Neurology Community
Dizzy and Blur Vision while driving

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Viewing 201-302 comments:
I have been dealing with this off and on for the past few years and am so relieved to know that there are others out there who know what I am referring to.  At first, I chalked these incidents up to panic attacks, even though I don't actually have a history of them.  In picking the problem apart, I've realized that the panic is the aftereffect, not the problem itself - when it happens it's just so unsettling and scary that I panic over the possibility of losing control of a 2 ton piece of metal.  I had a reprieve for most of this year in which I was able to drive on the freeway again (though with the everpresent worry that an episode might hit) but it came back as strong as ever last month.

Here are the things I have considered as potentially relevant:

I have sleep apnea (treated with CPAP)
I have hypothyroidism
I have general issues with vertigo (not afraid of heights, but highly susceptible to vertigo issues on escalators, open staircases, etc.)
It is definitely worse at night, most likely because I am much more tired at night
Never an issue when I am the passenger
I spend at least 8, closer to 10-11, hours a day in front of a computer
It seems to be worse at this time of year (autumn), as between January and August, I was able to resume driving on the freeways, but then in September, it reared its ugly head again and now it even happens on slower side streets.
I suspect it has something to do either with a pattern of lights (such as sunlight or headlights flickering through a guardrail) or vibrations from the road, or a combination of both.
If I flip down my rearview mirror at night and adjust my side mirrors so that they don't reflect headlights, the issue is reduced, but not eliminated.

What it feels like specifically: Like I am falling/tilting to the left.  It feels like my left leg is "fading" away, not like pins and needles, but just a gradual fading of feeling.  It feels to me something like I am falling asleep, and get a jolt at the last second.  If you have ever fallen asleep and had a dream that you were falling and "snapped" awake at the last second, it feels like a milder-yet-scarier version of that.  

The worst part is definitely the fear that accompanies each episode.  I have to force myself to breathe through it.  When an episode strikes, it helps if I turn down the radio, roll down the windows, and remind myself that nothing has ever happened before, and that if I can keep my fear in control, I will be okay.

I would love for someone to be able to figure out why this happens to us and how we can stop it.  In the meantime, just knowing someone else out there gets it makes it a little less overwhelming.
Oh, I also wanted to mention that it seems to me that it happens at the moment that most people would normally drift into a sort of road hypnosis - you know how you start driving a familiar route and zone out and suddenly you're home?  It feels to me like that transition into "autopilot" triggers these events in me.
Posting one more time to update.  I have started consistently driving at night with my rearview mirror flipped down from the start, and avoiding looking into my side mirrors where possible.  This has made a huge difference overall.  

I think, for me at least, that the problem lies in the conflicting visual input between what I see ahead of me (and what my brain perceives as accurate) and what I am seeing in my peripheral vision from my rearview mirrow.  So basically for me it's a form of motion sickness where I feel motion and I see motion, but the two don't correspond correctly, so I get dizzy.

I think the reason the effect is more pronounced when I am going around a curve is because there is even greater conflict, since the side mirrors are reflecting a lot more movement.  

And finally, I think the reason it is more of an issue at night (especially at around sunset) is because I tend to drive east/west, so there is a greater disparity between the amount of light I see ahead of me and the light reflected in my mirrors, which just emphasizes the conflict.

Understanding more about what is causing this has helped me manage it a lot.  For now I am still sticking to surface streets, but I feel a lot more confident about being able to drive surface streets without too much issue.  Hopefully it will help someone else.
My dizziness started coming back after several months and I was worried that my solution wasn't working anymore. I went to the dr only to find out that I am pregnant. So my chiropractor visits and massages ARE working....just not for pregnancy.  =)
Hi all - I believe that I may have a name for our problem - Cervical Vertigo. Read the following page and see if it fits your symptoms:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/202016-causes-of-cervical-vertigo/

It's not going to be an easy one to treat but will help us all in getting treatment (hopefully!).

Again, good luck to you all with dealing with this bizarre and very frustrating problem.
If you look up to my previous posts, I have already stated this is what I have. It's not hard to manage, if you have a good chiropractor and get a massage once in awhile. I listed everything I do for it... just look for my earlier post above.
Thanks CupCke31 - must have missed that one, or was simply in denial that it may be a proper medical condition!

I have managed to control this by relaxing a lot more, as per my previous posts, but am aware that my neck is very stiff most of the time so have a definite issue there - all of which is part of Cervical Vertigo (unfortunately).

Anyway, I'll be getting that massage soon so will hopefully be back on form in no time. Good luck with the pregnancy :)

I have same symptom for the pass 10 months and it's scary while driving and the floating feeling and not having control behind the wheel is the worst. Is there anybody know how to treat this? Please help!! Thank you!!
you all are having anxiety/panic attacks I know because I have experienced all of these feelings of doom/dread myself while driving. They then started to spread into other situations in my life while I wasnt driving. Ignoring these feelings of panic/doom/dread does not work and only will make it worse. Acknowledge there is a problem and seek help weather its talking to a good friend/family member or in my case my family doctor. Two months of being on the anti anxiety drug lexapro has me driving over bridges through construction
during rainstorms with no problems now. It was a lifesaver for me and I cant believe how much better I feel weather driving or just living an every day normal life without fearing when that awful feeling might appear.
hey guys havent been on here for a while but i now feel amazing !! chiropractor is the best bit of advice i could give anyone i no longer get dizzy shopping or driving and generally feel on top of the world! still visiting the chiropractor once a month however she wants me to go every 2 months after next week , i seriously feel back to normal !! however have been going a while to the chiropactor, but im thinking that it took a long time for me to get in this state so it will take a while to get better .  i have the hospital again next month so will get re assessed on the condition i had, but i believe that im 100 percent better will let you know what the docs say  thanks for the advice cupcake it really has gave me my life back !!
I have suffered from the same symptoms for years. the very first attack was the worst. i couldnt focus on anything and it felt as though all the lights on thee roads were forming different routes and i didnt trust myself to drive. Since then i really struggle at night. i feel that my eyes cant stay focused on one thing and they are constantly moving to look from the car in front to my mirror (albeit briefly as i worry that i will lose control if i look away. It also feels as if i am at that stage when you are so tired and trying to keep yourself awake! I also get the tired feeling when driving during the day. it is not related to tiredness as i can get it on short journeys when i have had plenty of sleep. I become terrified while i am driving that i am going to  either fall asleep or lose control of the car.
I went to the opticians and they told me my eyesight was fine and offered no more suggestions. i live in the uk and from my experience of the nhs doctors they are not interested in helping or finding a solution so i am not sure what step to take next. driving is a massive part of my life and im worried i will get too scared to drive.
are u still taking this medicine and is it helping?  i have had those same symptoms and i found out i have a leaky arotic valve in my heart..cardiologist claims my symptoms are not from my heart;'...it is very frustrating!  i might look into this med further.  i feel like i am crazy sometimes cause no one can figure out why i am still having balance isssues, went to ent and so one...feel like i cant drive long distance anymore and i am 33 years old!   too young to feel this way on a daily basis!
I have the same symptoms after a head injury for years.  Lately I have been finding prism lenses helps.  You may want to check out this Neuro-Optometrist in Birmingham, USA who has specialized lenses which helps many if it comes from vision.  No other optometrists has a clue and is a relatively new technique and specialty.

