Neurology Community
Excruciating Electric-Shock Pain in Back of Knee

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

For the past two years my wife (Age 47, 5'3", 140lbs) has had painfull attacks in the back of her knee that she describes as feeling like electric shocks.  Many times these are so painfull that they bring her right down to the floor where she screams and/or cries out in agony.  There is no pattern of when this happens. They are very random and can occur when she's sitting, walking, running or laying in bed.  They also can occur once in a day or week, or several times in  the same day.  She has had ultrasounds, xrays, mri's, vein tests, nerve tests, etc., and no doctor yet has diagnosed her problem.  It scares the heck out of me sometimes because it comes on so quick that there is a violent jerk reaction followed by cries of pain and agony.  The location of these painfull electric shocks is in the back of the knee about an inch or two below where the knee bends.  We've already checked on it being a Bakers Cyst causing the problem so I don't think it's that.  Because of the electrical-shock like nature of the pain, I'm guessing it has something to do with a nerve or vein being squeezed or pinched.  But how does that exlplain painfull attackes when she's laying completely flat or in a recliner and not moving a muscle?  I should add the she is a nail technician and sits for periods of time with her legs crossed.  But she has had a vein test and everything came out normal.  She does take B12 shots because at time she is deficient in Vitamin B12.  But that doesnt' seem to help.  She did have injections of botox which helped somewhat but not a whole heck of a lot.  We are at a loss for what is wrong. The Dr's. are at a loss. We've been to 5 or 6 specialists and my wife is at wits end.  Any suggestions?
My Husband posted the above comment and I am at my wits end,I evan had a Hysterectomy with the thinking it could be slightly related,I had knee surgery where they scoped out the knee.had an attack while recouperating...this is the scariest thing because you do not know when it will hit or how bad it will be.I am trying to get into Yale but now need a referral from the  ortho surgeon who last treated me, has anyone ever had help with this or have had a definite diagnoses?
Ricky I had the pain for 2 years before the knee surgery,I do have a herniation in my l4 l5 with no fat around the discs but I never have pain in the buttocks or back when the attacks happen....the attacks come out of no where,the ortho who preformed the knee surgery was trying to help me he wants me at a bigger hospitol where they might have dealt with this before......My husband has found about 50 posts just like mine but I do not see that anyone has come back with an answer but all of the post describe the exact same symptoms as mine????
I have exactly the same problem as you describe . have you had any answers?Thanks Clara
Finally I know I am not alone. I am a 60 yr. old female, 5'2" and 156 pounds. My attacks started in early November. I've had two major attacks since then, with a few small twinges that didn't turn into full blown. I had one major attack last night. There is no pattern to what causes them or what "heals" them. Last night's was probably about 20 seconds, but the pain is so intense that I do cry out and worry that it will never stop. This is controlling my life, causing me to be afraid to do anything or go anywhere unless my husband is with me, although he can do nothing to help. I had a very thorough neurological test about three weeks ago which included the electric shock nerve tests and needle tests. I also had an ultrasound on the same day. Nothing showed anything wrong. Both legs were tested with the neurological tests.  They were both just fine. Two days later I had a small attack and last night the major attack. I know this doesn't help you any, except to let you know you are not alone. What your husband posted about you describes me perfectly. I have not had an MRI.
I am sorry you are also going thru this strange thing I wish I had answers for you also..I do know that right now I am in a lessened stage of this ,I have looked into it it and I beleive it is a neroma on the nerve but cannot get help with it,I am planning to see a nerosurgeon if this continues....one suggestion that sounds weird but might be is it could be a strep that has a life cycle and when it is in the multyplying stage or dying out stage it could bring on the attacks.....IDK...I have printed these letters out and have given them to my GP who is also at a loss...its very scary but know the attack does have an end and breathe thru them...I don't end up very often on the floor anymore.I shift around till it subsides I have learned to live with it
Thank you for your encouragement. Have you ever had an attack in a public place where it caused you to "make a scene"? I am now afraid to go to plays, sing in church choir, etc. where I would be disrupting something if I had an attack. I canceled a long trip just this week because of the fear of having an attack while riding in the car with my sister, and because of the fear of having an attack while  making arrangements to fly home alone as standby. What if it happened on an airplane, or while waiting to board? I am so discouraged.

