Neurology Community
Epstein Barr Virus vs Lyme disease

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Epstein Barr Virus vs Lyme disease

I was diagnosed with EBV two and one half years ago and am still suffering from various symptoms.  Lately, I have been reading a lot about Lyme Disease and am wondering if the test for EBV can be positive when you really have Lyme Disease.  I was tested once for Lyme and it came back negative.  Has anyone who tested positive for EBV when they really had Lyme Disease instead?

Mike
Lyme disease is very hard to diagnose.  You can test negative and still have it.  Most physicians use the first screening test for it (ELISA) which is something like 40% accurate.  What typically happens is, it comes back negative and the doctors says it's not lyme.  This is often the end of the road regarding lyme so many people suffer endlessly with debilitating symptoms.  Most of us have EBV in our systems.  Did they test IGG(past infection) or IGM(current infection) or both?  Usually it's both.  EBV can be treated with antivirals if it is active.  Also, lyme causes the immune system to be depressed so then the dormant EBV becomes active.
Patsy

They tested me for both and the test showed Iwas high >170 for IgG.  My tests showed negative for IgM,  My Dr did give me Valtrex after I asked a couple of times.  It did seem to help, but that was about two years ago and I still don't have my strength or energy back.

Mike

That's indicates an old infection.  I think something else is causing your symptoms.  Did your doctor do a lyme western blot, or was it the ELISA?
They did a Western Blot Reflex for Lyme IgG/IgM Ab & Ab,Quant, IgM; both of which were negative.  This test was done about a year after I got sick and was diagnosed with EBV.
Hi Mike

I was diagnosed with EBV (infectious mononucleosis in 2003 and in 2005 diagnosed with chronic fatigue) and although I have gone on with my life, now  taking my masters degree I have never felt better. Typically by the end of every semester I seem to have mono like systems, no energy, abdominal pain and ***** tonsils. Once the stress cools off they also go. My parents have become frustrated with me saying that there should be an end to this and after 7 years of this I am too. It has always been in the back of my mind that just before the onset of mono systems I was an undergrad in Alberta and one day after I was brushing my hair after having a shower there was a little brown tic on my hair brush, but I thought it was a spider (being a Vancouver girl, I was not familiar with them and thought a four legged spider I have never seen that before) Within about 2-3 weeks of that time I began to exhibit extreme fatigue and swollen lymphnodes, but it was  almost 2 months since that time that i was diagnosed with mono. I have been wondering ever since then could I actually have lymes disease underlyingly and that is why the Epstein bar will not clear off. Is it possible do you think would this account for the 7 years of end of the semester ***** tonsils?
Hi Mike

I was diagnosed with EBV (infectious mononucleosis in 2003 and in 2005 diagnosed with chronic fatigue) and although I have gone on with my life, now  taking my masters degree I have never felt well. Typically by the end of every semester I seem to have mono like systems, no energy, abdominal pain and pusy tonsils. Once the stress cools off they also go. My parents have become frustrated with me saying that there should be an end to this and after 7 years of this I am too. It has always been in the back of my mind that just before the onset of mono systems I was an undergrad in Alberta and one day after I was brushing my hair after having a shower there was a little brown tic on my hair brush, but I thought it was a spider (being a Vancouver girl, I was not familiar with them and thought a four legged spider I have never seen that before) Within about 2-3 weeks of that time I began to exhibit extreme fatigue and swollen lymphnodes, but it was  almost 2 months since that time that i was diagnosed with mono. I have been wondering ever since then could I actually have lymes disease underlyingly and that is why the Epstein bar will not clear off. Is it possible do you think would this account for the 7 years of end of the semester pusy tonsils?