Filum Terminale Lipoma?
When I was very young I had a lump start growing on my back. I never though twice about it till about two moths ago. I've been have severe back pain and headaches for about a year and a half and went to a neurologist for the headaches who put me on antidepressants and a chiropractor for my back. The pain has gone to about a 6 from a 8. I finally decided to have the lump looked at and my mom told me it was called a lipoma. I went to a dermatologist who sent me for an MRI. I can't get anyone to give me a straight answer of what it says:

" There is a linear area of fatty signal along the dorsal aspect of the canal thickening at the superior aspect of L1 and extending to the mid L2 level consistent with a lipoma of the filum terminale. This measures 0.4cm in max transverse dimension and 3.7 cm in length. The superior aspect extends along the dorsal aspect of the distal cord. The distal cord is in normal signal. L1-L2. There is an incomplete fusion of the posterior elements of the L4 vertebral body consistent with spinal dysraphism. There is an adjacent area of linear low T1 signal within the subcutaneous fat. Findings may be related to a small residual dermal sinus tract. There is no canal stenosis. The conus medullaris is in normal position."

What is going on. Is it just below the skin subq level or is it in the actual filum terminale or spinal cord. I can't even figure out what kind of doctor to go see. Anyone?

I have been diagnosed with  this lipoma of the filum terminale.  What is it ?  Hopefully just fatty tissue.  I was referred to Vanderbilt Medical Hospital in Nashville.  I am praying that it is something SIMPLE.

My doctor told me that this is rare.  Only certain places and doctors will do the treatment.  I will be going for a consultation in a couple of weeks.

Maybe you need to go back to your doctor and ask more questions. I will be going to another neurosurgeon. I hope it is nothing serious and May God bless you.

Dee
If it is a lipoma you can have one of two types, a regular lipoma subcutaneous (under the skin) or a lipoma that has grown into the nerves or tissues containing nerves. and is called a fibroma. As expected the Fibroma is more of a serious problem because it has to be seperated from the nerve tract as the simple lipoma is not attached to the nerve but does impinge and crush on nerves in close proximity to the lipoma. The best way to test if the lipomas (either kind) can be tested with a numbing agent and injections around the lipoma. You will feel some degree of relief if not total relief for a short period of time. You can get an MRI but the signs are usually unambiguous and do not show well on MRI. The best way to Identify and relieve the pain on a permanent basis is to explore the area surgically, micro surgery preferrably but usually have to make an open incision. The pain will rarely if ever go away and can get much worse especially in the case of any kind of accidents or anything that can injure the area further. This is my advice because I've been injured a few times and my pain got far worse especially when one of my lipomas herniated after a car ran a red light and t-boned my car and two other lipomas ruptured. It took me many doctors and had to finally go out and find a doctor to convince him to surgically repair the area by removing the lipomas after injections showed that these were indeed creating a pain syndrome throughout my right side. This is how I'm dealing with these little genetic terrorists cause far more havoc than it seems like any doctor could get his hypocrite mind could get around. Major triggers for these pain syndromes sre from some type of accident or injury. Look at this site, it may give you a starting place http://www.dynamicchiropractic.com/mpacms/dc/article.php?id=31867
Sorry for the sloppy writing, I tried typing way to fast without proofreading. Anyway, the best way is to get injections in the area that the lipoma is in but if you have others it is a good idea to check those as well. My lipomas cause neck, jaw pain and headaches from a lipoma in my low back which doctors say is impossible but it's not. I finally got a doctor to believe me ( a plastic surgeon no less) and guess what? The impossible is possible!!! I've found that the only pain relief from these are from removal and that's sad but the only way so far. No way to shrink or fix that I've found.

Thanks, I hope this helps