Also, I'm wondering if you take Lipitor.  I do, but I've been taking it for about four years. I was reading the possible side effects this morning and one of them is tendon problems.

Could you write to me at ***@****? I would like to discuss this in further detail.
Well, I see that my email address was not printed.
Virginia I am not on lipitor,were you ever diagnosed with a bakers cyst...sometimes I think it is that...I do get a feeling before the actual attack happens..listen to your body..it lets you know .....they are frightening I know but it is almost like I built up a tolerence to the pain after 2 1/2 years of this...do you sit alot? cross your legs alot,did you ever have RLS, which I do have...also certain vitamins  or deficiancy of vitamins  could also cause nerve pain...one thing that did help me was botox in my calf muscle...it stopped the cramp I would get after the attacks..my doctor also did a cortizone injection into the back of the knee..he was a nerologist a very nice one..where r u located...I hope some of this helps
No, I don't have a Baker's cyst. I was checked for that. Your symptoms and after-effects are somewhat different from mine after all. I have no advance warning whatsoever, which is why it is so scary. I have no after-effects except fear.
I consider myself moderately active.
I have not had RLS.
I live in Illinois.
I am now referred to a well-respected orthopedic surgeon and maybe he will order an MRI.
Thanks for trying to help me.
Dear Virginia ,it seems that I have spoke too soon regarding my condition,this has to of been the most excruciating week of my life,I ended up in the er on Monday and themn again at Yale on wenesday,the attacks were non-stop, but the joke is Yale thought I was looking for drugs when all I was looking for were answers, I finally got in with a Yale nerologist and the appointment is June 17th,which is a joke because I may be in my little remission by then.One thing that is seeming to help this time is stretching,really stretching,hurdle stretches andyoga stretches,yesterday it started at work,I own a nail salon and sit for periods of time and it didn't bother me all day because I stretched in the morning,but then I had gotten to unbelieveable zaps in the back of my knee ,brought me to tears.but I stretched really stretched it out and it stopped,they woke me up again this morning but I am able to rotate my legs hips back whatever to make it subside. I was thinking of you all week when I was experiencing this.I hope maybe some of this helps you also...T
I am so sorry you have had a bad week. My week has been well . . . no attacks since the Monday night after Easter.
I, too, have purchased a Yoga video and I do it a little when I am home alone. I can't do the floor exercises though because I get dizzy lying flat like that . . . and on the floor the dizziness is worse.
I found some videos online that show certain other stretching exercises for knee pain which I think is like ours.
I make a point to simply stretch whenever I think about it.
If you haven't seen this, please watch some of these videos about the piriformis muscle and pain.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7U1nRpxZuM
also Looked into saphenous nerve impingement and alot of the symptoms were the same I posted it in the other forums Google "nerve entrapment of the lower extremities and this really good one came up with all the different nerves theyre clinical finding symptoms ect....hope this helps.....had to take a pill last night the pain was so bad and then today......almost nothing I went to church kneeled went grocery shopping cleaned the house...but who knows what will be tommorrow?????
Please keep us posted. My wife has been experiencing the exact same symptoms you described earlier. These random attacks are described as electric shocks and last about 10 seconds, except hers are behind her calf muscle. She has one or two per day. These attacks started after she gave birth to our daughter so we suspect it has something to do the childbirth trauma?  I'm starting to think it's possibly Piriformis Syndrome, but not sure. MRI of her back and nerve tests have all come back negative. It's very frustrating. We're going to seek out a Neurologists next.
So Sorry she is experiencing this too.mine started more behind the knee and into the calve but now they are just more concentrated to the back of the knee,but who knows what the next attacks will  be like ,please keep us informed, it is the stangest thing, sometimes i think it is the bakers cyst draining onto the nerves but I don't know.It is very frustrating
I was 15 days without an attack. I had one jolt in a swimming pool this morning.
My MRI had showed nothing but common age-related ailments around my knee . . . nothing that would cause electric-shock like pain. I do have a small Baker's cyst but was told that they are no longer removed because they come back.
Yesterday all day I had lower back (below the waist) pain and feeling of swelling around my knee. I'm realizing that the lower back pain is often a precursor to knee attacks.
I had this exact pain last year.  It started when I was pregnant and funnily enough (it's not funny I know) after I did some Yoga.  I recall how desperate I was, I am quite a dramatic person anyway but I can honestly say that I did not think I was going to make it through the pregnancy because of this pain.  I did however, it's now ten months later. You know that twinge thing that you get in your eye when you are tired, well I've had a bit of that in the same place, ie back of the knee but I had the electric shocks in my hands  a few months ago.  It is so frightening and not helped by the unpredictability.  When it happened in my hands I managed to get a pen and draw a line exactly where the pain was, it was almost as though I could see what I was feeling because it was so specific.  I couldn't get a GP appointment for ages and the pen washed off but since I have had nerve testing and an MRI scan - all fine as is the case with everyone else it seem.  Good news in one respect but it still leave us sufferers stranded and isolated.  When I was pregnant I printed off previous posts and took them to my consultant and to my GP, they didn't even want to read them.  I tried explaining ".......look, these people have exactly the same thing and nobody knows of the cause" thinking that they would begin research and find a cure.  Instead, they sent me to the fracture clinic to check out a potential Bakers Cyst - I could have told them it wasnt that and I dont even know what one is.......the name just did not do the pain justice.  It should be called 'torturers weapon of choice disease' .  