http://www.visionspecialistsofbirmingham.com/
Has anyone found any solution for this problem ?!?! I too have the same issue with dizziness and driving and have a 2 yr old son in my car.... Very scared!... Had an MRI of the brain and they found no abnormality ... Anyone w any suggestions ?
I just read UR posts n I'm in tears cause u described my experience almost to a T. I'm so scared cause I have a 2 yr old n my parents live pretty far away n I love to visit. If u find anything new out please post UR results and help us also. I am in fear for my safety cause I have to drive.  Thank u :)
YAY! I'm glad I could help.
Finally an answer! I've had this problem ever since I worked overnights, I thought it had something to do with my stress from changing my sleep schedule because its been harder to drive at night more and more. I get really sleepy, blurry vision, distorted depth perception and I feel like I'm in a video game or dream. I also have a problem with light sensitivity, and I sometimes have trouble looking someone in the eyes, it became a big problem for me. I thought it was social anxiety but then I couldnt make it disappear with my confidence and self-esteem. I cannot afford a chiropractor though.
Ive had this problem since 2008! I dont trust myself to drive at night anymore. It makes me really tired for some odd reason, I somtimes feel like I'm going to lose consciousness and that I might be dreaming which isnt safe. Maybe I'll try the Indian Chiropractor since I cant afford anything else.
Really? Breathing techniques. ive had these problems since 2008 and a few months ago I was practicing daily deep breathing. If I can recall it seemed to help. I get dizzy spells all the time since I am also hypoglyemic I thought it was just my blood pressure because I'll have an attack if I dont eat every 4-5 hours every once in a while. But when I was 14 in 2004, I feel on my roller blades flat on my back, it hurt and then a year later I had back pain and my chiropractor found a pinched nerve, which ive dealt with since. Its gotten better somehow but I still get tension headaches that start at the base of my neck. Now that I dont feel the pain from my pinched nerve I have more trouble driving at night. What is your diagnosis?
I have the exact same things going on for the past few weeks. I was seeing a chiripractor even before this started, dont spend much time on computer, get plenty of sleep, never had any kind of trauma. Mine also only happens while drivimg on the highway at night time. I do think I get anxiety about it which makes it worse, I just called my chiropractor and asked him about it and he is stumped. I am not on any new meds and only have one small cup of coffee before driving to work. It is pure hell cuz I drive 45 mins to work in the dark on the hwy everyday. I dont know what to do, I feel as if I will eventually kill myself or someone else on the road when I finally do pass out.
The reason why breathing is helping is because it's circulating more blood to the brain and oxygen. Do you have insurance because it will help pay for a chiropractor, worth looking into though.
Talk to your chiro and mention Cervical Vertigo. If he/she still doesn't know, you need to find yourself a new chiropractor.
I was so relieved to find that I'm not just crazy.  I've read many of the symptoms you all experience.  My very first attack was when I was driving back from a weekend trip on the highway, doing about 60mph.  I was in the right hand lane, and suddenly, I felt myself falling, my vision narrowing, a sense of dizziness, and a feeling of nearly passing out.  I pulled over to the nearest gas station and had my mom take over for part of the ride, and when it came time to get on the turnpike, I took over again.  It was daytime, and there was light filtering through the trees.  I had the sensations again for a while even on back roads, and they subsided during the summer months to a point.  I was able to make an hour long trip by myself, but needed to be talking on the cell phone in order to remain calm and feel like I had control of the vehicle.  It recently started getting worse, especially when driving at night.  I feel I have to move my eyes around constantly and not focus on one thing in order to remain balanced, but then I panic that I'll get into an accident for not looking right ahead of me.  I've also noticed that I get dizzy in the car when in the passenger seat, but I don't get nervous, because I know I don't have to drive the vehicle.

For a long time, I was scared I was going to have epilepsy or something like that, in which I'd lose control of the car and get into a crash and die.  I figured it must have been some sort of anxiety, so I pushed it aside, and actually visited a therapist.  Learning stress-reducing techniques helped, but I still have attacks and avoid highways and long trips whenever possible.  I ran into this forum the other night and found so much relief from knowing I wasn't crazy.  My mom's a nurse, and she also confirmed that it's probably neurological.  The other thing I noticed was that I had been in an accident October 2010, before I had my first attack (Jan 2011).  I don't remember specifically making long trips from October to January, so I thought maybe it had something to do with the accident (I was rearended by a woman who fell asleep at the wheel going almost 40 mph).

I also notice that when I focus anywhere for a long time, I tend to get dizzy.  Seriously thinking it's inner or middle ear, or it's something to do with my spine.  I hate this feeling, because it's like I can't enjoy driving like I used to.
My dizziness went away after I ditched diet sodas. Who knew?

javajulie, Your case is 100% my case, so if you get help please pass on the solution to: ***@****. Thank you for sharing your story with the world of hypo thyriod patients who are taking a beaten daily. In return, If I get help I will waste no time pass on the information.

