoms and tried a variety of things to resolve them.   Just curious has anyone also experienced this same issue in the grocery store?
Please try SCM massage for your neck.
Search YouTube.
I got cured.
Try SCM massage. Search YouTube.
Hi I am new here, but have been dealing with this for almost 2 years. I also have occasional situational panic attacks outside of the ones I get from driving vertigo. Has anyone else had luck with the SCM massage? I have also looked into EMDR therapy. Would love to know if anyone here has made any progress. So glad to find you all!
Does anyone know the cause of this? I am also experiencing this, a sensation the car is tilted to the left when I am driving on highways/freeways. I have to roll the window down and have complete silence. It's terrible and very scary.
Did you ever figure out what was the problem?
I am experiencing the same symptoms, and my MD said it is anxiety.
If it's possible, please share.
Thanks!!!!
Kalvin
I have/had similar issues...
Do a lot of you spend time on your computers, iPhone/Android, Tablet? Scrolling through countless websites or pages of FB, Twitter.. Swiping Tinder, POF?
I strongly believe this may be causing a problem for A LOT of you.
It's not good for your eyes to be constantly doing that. It's like standing near a busy roadway watching every car that drives by for hours on end. The Blue light from these devices is also terrible for your eyes as well. You can download F.lux for your home system which helps to block the blue light. Avoid TV shows or movies that change camera angles rapidly.
Disconnect as much as you can for a week and get some good sleep and see how you feel I know for me it made a world of difference.
I have been experiencing this also for two months.  It has been a nightmare! The floating feeling, tunnel vision, like I have no control of the car, only being able to drive 30mph, highway and interstate not even remotely possible, like I could black out at any time.    after finding this site  I went to my chiropractor - he adjusted my neck and also did the SCM massage yesterday- I can't believe the difference in just two treatments.  I actually drove home- 35 minute drive - on the highway going 70mph and never had to pull over nor did I get the panic feeling-    It is a miracle for me. Im not all the way better but huge difference.   I am so thankful!!
I have been in anguish the past 6 months with the same driving symptoms. The simulated highway driving sensations of moving backwards (especially at night), the bouncy, floaty feeling in the head, tired eyes, the fear is the worst. Like JavaJulie. I'm trying everything. I'm 49, very fit and have a very healthy lifestyle. I'm so grateful to find you all. I know how debilitating this is. I will post what helps if I find something. Have already seen the ENT, PCP, Naturopath, Acupuncturist (which helps some) still undiagnosed, will see the Neurologist this week. If any of you have a diagnosis please share!!! Thanks:)
I have been still seeing my chiropractor for neck adjustment and the SCM massage along with acupuncture.  I am still not all the way better but I have been even as low as a 1.5 on a scale from 1 to 10 with 10 being the worst.  Since I started these treatments I have not been worse then a 5 but pretty much hanging around a 2.  I just attempted the interstate on saturday and after about hour and a half I had to let me daughter drive.  Driving for that long is actually a major accomplishment since I couldn't do it at all three months ago.  I am 52 and also very healthy and fit.  I have been through a very ugly stressful lawsuit for the last 5 years and wonder if any of you have had major stress also??  thanks!!!  there is a common thread somewhere!
Hi everyone,

I have had exactly the same problems (dizziness while driving on a highway) for 2 years now, and I am really tired of it! I searched a little and tried to resume the most common inputs shared on this forum.

It looks like there is a name for our condition, and it's called "Motorists Vestibular Disorientation Syndrome."

Many of us found a relief with SCM (sternocleidomastoid) Massage.

Another effective exercise is the following "I looked at a letter, about 2 inches high, placed at eye level on the wall 4 feet in front of me.
  Then, I moved my head back and forth about once per second for 15 seconds, then up and down for
15 seconds at the same cadence, and finally back and forth for 15 more seconds all the time while
focusing on the letter on the wall trying to keep the letter stationary"

So far this is all I know, and I will go (again) to see a neurologist with this information to have an opinion and options for therapy.

I used to love driving and travelling, I am 33, healthy and love sports and travelling, and I really want to fix this problem in my life, like all of us!

Alex

"The muscles you need to massage are called sternocleidomastoid, or SCM.
They are on the sides of your neck and run diagonally from the base of
your skull behind your ears, down to the front of your collar bone.
There are two on each side, sternal and clavicular.
The sternal one is the one that is more forward and to the outside, nearest the skin.
The clavicular is deeper inside and harder to massage.
It takes a couple of weeks of practice to be able to easily get ahold of all the
areas that can have trigger points (tenderness), especially down low where they
connect to the collar bone. They feel kind of thin and stringy where they attach
to the collar bone but if there is any pain in them when you poke around down
there, you have to massage those areas some more so it goes away.
Don't do too much too soon. It's easy to say, but hard to do, because you want
the problem to be fixed immediately. This post doesn't tell how to grab them or
do the massage, it's just the notification of the solution. For details, either
get the book or look up Youtube videos for SCM or sternocleidomastoid massage.
You can do all the massages in the book yourself, you just have to be careful
about the arteries in the neck. "
thank you Alex for this!  How long are you massaging for and how often?  I have tried it on my own and it doesn't seem to help- I was unable to see my chiropractor last week and now this morning i was back to almost a 10 driving  - it was terrible so I am going in for an adjustment and acupuncture this afternoon.