Anyway, I hope my rantings bring some comfort or at least musing to other people who are suffering.  I remember what a relief it was to find others who knew how I felt.

If any sufferers are ever diagnosed correctly don't forget us who are still flailing around on the floor in agony, gasping for breath and screaming so much the neighbours begin to avoid us.........post your cure.

Thank you and good luck

Julia
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am still undiagnosed.
Life continues. It continues to be controlled by this horrid back of knee pain. I had an MRi and all it showed was some wear and tear which was not major. It also showed a very small Baker's Cyst and another type of cyst which all those medical people involved say would not produce the shock-type of pain.
So, back to my primary doctor. Now he is going to refer me to Southern Illinois Univ. (school of medicine I think),in Springfield to another neurologist and to see if I can get a Botox injection in my knee. He says it might help for six months.
The primary says he thinks I might have neuralgia even though that is not known to affect anyone as far down as the knees.
By the way, my attacks have been every few minutes for the last three nights and days. They are usually split-second attacks, but the pain level is still a ten and they come every few minutes, as I said. I've been crying a lot from the emotional pain.
In the meantime, the primary gave me a prescription for a strong narcotic pain medicine . . . not that it will prevent the attacks, but that they might not feel as sharp. We'll see.

Same problem here... it started 2 months back and in the beginning i simply neglected it and now i get it more frequently than before especially today got these shocks couple of times which made me sit and explore in online...i m afraid i did not see a POTENTIAL reason for this problem or any educative reply to this except that people like me are writing here for a solution. Astonishingly this particular problem is so common that .. knee looks like quite normal... no swelling...no known accident to the leg and no extra effort on the leg as well but i am getting this sudden shock which makes me tumble for a fraction of second and when it comes...pain is like hell for a fraction of second...Time to consult a orthopedic i guess...High Time...prevention is better than cure !
First of all, I'm very relieved to hear I'm not the only one who has this, I'm a 46 year old male, this has been going on for about a year.  It's my left knee only how about all yours?  I took a hard fall to my left hip just before these pains started, I don't know if it is related though.  I have a very high threshold for pain and the one I had today felt like a 220 volt shock to the back of my knee.  I'm a contractor so I know what a 220 shock feels like.  I'd also like to add that it shuts your whole body down for that millisecond of number 10 pain.  Has anybody had this previous to 2 1/2 years ago?  I don't take any medication, but I do have lower back pain on the opposite side.  I thought I was having heart attacks so I had my wife look this up online.  
I had thought I was "cured" until this morning when I had a small knee jolt again.
I've now had MRI of my knee and entire back with nothing major found.
I got a cortisone shot July 21 which seemed to make pain worse for a day and a half, then I was completely healed for two weeks. I'd been having all-day attacks (every few minutes) which drove me to the shot. BUT, two weeks later, the front of knee started knocking with every step. At first it didn't hurt but after half a day there was one huge knock with excruciating pain. The pain lingered a few minutes. I could put no weight on the knee after that.
Went to another orthopedic doctor who said my knee cap was slightly too far to the right and so out of its groove. I used Advil, Bengay, ice, rest and got a knee brace for compression.
I'm now scheduled to start physical therapy tomorrow to strengthen one muscle.
I still don't think the answer to the electric jolts has been found.
I started this post, I have dealt with this pain on and off for almost three years now...the thing that helps me the most are Vitamin B12 shots,I found out I was deficiant with pernicious anemia,you want to be tested make sure your numbers are well above 500,also stretching I do every leg stretch known to man ,i have actually stopped an attack by stretching,not sure if I moved the nerve out of the way or moved my back,l4 l5 discs are herniated....it is very interesting that one of you said they fell.I too took a really bad fall and injured the opposite hip there was a hairline fracture before all the shocks happened......it is the craziest thing this pain...they dont scare me as much as they used too.....its funny how you get used to things....also one more suggestion when I stretch I feel very tight in the affected legs glute area....someone once said piniformis syndrome...which some of the symptoms were the same...again hope this helps some of you...also drink tons of water as dehydration can cause nerve problems......
About 6 or 7 years ago I had this problem which describes EXACTLY as the original post of this thread... the pains were very random and sudden, debilitating... I don't remember how long it lasted, randomly throughout a year or two, then suddenly was gone. Not something I would ever forget.