God Bless You
Have you found out what is wrong? I am experiencing the same thing and I can get NO answers. ***@****
OMG....this is my life. Please let me know if you figure this out. ***@****
I am so glad there are more people with this problem, family and friends would look at me like if I was crazy.  I have been experiencing this for some time know (probably 3 years) on and off.  I had one similar experience 10 years ago, but only that time. Then it started again Right after I had my first son 3 years ago  and since then I get them all the time, specially when I have been driving for a long time and I am in a highway or in a street with a lot of cars that go fast like in a highway.  It is very disturbing. In situations that I feel I can loose control........ I also get it in tunnels if I am driving and if I cant see the light at the end of the tunnel.  It only happens when I am driving.  I have always been so strong and do-everything-drive-everything type of a person, and know I have this situation.  I will follow everyones advice, will have an MRI, I will go to a Chiropractor and also will go to an ENT to see if I have an ear infection. Today I had it again and I really think that is a mild vertigo. Sny other suggestions?
I had this for many years, come to find out that I have papellidema and intracranial hypertension along with POTS (postural orthostatic tacycardia hypertension), and Chiari Malformation due to the increased pressure inside of my head for years without treatment and it causes your cerebellum to herniate out of the skull, also reffered to as a tonsillar herniation..  These things are nothing to play with, tunnel vision, visual disturbances, seeing flashes of light, little dots all over, light sensitivity, floaters, blurred vision, feeling your gonna pass out, whoosing in ears or ringing in ears, suddenly feeling unbalanced, dizzy, like you may fall to one side, or a feeling of falling when your awake from a bending of your neck, or just moving slightly.
Go be seen by an opthamologist.  If you do and your told your optic nerve or disc or both are by any means swollen, you need to see someone that specializes in IIH this would be a neurologist and a neuro-opthamolgist.,
These things are easy to diagnois in the proper hands.  Most uneducated neuro's will tell you everything vestibular is migraine, that is the catch all phrase.  An othalmologist will find the vision issue, they should send you to a neuro opthamologist, ,then they do an LP to find out your pressure within the spine and skull, then its off for an MRI.
Trust me, I was frustrated for years over this being told I had ,this or that, was really scared when I found out what it is, but then was relieved at the same time, began treatment, and I have alot more better days now than I used to becasue the symptoms you all have they became almost an everyday, and that was scary for me.
I have just had an experience the other day while driving. I was driving home on the freeway in the evening and my eyes kinda went crossed and I got this very bad feeling all over my body and it felt like i was going to pass out and my legs went numb and tingly. I had to pull off the road, something that i have never done before, i am 39. Anyway, i just had another episod sitting here on my computer. It happened again, i had to wave my hand in front of my face to keep myself from passing out! ugh horrible feeling, but at least i wasn't in the car(thank god). I think the eye thing may be logical. I have started a new job about 5 months ago and i have to work on a computer, my communte is about 45 mins as well. I think when my insurance kicks in I am going to get my eyes checked. I had Lasik surgery about 3 years ago. Hope this helps someone.
Guys, as I was headed to bed, I started reading these posts and PLEASE READ!!.  I think I MAY be able to answer some questions here.  While I'm sure some of you might not have Cervical Dizziness/Vertigo, I am 99% sure some of you do, and I do as well.  Cupcake is right.  To make a long story short, I've been suffering with this for about 9 months, had ALL test known to man EXCEPT an MRI of the spine (go figure)and they all were negative.  Anyway, doctors looked at me like I was nuts as well.  I finally went to a Chiropractor and he has been the only one who has helped me at all.  However, my problem has not cleared up ALL the way.  It is BETTER though.  So, I continue my search for answers and I asked my doctor to order physical therapy which I start this Wednesday.  I have high hopes for improving with therapy.  HERE'S THE THING THOUGH........I believe my problem originated from POOR SLEEPING POSTURE, as I awoke with 30 second vertigo on May 6th, 2011.  The other night, I slept mostly in the recliner chair instead of the bed and I seemed to feel somewhat better.  I did it again last night and feel better than usual today.  And here I am again, about to go to sleep in the recliner tonight as well. For the last three Mondays, I have felt pretty bad after work, but if I feel better tomorrow, I think I may be on to something.  So, perhaps your sleeping position is prolonging your body from healing itself, or maybe the mattress itself, etc.  I have had ALL of the symptoms many of you guys describe.  Vertigo, floating feelings, headaches in temple area, problems driving, feeling like I'm going to faint, etc.  Hope this post helps you!  I'll update you guys after I see what happens tomorrow.
Now, all this said, the recliner is not a sure bet when attempting to sleep with your neck in a better position.  I am more than likely going to buy a cervical pillow that cradles the head and prevents poor neck posture.  Just remember, the reason your dizziness MIGHT be going on and on and on like mine for 9 months now MAY have something to do with neck posture during sleep.  I mean, think about it.  You're going to bed each night, putting more pressure on your neck, therefore, you NEVER completely heal.  It seems to make sense.  Not saying I've figure this thing out, but I may be on to something.
The recliner "experiment" seemed to work somewhat.  Again, though, the problem with the recliner is that I can still sleep in a bad neck position, but maybe not QUITE as bad.  My first appointment with physical therapist is Wednesday.  We will see if it helps.  I am optimistic.
I'll just say, I've had dizziness for over 25 years now. I'm 41. And been to neurologists, ENT specialists, allergy specialists, and no help. I get different types of dizziness. The worst kind is where I am dizzy and any movement of my head position gets me dizzy. Then I get the other type of dizziness, where I am fine for the most part, but If I go walking outside or driving, there is just too much visual stimulus and I just don't feel well. I end up getting panicky. I feel like I can't concentrate and too much is happening visually. I am currently going through this right now, and it's been like this for almost 2 weeks. I'm just find walking around my house, but as soon as I go out driving or walking around I get dizzy. I have no clue why it's not going away. But I've had this before and its lasted up to a month, and then just like that, it's gone. And who know when it shows up again. Obviously there is something wrong, but it seems like a problem that is so rare that there really isn't any studies to find out about the problem. It ***** because it definitely affects your life. I've heard it all. Some think Anxiety, well, I've never had anxiety or panic attacks until this all started. And if it's anxiety, why does this happen at any time and last for so long regardless of how you feel. I don't live a stressful life, and all is good in my life. Yet I still get these episodes when I'm just hangin around doing nothing, or having fun, or just not even thinking about anything. It just comes out of nowhere.  I feel like it's something more to do with some type of chemical/vitamin imbalance in our bodies. Every test that I have done has always been while I was feeling fine. All these blood tests should be done when your having the episodes. I used to tell my doctor, why test me when I'm well. Anyways, I still feel it all comes down to getting the right doctor who is willing to really listen, and willing to try everything and refer you to anyone he can think of. I'll post back if I come across anything helpful.
Well, today I was officially diagnosed with BPPV (Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo) and instructed to do the Epley maneuver.  The short version is this:  crystals become dislodged in your ear and can roll around; as they hit certain areas, they trigger the vertigo.  Vibrations, such as those experienced while driving, can cause these crystals to move around.  As for the light sensitivity, I was told that the light patterns could exacerbate the effects, so if you're already experiencing mild vertigo, flashing lights could make it feel even worse.  The Epley maneuver is basically a way of playing Labyrinth with your head - you shift around and try to move the crystals into a position where they can't cause trouble.  I'll post back when I know whether this has helped me.  Just thought I'd update those of you who are keeping an eye on the thread.
Hey havent been on for a while. Been feeling great. still visiting the chiropractor, every 2 months now and everything seems to be back to normal. Hardly think about dizziness now. Went back to the hospital and there has been a major improvement. I do not have to attend anymore. My confidence is back i feel really good. Thanks for the advice everyone has given. And i hope that everyone on here finds a cure. Good luck and best wishes xx  
Hi all,

I normally feel like Im driving a car on a walking machine. I felt like I was playing video game. Im stationary but the world is moving towards me. Its really scary especially when Im driving alone. This is elevated when Im driving long distance and its raining. It hurts my eyes a whole lot as Im trying to concentrate. I tried looking elsewhere (to re-calibrate my eyes) just for a second and looking back to the road but it is still the same. I will get terrible headache and irritated at the end of the journey. I will also feel extremely sleepy and tired.

Anyone else has the same symptoms? :(
The dizziness and driving the car thing is definitely keeping me from a normal life.  I can't even drive down the interstate for 2 miles.  I have to take the exit and go the back roads.  It makes me feel totally out of control. I have got to have my life back!  I too use a CPAP and take thyroid medication.  I wondered if all that pressure was part of the problem.
I really think you and Genefreak are onto something here with the correlations to eye strain!

I too spend most of my day in front of a computer screen.. and it seems like this issue gets worse when after i spend hours in front of a computer and go for a drive.

It has gotten really intense lately because a lot of my work is done on the computer.. I'm really trying to stay away from the computer as much as I can to see if it helps.. but you know it's kinda hard when your work relies on it..

Anyone else that's suffering these symptoms and spend a lot of time in front of a computer, please chime in so we can narrow the possible causes!
Hi folks, I was driving home tonight on a 2.5 hour stretch and suddenly felt a "disequilibrium." I have had similar
symptoms for years but it was intermittent so it is hard to trace. At first I thought it might have been some food I
ate. Then I thought maybe it was the air conditioner. So I pulled over on the next exit and parked for 15 minutes
and tried to breath deeply. As I drove home, it occurred to me that I was experiencing a LOSS OF DEPTH
PERCEPTION (esp. since this "vertigo" occurs mostly at night, but not exclusively). I was able to re-train my
eyes to look at signs in the distance and tracking them as they approach, then focusing on the next sign, and so
on. In this way I was able to continue driving despite the "disequilibrium" I experienced. I hope this may be of
help to someone next time they run into a similar experience!
Best regards.
p.s. keep a window or two open for fresh air when this occurs
Cervical vertigo. This sounds plausible. Also someone said something about neck and head position during sleep? I could see where this might interrupt blood flow and/or nerve function. I've woken sometimes with neck pain. I have the same over 60 mph problem mentioned here and it's made worse when the road turns right or coming down a mountain with a wide open view. I feel like I'm floating. It's intermittent for me. What seems to work for me is neck exercises, and maybe just exercise in general, no alcohol the night before, and not too much caffeine. The worst thing for me is too much alcohol the night prior and coffee the next morning. I'm curious how a cervical pillow would help. I will also try some sort of exercise (treadmill or bike) just prior to driving to see if lack of blood flow has an impact. I suppose I cannot rule out the possibility of anxiety but I don't really have any except when speaking in front of a group of people. One thing I've noticed that when my adrenaline gets going I don't seem to have the vertigo feeling. I guess I should throw lack of proper blood due to low oxygen intake.
Like other people have said here i am glad i found this forum. I am a truck driver who driver only at night and i ahve been driving for about 6 years. Last december i was on my way back and all the sudden i felt a flutter in the top left back corner of my head. Then i got really dizzy and my vision got realy blurry and i got sick to my stomach and extremely hot. lucky i got the rig pulled over quickly. It lasted about 5-10 seconds and so i rolled the windows down (It was cold outside) And i never thought anything more of this really except the back of my head was kinda sore for a while and so i did nothing else about it. About 1-2 months later it happend again and lucky again i pulled into the rest area just ahead and i felt the same way and like i was gonna pass out. i got out and walked around and nothing helped. So finally i went to my doctor and told him and they did blood work and a cat scan of my brain. Nothing! everything was fine so he basically told me it was in my head and put me on some antidepressants so i took them for 2 months and nothing i still get dizzy spells but none have been as bad as the first 2. The problem is that it only seems to happen at night while highway driving where there is no street lights or even worse on a dark 2 lane road,its like i cant focus on anything and things get blurry and i get hot flashes.

