Eye problems
Hi, I am 23 years old and I have been suffering from a problem my entire life; to most people my problem may seem unimportant or shallow, but to me it is everything. It effects me in more ways than anyone can imagine. Since I was little I have been unable to talk or hold a conversation without my eyes looking upward, no matter what I do my eyes appear as though they are always looking to sky even though to my perspective my eyes are focused on the other person's face.

I have been able to deal with this problem by using ways to distract someone from paying attention to my eyes while talking to me (by playing with my hair or looking down to the floor to talk, I have also tried talking really fast so that I do not have to speak for very long). I have tried to hide it for years; however it is always the first thing people notice. It is especiall affecting my life now because I am coming to the end of Medical Assistant school and starting interveiws for my externship that require me to be able to look employers in the face.

I have spoken to an Opthalmologist about this condition and have recieved no answers.  I was thinking that my problem goes beyond the eyes and is possibly a neurological problem or possibly a psychological but I have not sought help in either of those feilds as of yet. I am looking for advice, and possibly an answer or a name to this disorder, I have read the text books, the medical dictionaries and the online help but I am getting nowhere and hope that with help I could solve my problem.
Hi.

There are certain things that I would like to ask you. Does this happen all the time when you are talking? How about when you are singing? Do you notice this occurring when you are talking on the phone with someone? How about when you are alone and start talking, does this happen?

If the answers to the above questions are all no, there is a significant possibility that what you are experiencing is more psychological than somatic in origin. It might be best to talk to a counselor or psychologist about your condition.

There is also a possibility that what you have is some form of a tic. You should probably have this assessed also.

Hope this helps in any way.

Good luck.
If this is a tic or if it psychological is there anyway of getting rid of it?  I feel like if it was a tic I would be able to control it because I am aware of it.

let's say I did go to a psychologist or counselor what would they do to cure it?
Hi.

Theoretically, yes. Simple tic disorders can be treated with medications and other non-pharmacologic treatment and this has been reported to have had some measure of success.

Not all tics can be controlled (voluntary). Some tics are involuntary and are difficult to control, especially in more severe tic disorders such as Tourette's syndrome.

Psychotherapy can possibly be of help in your condition. It can help with any accompanying problems that may be present, such as ADHD, obsessions, depression and anxiety and it can also help people cope emotionally.

Hope this answers your queries.
Thank you for being so quick with your responses I appreciate your advice and find it helpful. I failed to mention earlier that I have been told in the past that I might have a learning disorder, and since you did mention accompanying problems I thought I would bring this up, would it have something to do with it.