Here it is 6 years later and then suddenly came that familiar pain! I was like "OH NO - NOT AGAIN" Yep here I am again in full force with this painful situation. I looked up a nerve chart and found the Lateral Sural nerve exactly in the vicinity of my pain. My pain is in my left leg behind the knee only. I can feel the thumping of the nerve with my fingers as each electrical shock strikes, very rapidly. Sometimes it's just one or two shocks, many times its 10 or 20, then will cease for a couple seconds then strike again another 10 or so shocks... maybe repeat a couple more times... Walk, sit, stand, sleep, it is not picky, it can strike at any time.

Years ago I was diagnosed with Spondylolothesis  which means my tail bone was separated from my spine by a fall... in which I do get pinched nerves and numbness in my left thigh and I have sciatica spells and some RLS which has been recent.

Somewhere I think we are having an inflamed or pinched nerves. Since both of my bouts with this problem has been since my fall and the Spondy... I don't know... I would think a pinched nerve in my tailbone would cause a shock down the whole leg, not just localized in one little 3 inch spot behind my knee.  
Hi... I feel your pain... I know exactly what you are experiencing! When I first read your husband's start to this forum, I thought my husband wrote it... I am also 5'3", average the same weight and just a couple years older.  I know it is a huge coincidence that I am also a nail tech because I have not practiced in 4 years although I do maintain my license.
Am sure you read my post before this one. My first year+ episode was when I was a practicing nail tech. I doubt it's a coincidence because I went into a relapse before finishing my practice. However, I do cross my legs a LOT! I remember the nuns at Catholic school would swat hands with a ruler to make you uncross legs... I am a chronic crosser lol.
Anyway... it is a huge coincidence that the other day, I was digging through all my old nail inventory (looking for the french white polish to touch of a counter top), smelling all those familiar smells.... kinda nostalgic... then a couple days later... my second bout begins... too much of a coincidence for sure as I am sure all of these other sufferer's are not associated with nail shops. But I was breathing in the smells of the monomer etc...
We know it's real. Next time you go to a doctor, mention that Sural nerve. Better yet, find a leg nerve chart and spot the nerve and see if that is where your pain is. If you agree, then surely that has to be our problem.
I hope you find relief... since my new bout has just re-erupted, I am hoping it will go back into remission as it did before, even if I have to wait a year or two to find out.
Bless your heart.
Since your's was the very first post, and the one that made me feel I am not alone, I simply want to thank you for keeping us all up to date and with your ideas.
I wish there were an in-person support group somewhere. Does anyone know of one in Illinois?
You all seem to have quieted down. I'm lonely. My shocks are coming every day now and I, of course, never know how they will actually be. They also wake me up from sleep or near-sleep. That is the most aggravating of all. I need to rest mentally, emotionally and physically.
Now my whole leg has begun to ache and there's a lot of swelling around my knee area. I just finished seeing a physical therapist for a few weeks for arthritis pain but it has done no good for the shocks.
I am ready to give up. I can't cope with my housework, hubby care and everything else that has to be done. I am afraid to drive but some situations are coming up that will demand I drive about a hundred miles. I am a person of faith, but seem to have lost it. When I am home alone, I mostly just sit and cry. No medicines or doctors have helped at all.
My wife gets these pains from time to time. She tends to get them if she's been sitting for an extended period of time. I've done some research and am leaning towards Piriformis Syndrome.

