Epilepsy/weird smell/vomiting
My father in law is in his mid 50's.For about 6 months now he has been having the smelll of dirt constantly.It happens all the time and is now making him very nauseous and vomit.He has lost about 30 pounds from this now.He has been diagnosed with epilepsy years and years ago and is on mediaction for it but now he has these particular symptoms which he never had before.Could it possibly be a Temporal Lobe condition? He has seen a nuerologist and had test done but thay found nothing.Is there anything you suggest as far as tests , possible conditions to check into or any info you might have?Thank you in advance for your time.
Has he undergo CT scan and MRI of brain? Brain tumor can be a cause of olfactory hallucination. Apart from that i think you can also get an ENT examination done to rule out nasal polyps, rhinitis and deviated nasal septum. Epilepsy can also cause this symptom. I suggest you to get CT scan of brain and see an ENT specialist.Good Luck!
Hi!
I am a mother of 3 girls, now age 18, 13 and 11, all diagnosed with short chain acryl-coa dehydrogenase deficiency polymorphism.
Youngest has mild symptoms, only mild hypothonia.
The others have more severe symptomes as faillure to thrive, epilepsy, mental retardation, and in infancy poor feeding with slimy stinking faeces.
When they are about to have seizures, my husband knows before they start: he smells them! A sour odor !!
Can anyone explain me how this is possible?
Is it related to their metabolic disease or just to a special kind of seizure.
They have NO hypoglycaemia, and no brain abnormalitys were shown on MRI.
In my own childhood, i was also diagnoses with epilepsiy,
Hypoglycaemia and grow retardation. Seizures startend at onset 5 years and disappeared when i was 8 years old. But i am just a heterozygote carrier, also is my husband.
Sorry for my poor english writing skills, i'm from the Netherlands.
Just hoping for an answer,

Greetzzz to all!
Srry, name of disease must be: short chain acyl-CoA dehydrogenase deficiency polymorphism...