Since this hppend the other day and i had to cal my job and tell them that i couldnt drive now they wont let me come back to work with out a dr release. but the problem is how can i get a release if the dr's dont even know. I am going to see a ENT tomorrow and hopefully get some kinda of answers. i also had my eyes checked and i have perfect 20/15 vision. I can be out on my boat fishing standing on the back corner as the waves moves me up and down and nothing no dizzy feeling or nothing i can do anything during the day and nothing happens while running,playing golf. Only when i drive down dark roads or highways at night.Some times while watching tv at home or on the computer i get a little light headed and sometimes feel my heartbeat in my temples. i am so depressed about this and hope to find a cure because driving is my life and how i provide for my wife and kids and pretty much all i can do! By the way i am 33yr old male good health and work out 5 days a week with no prior medical problems. I will check back in and let you know what the ENT says tomorrow!
Went to the ENT today and he said he didnt think it is a inner ear problem and he also did a ear pressure test which was fine. So basically another wasted dr visit and more money out the window. He said i need to go see a neurologist. So i guess that will be my next stop. i will keep you updated when i go see the neurologist. oh well
Hi highrisk. i have the same problem. your not alone. I been driving trucks for 12 years. it all started right after i got my cdl license. started driving trucks....and for some strange reason, i just start getting dizzy. only when im driving on like highways or certain large roads.....or at night, when im very tired and theres lights shiny all in my face from cars passing or street lights. sometimes i use yellow tinted glasses for night driving, it does seem to work alittle. and i drive slow. I know the feeling....it feels like you about to lose control of the vehicle and black out....and you get dizzy alittle. i think we have partial seizures, im not sure. or photosensitive seizures. its when you look at things when your driving you start getting dizzy, and flashing lights or headlights all in your face at night, while driving cause you to get dizzy, its a crazy, but like, i said, it only happens at night to me, specially when im tired. so keep in contact on here, so we can figure this out, im glad to see im not alone, i drive at night to, but dont want to give up my job, i have great benefits, you know. so, i try everything like wearing special glasses that block night glare, drink coffee to keep me up more and make me more alert.....it helps, but doesnt stop it, one thing i find that helps is to drive slower at night. so, i hope this help you. talk to you later.

I have the the feeling of tilting to my left so I saw my opto and my left eye he saw some swellen..so I may have glacouma he thinks.  I will go see a neuro optomologist next.  When my car vibrates and sitting at the light I get dizzy floatie like and and dozen off feeling.

showtime4904

All your symptoms sound like mind, but how are you treating this.

showtime4904
What you posted is very similar to me, but I haven't been in any accidents. I was wondering if you have found anything helpful?
A few episodes of a  similar feeling like some have described here, like being alert to realizing that my reaction time was too prolonged (while driving only on the freeway), happened to me some time ago.   In retrospect I realize that just prior to the onset of those episodes, I had started having cinnamon with my food, based on reports that it would reduce appetite.  Cinnamon apparently increases the body's sensitivity to insulin, and can lower the blood sugar.  Low blood sugar would likely explain that feeling of "dizziness"/ slow reaction time that would only be detectable while driving on the freeway and not with regular street driving.  During the weeks when I had the episodes, I realized if I had had my breakfast too late prior to getting on the freeway in the morning, the same feeling would be exaggerated- which would then lead to extreme sudden anxiety/"panic attack" from feeling not in control.  These later all resolved completely, but I had googled my symptoms back then and that's how I found out about this site.  So, if you are sprinkling large amounts of cinnamon on your food, stop and check your blood sugars; and make sure you are eating well a couple hours before getting on the freeway.  Avoid stress, get good sleep; eat protein every couple hours; and get a complete check up, including to make sure you do not have arrhythmia or irregular heart rate, or other causes of dizziness...
I have the exact problem, mainly on highways. Somtimes I force myself off the highway, wait for a few minutes to calm down. Its very frightening and also don't know what causes it. I sit in fron of a computer about 8 hours a day, I drink two coffees a day, I am not asmoker and I am a social drinker. I do not have this problem when someone else is driving.
It happende to me in a tunnel recently and  it was a horryfying experience. I do not go through the tunnel anymore.
Tried recently to drive on a highway but has to stop at least 3 times.
Don't know what to do. If you ever find out anything that might help, please email me at ***@****. Thanks.
Did any one actually looked into the situation of the car. because I have been having the same problems such as dizziness while driving and after a very long time I have realized that it is due to the seating position when we are in the driver seat.
How much sleep is everyone getting per night?
Hello to all
I'm another person who has the same problems as the rest of you.I just found you all, I had began to think I was going crazy.I hope we find a cure soon.
Have you had any success with this Epley treatement for BPPV?
I read your posts and you could not have expressed what happens to me any better.  My symptoms are exactly the same.
I really would love to hear how you are making out.
So good to find this site and see how many of us have the same unanswered problems.  So tired of seeing the doctor brush these symptoms off and good to know that other symptoms, such as the fatigue and tired eyes are part of what ever the problem is. I started years ago just having these dizzy spells while driving but believed the diagnosis of anxiety and left it alone, but now it has increased until it even hits me lying down. I went to a counselor who recognized that it isn't anxiety, since she contacted my doctor they have stepped up testing. slightly, all while telling me there will probably be no diagnosis. I am determined to get one myself. Please don't let your doctors blow you off. I am printing this article and it is going with me next time. Mine has gotten bad enough that I am unable to work consistently, I went from owning a small landscaping company to doing enough small side jobs to maintain my mortgage.  (My dizziness and fatigue now extend way beyond driving.)  On impulse today I googled driving and dizzy and got a disorder name. Motorist disorientation Syndrome related to a vestibular disfunction. If you would like to read articles by doctors who understand this, here is a good start..  http://www.elearningdigital.com/will/Peripheral_Causes_Vestibular_Disorders_Sensory_Mismatch_Syndromes/Peripheral_Causes_Vestibular_Disorders_Sensory_Mismatch_Syndromes_print.html