I found this demo, it's a guy that shows you how to stretch in the event you have Piriformis.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFtUgS69rPk

My wife started doing these, in fact she has noticed that when she started, the pains went away for a few days. I think the key is to do these everyday and make it a routine.

Maybe it's just coincedence, but so far so good. She will get them from time to time, but the stretching technique seems to definitely help.

On a side note, I thought the mention of Spondylolothesis was intestesting since she also fell on her tailbone a few years ago, although her pain was pretty immediate after child birth. It's definitely nerve related. Could have been the trauma from child birth, the epidural, who knows.

Try the stretches and good luck!
Thank you.

I think I've seen that video before but will have to refer back to it.
I had a major attack this morning about 45 minutes after getting up. I've suffered for a year now with this. I'm taking Gabapentin and was hoping it was working, but after this morning's attack, I have no idea. I suffer through the pain, then cry from the emotional pain.
i have the same Exact pain and symptoms you have...ended up in ER few times, excruciating pain like electric shocks again and again zapping...sometimes comes in the middle of the night. i started having it after I started taking tamoxifen for Breast cancer..tamoxifen causes arthritis, had all kinds of tests, all normal though. The only treatment HELPED is steroids, (medrol dose pack). It completely took away the pain for some time, but if, start using my knees,, exercise, it starts again..then i start steroids again. so it's some kind inflammation which irritates the sciatic or peroneal nerve there. i hope it helps.
Hi Virgina, I'm Mick's wife.  I'm so sorry to hear you are still feeling this unbearable pain!  I have seen my husband jolt when he gets one of these shocks and the way he describes the pain sounds worse than childbirth!  I see that a few people have written about falling on their hips or tailbone previous to the pain just like my husband and so we are leaning towards believing that the fall on his opposite hip is what started this "nerve" pain in the back of the knee.  (I guess)  Since we posted our only comment back in July, he has only had 3 or 4 attacks since then, and none in the last...probably 3 months.  You mentioned you have lower back pain that you kind of associate with the shocks.  Is it possible you injured your hip, tailbone or back?    

I fear you may have had so many medical procedures done to your knee that you may have to recover from those before you are going to feel any relief. I sincerely sympathize with you, my husband says one of the hardest parts is trying to portray just how extremely painful these shocks are to those who don't know.  

But the scariest thing you wrote...not the pain...not your inability to clean house...but that you are loosing your faith!!  Now is not the time to give up on your faith or your life.  Don't be afraid to drive those 100 miles, do it - get up and do anything you want to do - don't live in fear and let the pain win!  You CAN get past this - say a prayer, tell this pain you are done with it, get over the swelling and other damage that may have been caused and get back to living.  God doesn't want you to have this life, he wants you to stop crying and start laughing.  This pain will only be here for a season, but you need your Faith for a lifetime.

Your pain is real and it is here for a reason.  I don't know what that reason is, but I know your story has helped us and I'm sure it has helped many others.  Keep the Faith and lose the pain, let God run your life, not the pain.
Please see the private message I sent you.

Thanks for your encouragement for all of us.
I hope Mick's wife's comment above has helped others in addition to me.
I had my  neuro appointment today and I had a major attack right there in his office in mid-sentence. I'm glad it happened. Now he knows what we are all talking about. I had a very hard day in general (numerous milder jolts) but it ended well with a two-hour nap on the couch. Now I wish it were morning so I could get going for real again.
After seeing the intensity of my pain (crying level), the neuro worked out a schedule that will increase my Gabapentin over the course of about a week. I will end up taking 3600MG per day.
I hope it doesn't make me loopy again or too clumsy or tremory. Is that a word? I doubt it. :) I am a former proofreader.
Still thinking of all of you too . . .
I am doing better for the time being, but this was my week last week:
Monday went to E.R. for the worst attack I'd ever had. The pain was not only in its normal place, but also going half way up my leg in back and also half way down. The E.R. trip was useless except that I got 15 tabs of Hydrocodone. I've been taking half a tab before I go places, as a precaution and hopefully prevention.
Tuesday: was very vomiting sick all day
Wednesday: went to my husband's new ortho who assured me there is nothing wrong with my knee and otherwise was no help at all . . . another wasted trip in general. Gave me a prescription for Celebrex which I won't likely fill. After all, . . . he said there's nothing wrong with my knee except a little beginning arthritis.
Thursday: younger son and wife came a day early to beat the storm
Friday (Christmas Eve): had to cancel our plans because of storm
Saturday: good day with both sons, wives and family
Sunday: good day today
Conclusion: very little pain since trip to E.R. Oh, I just remembered: under guidance of neurologist, I have increased Gabapentin to the maximum dose over the course of this past week. Maybe that's why I've been better.
I seem to be the last person standing in this forum. Humor was intended.

