Neurology Community
Effects of Lack of Oxygen During Pregnancy & Labor
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Effects of Lack of Oxygen During Pregnancy & Labor

My child had a low heart rate at my final pre-natal visit (although apparently not low enough to warrant any intervention or follow-up). It was still low at my induction 1 week later & dropped even lower during delivery. I believe it was below 110 for just over 2.5 mins at the longest point, but was consistantly dropping & not really getting to a normal high even without contractions. After delivery, his APGAR score was fine & he had been developing normally & meeting all of his milestones up to his 12 month appointment. He is now 18 months old & has fallen behind on some milestones (not really talking other than mama, dada or consistantly pointing to body parts and just recently using gestures). His motor skills are fantastic, he has pretty decent problem solving skills & he can follow simple directions. My question is, if there was some damage to the brain due to a lack of oxygen during pregnancy & birth, is it possible for it to be reversed with early intervention, or would it be a permanent disability?