For those of you who pull to the left it is consistant with this problem. I don't pull to the left. in fact, worse when I am on the left and def. worse when others are driving. I have noticed a few truck drivers on this forum and have to say that I am horrified. It is frightening enough to do this in a small vehicle and I feel guilty after my episodes because I feel like I am endangering lives. If you have this problem and drive a semi- get a new job.
I'm 35 years old and going through this now in the last three weeks.  I guess I'm posting this to help bounce out ideas of diagnoses.  I'm not a doctor but a pretty good researcher and there is so much information is available.  Also my brother-in-law is a very good doctor and he's good to bounce ideas off of, although he does not treat me personally.  My first thought is that there are several reasons to why this is causing this which makes diagnoses very hard to do.  My thought process for diagnoses is as follows:
1.) Keep it simple and ask basic questions.  Driving is my biggest challenge and most frightening but my general questions are, when do I experience it, when are symptoms worse, better, past medical history, etc.  Do you only experience it while driving?   Also try to really accurately assess your current health (diebetes (diabetes), overweight, hypertension).
2.)  Be able to describe how you feel as accurately as possible.  Both vertigo and lightheadedness can be described as dizziness.  From what I can find, vertigo or motion sickness is typically caused by inner ear/neuro (head trauma, BPPV, infection, tumor, CNS issue) and lightheadness with circulatory/chemical problems (eg. blood pressure, diabetes, etc.)  Dizziness is my worst symptom and I'm guessing the worst for most of the people on this thread since it is about driving.
3.) I would try and succintly write down any information that can help a doctor.  We need to try and give them a break here. For example, if you generally describe these symptoms, well the Doctor more than likely may dismiss it as Menheires.  When I described how I felt to my brother-n-law that's the first thing that came out of his mouth.
4.)  Be thorough and document your doctor's visit.  If you weren't happy with the diagnoses, don't dismiss it but rather just use it as more information.  Also, if you were unhappy with your service, go to a new doctor.  So far I have been to three doctors.  Two have been trying to come up with what is causing the vertigo.  The Opthamologist actually found something that is not causing the vertigo but could be enhancing it.
5.)  Do your own research and if you have an idea of what it could be, ask your doctor if their is a simple test or request a test if it is a simple procedure.  For those posters who have had concussions, I read a great article (Harvard Medical) that said a large percentage of the cases may be BPPV or the calcium deposits shake loose.  Also stated about 70% of the doctors miss this or chalk it up to symptoms of the consussion.  Probably worth getting a test done or at least trying it out as their are videos on YouTube.

I really respect Doctors so I try and give them a break regardless of their bedside manner.  It is also important that the patient really tries to help out as much as possible.

If anyone actually resolves their issue, I hope they post it!  Thanks and Bless Everyone!
Hi, I have the EXACT same symptoms. Have you found any relief? This is ruining my life. :(

Thank you,
Candi
skimordiegirl (at) gmail (dot) com
When I am driving down the road, mainly long stretches it starts feeling like I am either not moving and everything is coming towards me, or that the road looks like it's bending downward a little in the distance (this may be normal, but I am so hyper vigilant now that it appears this way?) This started out of the blue for no reason.

Hi,....I know u joined the Chiari forum....this is a general neuro forum where the members will and can have all sorts of neuro issues...since u have Chiari u may want to post in the Chiari forum as vision issues as u mentioned here r typical for those with Chiari...depth perception is off, night vision, Peripheral vision..blurry vision , floaters...etc...

Much of my vision issues got better with my surgery for chiari...although I do have EDS and do have some remaining issues that r due to that condition....so, it is good to know what is causing it...and once u have a dx u may want to research it a bit further....I hope u stop by the chiari forum for more info and insight : )
Hi Selma,

I actually sent my scans to the TCI place in New York, they said I didn't have Chiari. :( So now I am back on the long journey to find an answer :(

Thank you for reaching out to me though, I do appreciate that!! :)
Over the last few weeks when coming home from work at night I feel like I'm driving in my sleep and I have to make a huge effort to feel like I am actually awake.  I get really dizzy, lightheaded and feel like I'm gonna pass out. I just had an ekg and echocardiogram and both were normal.  I thought at first I was having a panic attack. Tonight it happened again. I want to know if the other people who experience this wear glasses.  It helped me to turn the rear view away so I cannot see the lights in my glasses. It feels like a sensory overload looking at the lights in the rearview mirrors.
Well been to 6 different doctors and each thinks it's something different.  
I do recommend that people continue seeing a doctor until they get help.  My symptoms have been improving but I have been reluctant to start driving at higher speeds.  I did have an episode this morning which felt more like a panic attack as opposed to being dizzy with vertigo before.  Anyway, I thought I would post what each Doctor has come up with as it may help you guys.
Doctor 1 (Internal Medicine) - Labyrynthitus; prescribed antibiotics, also read that it can increase anxiety which really makes sense.
Doctor 2 (Opthamologist) - Everyone has a weaker eye; blurred vision can be caused by the "lazy" eye kicking out or convergence.  Treatable with therapy or prism glasses.
Doctor 3 (Neurologist) - Basic motor skills test; nothing seemed off.  Did not recommend imaging at this time.
Doctor 4 (ENT) - Didn't think it was inner ear but wants me to get all my audio function tested anyway.  Thought it was neurological or something else; referred to vestibular therapy anyway.  Not sure I really thought he knew what was going on.
Doctor 5 - Meniere's disease; which does exist but kinda a "cop out" in my opinion.  The best thing to do if you think you have that is restrict your diet to 1500-2000mg of sodium a day and see if it helps.  I restricted my sodium but didn't make much difference, not to say I don't have it.  Regardless, it's a healthier lifestyle and costs nothing so worth a shot.
Doctor 6 - Waiting on blood work; EKG came back abnormal but probably something minor.  May have had it anyway since I have never been tested.  Have Echo scheduled.

Regardless, most of these doctors did not think I was crazy so I hate it for some of you guys on here.  So hang in there.
I also have all these symptoms.  Mine started 2 years ago.  I was always the person driving.  Then one night it just hit me.  I couldn't drive.  I have been to many doctors also-
1) ENT-thought it couldn't be my ears-everything looked good
2)Chiropractor-because I thought it had to do with my tight neck-no help
3)MRI-came out clean
4) 1st Neurologist-said it was migraines-she retired before I could get back in her office.
5) 2nd Neurologist-said it was in my head and to see a psychologist-did not go back to her.
6) 3rd Neurologist-said it was migraines and put me on medicine-had a bad reaction to the medicine.  I called and told him and he told me to keep taking it.  Stopped taking the medicine and didn't go back to him.
7)4th Neurologist-said it was migraines and put me on medicine to control them.  
8)Opthamologist-said it was ocular migraines
9)Autoimmue Doctor-said it was migraines and to see a neurologist

I started taking the medicine and I don't have my visual problems anymore but I do get headaches everytime I drive.  Bright lights (head lights) will set my migraines off.  I am hoping this is the cure but I am not sure.

I am not saying this is what everyone on this site has but the medicine has help me.  

The neuroloigist said that I am having migraines that has symptoms like epilespy.  The movement of the passing cars is what is setting off the migraines.  That is why the faster I go in my car the worst the problem is for me.  It took me a long time to believe that is migraines because at first i didn't even have headaches
I agree with what you said Jester! I have suffered from vertigo for over 23 yrs due to a viral infection. I also suffer from positional vertigo. I notice when I change pillows etc I have vertigo for the first couple minutes of rising or more. Lately however it can be half the day or more. I am going through testing right now for fibromyalgia. I am missing a lot of work these past three months due to having to drive farther to work then I use too. I am having problems driving like other have said in here ... feeling like falling, floating etc. especially on the highway....neck stiffening, dizzy and more. I think its time to get back to massage/chiropractor and maybe changing up my pillows! Doesn't help that I am in menopause and not sleeping well.
So sorry you are having to deal with this dizziness problem!  Have you gone to an Ear and Nose Specialist? Have you been tested for inner ear
concerns. Positional dizziness was an easy fix for me.  The crystal like
"stones" in my ear needed to be placed back in the proper part of my ear.