I am still doing well and hope the rest of you are also. I've started to get out and about again which involves me driving myself around town (very easy to get around here), but it took courage to start driving again.
Also, I've decided this is the year to stop reading so much health information and concentrate on reading the fun stuff!!!!!!!

We are all over-saturated with health news.
This exact electrifying episode began for me last Fri Feb 25-2011.   I was scheduled to fly to Denver from home in NoCal the next day and cancelled trip for fear it would get worse or be completely debilitating.  No warnings before the episode...I was walking down my hall and not carrying anything.   I caught myself before I fell to my knees and it was several seconds of rocking my left leg back and forth and then it 'caught' and I finally could straighten my leg and go on.  It happened several more times that night and I was extremely frightened.  Background:  I am an overweight 57 yr. old female, living alone with my 2 dogs in a tri level home on 12 acres.  I work at a desk full time but am very active at home with chores, firewood, housekeeping, maintenance, yard work etc.  I love being outside.  Due to degenerative disk disease, I had TKR left in 2003 and right knee in 2004.  Yes, I was young but I was 'bone IN TO bone'.   It was a necessary fix for quality of life.  Both knee replacements have been relatively uneventful until 6 mos ago when both knees started 'popping', primarily in bed lying on my side.  As a result, my orthopod x-rayed both knees last Nov. and said both prosthetics look good still, everything in alignment.  Showed a small bone spur growing that might be causing the pain he said.   After the Fri. night and Sat. am episodes, I phoned Anthem and the on-call orthopod and they both said to go to the ER.   I did, and 3 more X-rays show zilch, which I figured, because I had assumed this was a soft tissue problem.  The ER doctor put me in a Velcro full leg brace and said to see my ortho ASAP.  I did yesterday.  He says an MRI won’t show anything because all of the hardware in my knee will just appear as a ‘sunburst’.   He told me not to wear the brace as it stresses my other knee too much.   He ordered blood work to look for inflammation; I have no swelling or tenderness….and an MRI of my back.  Said sometimes even tho I have NO back pain, something could be going on there causing the pain.  So I am awaiting insurance approval for that.  He also wants me to do 8 episodes of physical therapy, which has me a little nervous.  I am keeping a legend of how often and approx. frequency of these episodes.  I am using one crutch for now, which is extremely frustrating as I am normally a fast walker and always moving.   It ***** to be able to only carry in one piece of firewood at time!   My woodstove is my heat and I cook on it too.
I have taken Lipitor and Celebrex for years; Vicodin AN for pain, baby aspirin and HCTZ.  I have a mostly organic, vegetarian diet and occasional alcohol and marijuana use.  
I will certainly post more as I learn more.  
I'm so sorry you are also a shocking person, but am so glad you decided to write about it. I'm still trying to figure out what I have in common with others, so here's the scoop on you and I:

both overweight, close in age, take Lipitor, no pre-episode warnings, both do some sitting but also active, both have some extra spur-type growth in back of knee, I used to be a fast walker before I became shockingly slow,also  take a baby aspirin.
My wife has had all your symptoms and all her tests were negative also. It's so frustrating. All these threads are from females and not males. Is this related to female reproductive organs? My wife is on angeliq hrt and has been taking and mirilax for 2 years. I have found that less than 1% mirilax users have nerve compression problems? Can this be? We are now going to a chiropractor and nuerologist to seek relief and cause. Help!
No, it apparently doesn't have anything to do with "female stuff"
because in this and other forums there have been posts from men.

I am almost seven months free of the shocks. My neurologist finally decided it is neuralgia and I still take the maximum dose of Gabapentin (Neurontin).

I still have many moments of fear. I'm just afraid my "luck" won't hold out although the neuro said there should be NO break-through pain . . . but there was one major attack back in February.

