Fluid collection in posterior and left graft material L3-L5
I have had extensive lumbar surgery including bilateral vertebral body and pedicle screws at L2-3 and diskectomy fusion with magnetic susceptibility artifact at each disc space from L3-S1.

I have been having a lot of pain in my right hip extending to thigh and ankle.  In addition, the pain sometimes is in the left side or across the back.  Right leg seems weak.  Also, headaches.

Recently had an MRI and this was the impression:

Multilevel surgical findings with mild right foramina crowding at L5-S1.  Fluid like appearance in the posterior and left graft material especially at L3-mid L5.  Small fluid collections are not excluded, which could be serous, posthemorrhagic, postsurgical, or postinfectious and/or inflammatory.  These areas are not well defined on transverse plane images.  Suggest stacked T2 images from L2-S1, sagittal stir images, and stacked postcontrast T1 images over the same area to better define.

What does this impression mean and/or indicate?

Can you please help me with this mri report?

I have been having a lot of pain in my right hip extending to thigh and ankle. In addition, the pain sometimes is in the left side or across the back. Right leg seems weak. Also, headaches.

Multilevel surgical findings with mild right foramina crowding at L5-S1. Fluid like appearance in the posterior and left graft material especially at L3-mid L5. Small fluid collections are not excluded, which could be serous, posthemorrhagic, postsurgical, or postinfectious and/or inflammatory. These areas are not well defined on transverse plane images. Suggest stacked T2 images from L2-S1, sagittal stir images, and stacked postcontrast T1 images over the same area to better define.

My last surgery was two years ago.  I have done fine until about 5-6 months ago.  Then, it started and is getting worse.  

Do you know....if it is CSF or pus or posthemorragic would that necessarily mean surgery again?  Also, I have had a failed fusion before...just wondered if leakage could also mean the graft might not be in tact?

Thank you for your help.

Interpreting back MRI results is really not my speciality at all.  I was a pediatrician.  I've never been trained in it.  I am specially bad at understanding the implications of the findings.  Given that I will try

First I have never heard of "magnetic susceptibility artifact"  What is it?

The MRI:

Evidence that there was surgery at many levels (this you knew, lol)

There is crowding (jamming together) of the openings between the different vetabrae that the nerves pass through to the legs and feet, some to the pelvic area.

In the region of the surgical grafting L3 down to the middle of L5 there are places that look like areas of fluid collection.  These areas are not well seen so the radiologist can't really characterize them.  The reading suggests any type of fluid from tissue ''weeping", to blood clollections, or pockets of infectious fluid (pus).  The areas are just too unclear.  These areas are in the back and toward the left of the surgical graft area.

The radiologist suggests a repeat MRI with T2 imaging which helps to characterize fluid from other tissue and speciffies just how the surgeon should order the imaging.

Did you have this pain in your legs and weakness before the surgery ?  Also, when was the surgery?

I can't tell you what the implications of these findings are.  I'm sorry.  Quix
I'm so sorry.  I just don't know the answers to your questions.  Maybe someone else will.  You've certainly had a hard way to go.  Quix