Neurology Community
Head, Neck, and Left Arm pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Head, Neck, and Left Arm pain

Salutations,

Over the past year I have been suffering from cluster headaches, along with the general migraine. At least four times a month I am forced to take my Midrin or visit my PA for a shot of Toradol. Starting this past weekend, I've been experiencing sharp pounding pain right behind my left ear running down my neck into my left arm. When this was happening I had a hard time with my vision, along with coherency. I don't want to see my PA, I do not believe she will do anything to help me. The unfortuante part is that I am in the military and have to go through certain obstacles to even see a real MD instead of a PA. I'm I being a hypercondriac? Is this all just an illusion in my head? I am fatigued all the time now, all I want to do is sleep. I am already taking an antidepressant, I do not have depression symptoms except for the want to sleep most of the time.  I am only 26yrs old and I feel like I am so much older.

Thanks for any replies
Hi,Thank you for your question. In few cases of migraine or cluster headache, pain in the head , hand and arm numbness originate from the neck problems due to irritation in the cervical (neck) spine because the nerves that supply the back of the head start in the upper cervical spine. Mostly, this kind of head pain aggravates after turning head and typically occurs in patients with previous neck injuries and in patients with marked arthritis of the upper cervical spine. In addition, this pain exacerbate with prolonged sitting in a stooped posture and when working on a computers for long hours.  On the other hand, there are patients who experience similar pain with sinusitis (sinus with infected mucus) and migraine. If you suffer continuous pain at back of head, please arrange an appointment with a neurologist right away who will evaluate the possibilities here and can provide you an appropriate treatment. Hope this information proves helpful to you. Take Care & Regards!!!