One visit to The Balance Institute cured me for the time being! Great relief.
Had feeling that I would faint while driving after having banged my head in a fall. Had 6 months of positional dizzy experience. Nausea occasionally too.  The problem reappeared 4 years after the fall. Good luck and I hope this helps you.
please help find a cure . im a single mom an my kids depend on me . this scares me...all these symptoms are like mine...cant afford medical. an cant get medical because I have a small daycare . i can only get medical if i stop working...but i need to put food on the table...please any DOCTORS OUT THERE THAT CAN HELP.. CANT TAKE THIS FEELING ANYMORE....I NEED TO DRIVE ITS MY LIFE TO TAKE CARE OF MY KIDS THEY NEED TO GO TO SCHOOL. WE DONT HAVE A BUS ROUT...PLEASE HELP... FR:.MS. LINDA
I am having similar problems describe in this thread except I don't feel dizzy or have headache. I first noticed the problem on Nov 2 while driving on I24, I had to pack my car and towed it back home. Now I have totally avoided highway but even on side road I can't drive  over 30mile/hr. If I tried to go faster it feels like everything is coming towards me and it gets worse around corners and while driving down sloppy road.
I am suspecting that my problem is caused by clindamycin and clobetasol propionate that my dermatologist prescribe for bumps I had on my scalp. I started applying it on October 31 and three days later I experienced this problem. I have stopped applying these medications but the problem persists.
My PCP can't figure it out but I have a Neurologist appoint in about a week.
I have the same problem for years but got worse last October that even changing lane was so difficult. I've seen a psychiatrist, neurosurgeon and finally a head and neck specialist. I was diagnosed with disequilibrium and just started with balance therapy. I haven't been driving since October 2012 and quit my job last month. I was trying to relieve some of life stresses so I quit my job. I am not sure if the balance therapy will help me go back to driving again. I was also given a Paxil. I was told that my balance issue give me anxiety and so I panic.

After doing some balance and eye exercise for a week. I am able to drive yesterday for a while. My husband noticed that I am no longer driving at the right side as I always did. I was actually in the middle of the lane. Twice a year, I have a flat tire on the passenger side cause I drive so close to the curb and picked up nails.

Some of my exercise includes standing in a platform and I was harnessed to prevent falling. I do front/ back, left/ right exercise, around to the right and then left following the highlighted square on the screen by moving my body towards it. I also do some balance exercise I found in "you tube". My first evaluation I was so bad and got 55 score. (70 is the passing). Small movement on the platform makes me jerk specially when my eyes are closed. I felt the same way when I was diving...felt that the car will tilt when driving in the curve or slide when changing lane. I think the eye/ balance exercise is helping me. I will be evaluated again next month and my score might improve. Hoping for the best.
I'm finding everyone's comments very refreshing just knowing that I'm not alone!
I started experiencing problems driving on the highway the fall of last year.
I thought it was due to the fact that my car was 15 years old and probably needed mechanical work on the steering and front suspension. So...I decided to get a new car and it freaked me out that I was still noticing a problem even while in the new car driving on highways and going above 50 mph. I'd have to keep my hands planted FIRMLY on the steering wheel and just look straight ahead. I could barely even lower my eyes to look at my speedometer or even want to turn my head to look over my shoulder to change lanes. I also noticed that I was driving in the far right area of the lane, nearly driving on the lane markings, and I had a tough time staying in the center. So, once again I blamed it on the "feel" of the power steering. I kept the car two months and replaced it with a smaller car from a different manufacturer. The problem has improved somewhat, but I'm still feeling uncomfortable going above 65. (I drive I-95 where, if you aren't going at least 80+, you'll be forced off the road. I can remember driving this highway with just one hand on the wheel...but NOT anymore!
I'm now on an anti-anxiety prescription medication,which I really don't want to take, but thought I'd better try it to see if there is any further improvement.  This is without a doubt the strangest thing I've ever experienced and am desparate to nip it in the bud and get on with life!
This is my second post on this thread - the last one was in 2010.

In brief, I was diagnosed with BPPV in about 2008.   I felt like I was in a fog all day long.   I could walk, but it required special effort.   I had trouble knowing if I was actually awake.  It was all very surreal.   Doing the brandt-daroff exercises for 1 week got me back to normal.  Just google it, there is a youtube video which shows you how to do it.   If you have not tried it, give it a go.   If it does not work for you, you've lost 10 minutes a day.  

I have now managed to stay symptom free for the past 3 years, which I believe is due 100% to adopting a healthier lifestyle.   I have cut out all soft drinks.   I cut out coffee.  I make sure that the food I buy is organic and not sprayed with pesticides or genetically modified.   Eating this way will cost you about twice as much money.   Is your health worth it?   People these days all have these weird symptoms, and cancer rates are at all time highs, yet we continue to eat food which is GENETICALLY MODIFIED and think it has no bearing on all of this.   90% of the stuff in the stores is modified or has some sort of chemicals added.   I can't prove this is the reason I was dizzy, but logically, I have to believe it had something to do with it.  

Even if it didn't help my dizzyness, I feel more alive than I have in years.   I am fit and healthy and loving life.  

I truly hope that some more of you experiment with diet (and exercise) and achieve positive results and can post them here.  

Best of luck to you all, as I know how scary this condition can be.  

-Rick
Hi i'm back again. I moved closer to work so the drive has been shortened by 25 mins, and back roads. Have not experienced the dizzy-vertigo going to faint feeling up until this past week. Went on vacation and had to drive 5 hours on the freeway to get there. Didn't have the feeling until i got home. everyday this week i have been feeling like i do when i spend time on a boat then step on dry land. Kinda floating, like the earth is moving under me feeling. I experienced my legs getting stiff while sitting at my computer at work then getting up to walk around. Had to get the blood circulating. It has really scared me and i left early on thursday and went to the doctor. 4 days straight and the symptoms seemed to be getting a little worse by day so it was time to go get checked out. I am glad for these posts as i have been to family doc, no infections or diseases according to urine and blood work. the doctor doesn't know whats wrong. I have had MRI, ear tests, blood tests, physical, heart...everything is normal and i am generally a healthy person. when i was on vacation, i sat in a whirlpool the first evening, then got a massage the following morning. I think maybe these actions have brought on the feeling again. I thought maybe because of my lasik surgery, that my prescription my have changed in one of my eyes and is throwing off my balance. I like the chiropractor idea and maybe the nerves in my neck are getting squished(so to speak) when i sleep. I have an older Sealy mattress, may be time for a new one. I am going to schedule an appnt with a chrio and see what happens.
Oh the doc told me my blood pressure is/was 93 over like 65 or something close to that. She thought that i could have had a low pressure spell causing me to feel like i was going to faint. Then she suggested that my nasal passage and ears were congested and i may have allergies or sinus infection and suggested Allegra. Not going that route since i do not feel any sinus pressure or consistent sneezing. Not big on taking medication, i usually don't. Then she suggested that an antihistamine may dry out my sinus passage, could have water in my ears throwing off my balance. I went to the pharmacy and picked up some motion sickness meds. And i have been drinking alot of gatoraide since i think i may have had a bit of dehydration due to a lot of physical activity over a few months time with little rest. (work on my recently purchased home on weekends then work all week without a downtime day to recoop). Going to look into a chrio this week and see what happens.
Have you ever considered it to be Vertigo? It can make you feel this way and can cause migraines.
I just found this on a Google search for highway vertigo and read through it, it's very interesting.  I've had very similar things happen (vertigo on the highway over a certain speed/on downhills etc) but I don't have it 100% of the time and some highways are ok, others are not. Some of it seems like panic or anxiety attacks, which is something I am familiar with, unfortunately,  Those started 12 years ago when my father became really ill and never completely went away.  In my case, this problem with highway vertigo and these attacks of whatever they are seems to be related to having things moving on both sides of my field of vision or a wide open view on a downhill grade.  Example, when I am in the right lane and a major exit splits off on my right side where I have cars moving faster than I am on both sides. That can really set it off and it can get scary, sometimes I need to slow down but I've always forced myself to continue driving.  Sometimes I can drive in the middle lane without problems, sometimes it's bad.  I noticed at a sporting event where we had seats hanging out over the lower arena with a video screen on one side and movement on the other, clear plexiglas in front.  That was bad in a very similar way and I had to get up and move, just a few rows up where I had something on each side was okay.  I've also had it happen to a lesser degree on a small road when sunlight filters through trees and does a strobe light effect.  