I have to believe in prayer. I have also become good email friends with a man and his wife because of this mysterious shocking pain.
wow, I am so encouraged no pain for you for 7 months. my wife had a steroid injection and her attacks were once a day, now twice a day and she is starting freaking out. she is on 300mg of lyrica, because gabapentin gave her headaches. do you attribute your lack of pain from strictly gabapentin or anything else? how many mg of gabapentin? we do notice that her shocks seem to be while she is sitting or driving. we are headed back to pain doc next week. the wierd thing is that all 8 docs have no diagnosis yet and have not seen something like this.
I attribute my lack of pain, as far as medicine goes, to Gabapentin 600MG two tablets three times a day EVERY day! It's a prevention, not something you take after the shock begins.  By the way, it is the same medicine that epileptics take to prevent seizures. It works in the brain. I think it supplies a needed hormone that might be lacking. I'd have to study again to make sure that is right.
It's either the medicine, or God himself that is working. I can't say which for sure. It doesn't really matter, as long as the shocks are not occurring.
I used to have shocks all day long and would just sit and cry. When I had my last attack, I told my husband in all seriousness, "I wish I could just die a natural death and get it over with" even though I have a pretty good life otherwise and have grandchildren to live for.
I spent a year and a half going from doctor to doctor (all kinds) and none have heard of this type of pain. I TELL THEM TO GO TO SOME ONLINE FORUMS! I copied pages of stories from other people like you and took them to doctors.
The bottom line is that when this first started, my primary doctor SAID it was neuralgia although there were no studies of anyone who had ever had it so low in the body. He thought a Botox shot behind my knee might help temporarily, but my insurance would not pay for it. Neither would my husband. That's hateful, I know. We could have afforded it.
So, I went to about 12 different doctors in that time period until I finally landed with this particular neurologist. One time I had a very severe attack in his office and he said, "I never realized how bad the pain was." I was sobbing.
He says there is one more medicine he could add if I ever do need it. I forgot what it is, but it starts with a T.
My very first attack was when I was driving . . . two years ago this month. They continued just whenever though, no matter what I was doing. Sometimes they woke me from a deep sleep, one time I was in a swimming pool, just anytime. I'm sorry to be discouraging, but that's how it is.
My best to you. You have to keep pounding the doors of those doctors and RAISE THEIR AWARENESS OF THIS MONSTER!!!
Good grief, I didn't know my previous post was so long!
I want to tell you that I live in Rantoul, IL and my neurologist is Dr. Shyu at Christie Clinic in Champaign, IL.
Does your wife take Omeprazole (Prilosec)? I started taking it about the same time my shocks started. My neurologist suggested I switch to something else (for heartburn), so now I take Famotidine. Unfortunately, I'm almost 62 and have too many invisible age-related ailments to be able to use the scientific theory to rule out this or that.
Thanks for all your posts on this.  I don't know if I have exactly what you have, but it's close.  I have been pretty normal without any real health problems so far in life.  I'm 41 and out of the blue about 3 weeks ago the worst pain imaginable hit the inside of my left knee for less than a second.  It was so bad I threw down what I had in my hands.  Everyone kind of laughed and asked what in the world happened.  Now there are more of them happening.  They only last for a second but they seem to be increasing in the number.  Instead of one, it will be 8 or 10 in a minute and then they are gone. They are bad though.  It's like it hits so hard my brain doesn't have time to process what is happening.  Tonight I fell to the ground because one hit and it was so painful, I was laying on the ground before my brain realized it was one of the electric shock pains that put me there.  What the heck is this?
I hope it is, as my neurologist and a previous primary doctor suspected . . . I hope it is neuralgia. I hope mine is being prevented by taking Gabapentin, which is actually primarily an anti-seizure medication. Please, all of you, go to a neurologist and talk to him about trying this medicine. You'll get your life back if it works for you. I take the maximum dose. You have to work up to that much, if you indeed need it.
Your pain sounds exactly like mine was. Sometimes for a split-second, but I had a few that lasted 10 minutes apiece. Sometimes off and on all day long for days at a time.
I have found some significant research that indicates that Omeprazole and also Metformin can indeed lead to vitamin B12 deficiency, which can in turn cause nerve damage. I started taking Omeprazole in early October 2009 and had my first neuralgia attack in early November 2009. I quit taking Omeprazole in late May 2011. I had my last bad attack in late February 2011.
