Doctor, can we distinguish normal vs pathological fasciculation?
My dad passed away last year from ALS.  Now I am experiencing muscular fasciculations (I am a 48-year-old woman).  Could this be normal, how do we distinguish between normal "twitches" and something that may be pathological?  The frequency?  I am recording the time and location of "twitches" that occur with a frequency greater than 3x/10 seconds in the same place.  Just noticed this in the last three months.
Whether you are normal or have ALS, the clinical presentation of fasciculations would be the same and would be the visible twitching of the muscle which are seen on EMG as fasciculation potentials. By themselves, it would be very difficult to determine whether they are benign or malignant.

There are, however, some reports of clinical experiences that the frequency and location of fasciculations could be predictive of ALS, noting that those with less fasciculations and at different locations are more likely to develop ALS than those with more frequent fasciculations occuring at the same location.

You should consult your neurologist if you want to learn more about your condition.
Fasciculation’s are involuntary contractions and twitching of groups of muscle fibers. Fasciculation’s that occurs frequently should be evaluated by neurologist to distinguish them of being pathological.
Thank you very much!
I am experiencing the same symptoms.  I have been doing some experiments and have found that sub whoofers on computers, stereos, tv and even the new tvs effect me.  My neighbour has a new tv and I know when it is on and when it is off. I just tremble inside and twitch constantly.  I am in the process of going for a full body mri and also nerve testing.  Hopefully the docs will find out what is causing this.  I still say it is the frequencies from all the subs, amplifiers, and tvs. I have been suffering with this for 7 years and it is driving me to the ground.  it is only very bad when I am home in my apartment, it is not quite as bad in a house or at work.
hope this helps
mb
I have been experiencing strange muscle twtiching as well. I definately hold ALS in the back of my mind. Mine are pretty intense and can last for several days at a time. I also get feeling of use and tightness there too, and they generally affect my left shoulder, right thigh, and calf. No loss of strength or athrophy that I notice. It still worries me a bi, but I just keep trucking.