I'm interested in the various thoughts about cervical vertigo because I have upper back and neck problems, it generally feels like someone is branding me between the shoulder blades with a hot iron, I've learned to ignore it over time.  I do have a good chiro and I will ask her about cervical vertigo.  

My question for you other poor souls is whether you have brain fog and fatigue to go along with this?  Some days it's all I can do to get out of bed and put one foot in front of the other and I'm usually a bit of a spaz.  I suspect it's all due to blood flow to the brain or something like that, since I'm blessed with normal to low blood pressure and excellent health otherwise in all other measureable ways (I'm 52).  It's gotta be something hit or miss, I slept wrong or something silly like that because some days are a lot better than others and if it was something more serious I should have it more consistently.  

I was diagnosed some years ago with General Anxiety Disorder around the time that the panic attacks started and went through CBT to sort a lot of that out.  I've never taken meds because of the side effects, I was recently given a script for the smallest dose of Buspar and I've thought of taking that as a test for it being anxiety related.  However, I'd like to find the root cause rather than medicate the symptoms so the chiro and the various vertigo versions seem to be a place to start.  Good luck to everyone, this certainly ***** when it happens and all these comments have been really helpful.  
Thank you for sharing your experience, but most of the posters are NOT experiencing panic attacks. They do panic, but only because they suddenly feel like they are going to pass out while driving at high freeway speeds.
Thank you for so succinctly explaining what has also been happening .
Some additional info. I would like to share that may help give some clues to others is: The first time this happened I had inadvertently overdosed on caffeine by drinking large amounts of soda and taking a vitamin packet I bought at a gas station. It turns out the "herbal energy" tablets have major amounts of natural cafiiiene! I had to pull,over several times because I had the sudden feeling that I was about to black out. The next morning I woke up, splashed water on my face, and couldn't tell where my hands were. I later found out this is a common experience just before you pass out. I instinctively went to the floor and put my head between my knees. I then called 911 because thought I was having a stroke. As the paramedics were questioning me I told them about the day before and said thenonlynthing I did different was large amounts of caffeine and the vitamin packet. BINGO! They told me about the largemampuntsmof caffeine in the "energy" pill. I don't remember which tests the ER ran, but they did everyone to check for signs of a stroke. All tests came back normal.
After this valid "caffeine overdose" explanation, I thought the problem would never happen again, but it has on random occasions.
Here are the common criteria:
Driving for long periods of time
Night
Worse white oncoming lights, and or breaks in patterns
Dirty windshield and/or glasses ( happened once during the day)
Tired
Possibly related to caffeine intake, but not enoug episodes to generate enough data

Background on possible contributing medical issues:
Female
48 years old ( first episode approx. 12 years ago)
Treated for TMJ wear night appliance for grinding and jaw forward
Approx. 30 pounds overweight
Surgery for deviated septum, polip and swollen turbinate did help some with apnea and snoring issues
Never had panic attacks
Once I started teaching middle school in a high crime area, I went on antidepressants to help deal with the stress Paxil first, last few years switched to Lexapro ( you would be surprised how many teachers in southern CA are on antidepressants to deal with the stress of the job!!!)
Noticed memory issues once taking antidepressants, but acute stress can
also exacerbate this problem

What
I'm exactly like JavaJulie with the same activities on computers a day. For medical story I've been treated for tension headache 7 years ago with FIORICET. I also have a strong headache after getting drunk from beer oe any other alcohol type drink. I don't eat meat if that may count.
It's the coffee
I have the exact same condition. The jolting feeling like you are falling asleep is scary, especially considering I am not tired!
I have been getting this since January 2013. Lately it's been even when driving on the highway at 45 mph. I feel like everything is going so fast. When I look at a car going in the opposite directing or I pass a sign, it looks like it's flying past me. :(
After many months of seeing specialists, I now know my diagnosis: Vestibluar Migaine.  Please learn about Vestibular Migraine b/c it does not have to involve pain, causes dizziness, can be constant, often triggred by motion (driving)...  I'm so relieved to finally know what it is.  Treatment includes vestibular depressant med's, which may take months to take full effect, but it is worth it!  I can now drive on the hwy. in the dark at 50 MPH.  It has absolutely nothing to do with anxiety, so please don't think there is anything you can do on your own.  PT severely exacerbated my condition when I was put on a driving simulator! I hope you can take this info. to your PCP, ENT, Nuerologist or whoever is treating you b/c it is not a well-known condition, but is suffered by many.  My ENT also said he expectes it to subside by the time I reach my 60's.
I need help, Please someone  give me some advices
I am 56 years old, smoking, have tyroid problem and high cholesterol taking medicine daily thyroxine 112 Mg for tyroid and atorvastatine 10Mg for Cholesterol. But daily I fell healthy normal life working, eating, sleeping..
This is the first time in my life to have a symptom like this. On 10/11/13 when I was driving and I felt dizziness , nausea, unstable felling in 1 minutes I stop and rest for 5 minutes I felt ok, but  next day 10/12/13 morning after driving for 2 miles, especial get on freeway for more 2 miles, symptom star to develop very quickly, feeling look like nauseous, vomiting, unstable feeling , nervous, heart bit fast and faster, both arms and legs so weak  , body get wet, have to pullover.  Called family pickup my car and drive me home, in same day at night I got the same problem again. Only happen if I am driving, no problem seat in the car with someone driving, and I felt normal to do all activity, I read all in this room but  no one have the same vertigo symptom  I went to see family doctor on 10/14 checked and exam  everything ok, doctor  said with this symptom  I have a vertigo problem gave me meclizine 25 mg, this drug used prevent seasick and refer to specialist doctor but take a week for appointment . And aloso I went to see OD doctor to exam my eye, all normal, don’t need  new glasses.  I am so worry about my job,  and I work in field services I drive a lot daily , this morning 10/15/13 I tried go to work but I got same problem on freeway, I have to pull over and call for help. If this happen exist so long I will lost my job,  Please someone help me, email me ***@****.
Thank you
Jesus saves:find him find relief
Hi All,

Firstly relax yourself, you have a solution. There are many factors to cause this issue which are pretty simple to get rid off.
1. Take away stress out of your mind while driving.
2. Deep breath in breath out often
3. Reduce if not avoid coffee(caffeine), alcoholic, drugs drnks
4. Practice meditation/Yoga etc 5-10 min and refresh your mind
5. Drink water sip by sip while drinking

IMPORTANT: If you feel dizzy, vertica on highway slow down, take exit stop your vehicle safely and for 20 min, blink your eyes, drink some water, take a nap in car for 15 min, feel fresh, if needed relax some more minutes. Life is more precious than anything. Once comfortable then only drive. Hope this helps.
Happy driving.
To All: You might think I am crazy but I can tell you this will work.
Ask Jesus to heal you, you have nothing to lose. Ask him in faith believing that he can do it. Try it watch what happens.
Also believe the died for us on the cross for and thru what he did he brings forgiveness.
God bless you all and let us know what happen.
My experience for the past two years is almost exactly the same as yours. It almost always occurs during the daylight hours on wide stretches of highway. In addition to sharing your symptoms I also have the feeling the car will not turn to the right in corners, especially when there is oncoming traffic. I usually experience a heavy tired feeling at the same time. My symptoms rarely occur at night or on more narrow roads. There must be an explanation if there are many of us experiencing the same symptoms.
My first issue with my vision seemed to get better, but now I am having issues with movement. It seems when I am in a car and I see another moving car they appear to be wiggling in my field of vision and also seem to be going really fast. Does anyone else have this?