I also have taken Metformin for about a year.
Now I have weaned off the Gabapentin to see if the pain returns. Hopefully the Omeprazole was the culprit and the pain will not return.
I had my B12 tested yesterday because I've also been very fatigued and depressed. I will get results late this week.
i am 28 years old and just recently started having sharp shooting insane pains behind my left knee. they come and go here n there but usually seem 2 happen when ive been on my feet all day and most the night(i have 2 young children) the pain used to be short and fast and i could apply pressure and rub it away but lately the pain lasts longer and nothing helps. i have not seen a dr i just started 2 research this and i found u so i just thought id share..i hope u find relief and pain free days!
My B12 was fine. Started taking Prozac about a month ago for the depression. Neurologist does not think going off Gabapentin caused the depression but I've seen forums online which indicate otherwise.
I've had no neuralgia pain since March 2011, praise God!
I too am experiencing a shocking pain behind my right knee. I am 48, 5' 4" about 148 lbs. It just started about a week ago. I was sitting outside with a friend & I felt like I had just been electrocuted behind my right knee. I threw whatever I had down & jumped up screaming. My friend didnt know what happened. When I explained that it felt like I was electrocuted she didnt know what to think. She & my husband both said it was probably a muscle spasm. Anyway, it happened again last night & about 4 more times this morning. I have had muscle spasms before & this is not the same at all. I am at a loss. So glad to hear that someone else is experiencing this & I am not crazy. Please let me know if anyone figures what this is & what I can do. Thanks, SherryB63
Again, I would recommend seeing a neurologist and asking him about Gababentin (generic for Neurontin). I am off of it now and not experiencing shocks. I've been off  it for three months. He thinks perhaps I had a weird side effect from Omeprazole (Prilosec) which I took for heartburn. Since going off that, my shocks have not occurred. It's simply speculation.
I'm back, with some shocking news. My back of knee shocks have begun again but I am restarting the Gabapentin at a low dose at first to hopefully nip it in the bud. When the pain is the worst, I also take two  Advil and that seems to calm it down.
I was pain-free for a year and a half and for six months of that time I was not medicated. So the good news is that this CAN go away for long periods of time.
I've had a few mild attacks which hardly bothered me but they have been increasing in frequency and pain lately. Last night I had a horrendous attack while sitting on the couch which left me crying. I think I had about 15 or so jolts (hard to remember exactly) over about 2 or 3 minutes and they were so intense my whole leg was jolting and lifting off the footrest. Very scary.
I've had psoriatic arthritis in both knees for 15 years and have tried nearly ever drug available. I am very drug resistant (actually my Rheumytologist calls me a drug freak) and at the moment I am on Methotrexate, Humira and Naproxen. Last year I started getting bakers cysts in my left knee - I have lost track of how many have swollen, burst and the drained into my calf. Very, very painful. And now this. Absolutely awesome though to find so many people with the same kind of pain.   : )
I am male 45 215lbs.  I have had this same electric shock-like pain in my left knee.  Although I don't think this is standard Piriformis Syndrome I do believe it is related to the piriformis pinching the sciatica. I have noticed attacks trigger after long periods of sitting and then anytime once aggravated.  

I joined a gym and began regularly working my leg muscles and the attacks stopped.  I didn't go to the gym one week and the attacks returned...I no longer skip the gym ;-)

A great stretch for the Piriformis muscle is to get down on all fours and cross one of your legs back and over the other leg like you are reaching out with that leg.  Now squat down with your supporting leg.  If you are in the middle of an attack this may not be a good idea but it is good to do when working out or stretching.
I'm 28 years old and recently started feeling shocked in the back of my left leg over a month ago ... the pain is EXCRUCIATING, which it seems everyone unfortunately knows :( has anyone had a diagnosis? I went to the orthopedist and had tests done for blood clots and a torn meniscus...both tests came back normal.

I'm petrified. I went two weeks without an attack, and then just had one a day for two days in a row and the back of my leg is now so sore and I'm so scared waiting to get "shocked" again.

Has anybody gotten a diagnosis?
I hadn't looked at this forum for a long time because I've been non-medicated and pain-free for about eight months now. The shocks can still come back, however. My diagnosis is "neuralgia" and when I start having attacks I am able to get back on Gabapentin under my doctor's supervision. I go to a neurologist who is very kind. I'd tried everything else.
im glad to find im not alone! this just started for me. notice most are L leg...i wonder why