I started having the Vertigo and dizzy feeling last Christmas.  I do not know what triggers it and I have been taking over the counter motion sickness pills that did work but are not working anymore.  

I feel dizzy all day and just recently driving in my car I feel like the traffic next to me is going to hit me.  And it is worse when I am the passenger in the car.  I try to look at my phone to keep my eyes off the road but I am terrified.  I cannot afford to go to the doctors and do not have medical insurance.  Anyone have any similiar symptoms or suggestions?

Patty
i have the same problems mainly now at night when driving did you ever find out what its down to
Interesting.  I too got dizzy driving home from vacation ( fine driving there).  Like you, I sat in a whirlpool with a bunch of other vacationers that ignored the yellow tape surrounding it.  I have always wondered if that may be it.  I still get dizzy driving some 4 years later,  and wondered if it is some kind of virus I got from someone else in that whirlpool.
I'm a 34 year old female & I have also been diagnosed with FMD. I too have dizzy spells when driving. I often feel as if my hands aren't my own & I lose all motor function of my arms & legs. I have had an EEG & several scans of my head & neck. I suffered from bilateral vertebral dissections before any of this started happening. So far the doctors have not been able to figure out what is wrong.
Yes! I definitely know what your going through. I'll be driving like any regular day then boom! All of a sudden here comes the dizziness and double vision which is then followed by a numb headache. When this happens my eyes starts to cross, I see two roads,two cars,two trees when only there is just one of each. I have to put on my hazard lights  and pull over quickly and wait for the vertigo to pass. The scary part is that I have passengers in the car with me and when this panic take place they have no idea of what's going on. When I get dizzy, it feels like I'm falling to the right so when I'm driving my car is going right because that's the way I'm falling. I quickly put the car in park and turn on my hazard lights no matter where I am. Cars may blow their horn but hey it's better being safe then sorry. When this happens I found out that letting my driver seat all the way back and turning off the car so there is no noise, it kind of eases the vertigo a little more quickly then just waiting for it to pass. Hope this was helpful
I feel so much better knowing there's other people out there going through this. My God i have been feeling this way for about 1 year now. I just had a baby 5 weeks ago, and of course everyone tells me it's all just pregnancy related. Now 5 weeks after giving birth it's still here. I feel like i'm not in control of my car, I feel like I panic, and I struggle leaning to my right side in the car. It's absolutely terrifying!!! I can drive on local streets not going faster than 40-45 miles per hour. The expressway is now my biggest fear ever. I'm just turned 35 yrs old, and have been driving since I was 16yrs old. Now i feel as if the enjoyment & freedom I always had driving has been taken away. I am so tense, and nervous driving... I tried to drive a 3 mile stretch on the expressway yesterday,,,,,,, hell on earth. I had to pull over 3 times in sheer panic. I wanted to quit, but I had to get home, so I pushed through with my body so tense, and my hands sweating... [not normal for me]. This issue makes me want to break down and just cry,,,, feeling crazy & disabled....
*** Thank you all for sharing your stories.
It really helped me to hear them. I have a Dr's appt in 2days, and I will be seeking help.
omg,,,,, I have the same problem, and thought it was just me.... have you been to the Dr? i'm going in 2days, and begging for help. i'm 35yrs old, and don't understand why this is happening. It started for me almost 1yr ago.
java,
Check out vestibular syndrome. What you are describing is what I was diagnosed with and it will give you more info. The connection between Brain, hearing, taste, sight and balance is in play. Also I believe that with tbi we are only able to process a limited amount of pain and then the brain shuts down. We don't even know we are in pain thus the problems of the light or too much stimuli to the brain causing your body to react in those ways as a warning of shutdown..
I have found relief (so far) from these exact same symptoms. I realize this might not work for everybody, but even if it works for one person, it's worth it. I will tell you my symptoms first, although they are similar to those above. This started when I took a 13 hour drive home for the holidays. The last couple hours I was fairly confident I was driving a plane and not a car. I chalked it up to motion sickness from being in the car that often and forgot about it until it happened on my way home. I ignored it again because I wasn't planning on making that long of a trip any time soon. However, I did make a 45 minute trip to visit friends shortly thereafter. I started getting the motion sickness at the stop light on a major highway. I made it to my friend's house okay, but on my way back, I got so dizzy I was sure I would crash. I started panicking, but since I used to have panic attack frequently in my early 20's, I knew how to handle them. I want to reiterate that I felt the panic after the dizziness set in. I went to a doctor immediately and he decided I had a sinus infection. I went to that doctor 3 more times for more medication. I couldn't even stand up for longer than a couple minutes at a time. I took nearly 4 weeks off of my job. I bought a humidifier and started using a neil med spray to get rid of the sinus infection faster. I did not have any pain in my sinuses at all and was about to go back to the doctor from the pain, but after the third medication, a ridiculous amount of mucus came out of me. I was finally feeling well enough to go to work. I found, however, that while I started out doing full days, I had to go to half days eventually. I went to an ENT doctor and got the scope and CT scan done. They said there was nothing unusual. I just had a little fluid in the sinuses below my cheeks indicating that I did have a sinus infection. I started taking sudafed daily on the advice from one of my coworkers and was feeling better, although not great. My mother told me to see an allergist. I fought it because I had never had any problems with allergies before and I didn't get any of the stereotypical symptoms like itchiness or rashes or sneezing or tickling back throat. Finally I decided that I needed to do SOMETHING so I went in. It turns out that I am highly allergic to almost everything except foods. I was prescribed Q-nasl and told to do allergy shots. Within two days of using Q-Nasl, I was feeling so much better. And the best part is that I could drive.

Now I take a sudafed 12hr every day. I do the neilmed saline wash 4 times a day, and take the Q-Nasl every morning. I have been feeling almost normal. Apparently sudafed can cause high blood pressure, so I don't recommend anyone with those issues to take it daily like I do. Neilmed anyone can use. The Q-Nasl burns when going in, but it works so much better than nasonex does for me. I also take Claritin when my throat feels like it's going to close due to a high pollen count day.

I still need the sudafed which makes my allergist think that there might be something the the ENT missed. I am bringing him my CT scan so he can take a look at it and possibly get a third opinion by another ENT doctor.

I still have trouble on some days driving a long distance. I chew gum and that helps with the pressure in my ears. Otherwise, I'm almost back to normal. I hope this helps someone on this thread.
Thank you! You have describe my issues 98% correctly.  Mine started about three months ago. I am now searching for help. Scary!
Any luck??  I have been having the same issues for almost 2 years now.  I have had every test known to man done and everything comes back good.  I have been thinking it has something to do with antidepressants, as this all started shortly after being prescribed one, but dr has changed to 2 others and I am still having the problem.  I never even considered the clindamycin gel but now that I think about it I was prescribed it the same visit as the antidepressant when all the symptoms started and still use it.
Viewing 201-302 comments: