Neurology Community
Head CT

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Head CT

I had a non contrast head CT done 3 days ago and got the report in the mail on friday.  Unfortunatly when I called the clinic my MD was out for the weekend and no one is there to explain the results to me. I am a 26 yo F and have had headaches daily for the past 3 months (I attributed them to stress as my husband unexpectedly passed away 3 months ago and then the headaches began). Over the past week the have change from a general 'tension' type headache to a throbing headache in the back of my head that intensifies with movement especially standing up or bending over. The report states 1. an extensive abnormal mucosal disease in the large right sphenoid sinus with air fluid level 2.and a  2X1.4 cm CSF density mass in the right velum interpositum suspicious for a benign arachnoid cyst and showing a minimal mass effect on the right lateral ventricle and splenium.
I have been able to find some infor on the internet about the cyst but nothing about the mucosal disease.....can you explain a little to get me by and put my mind at rest untill I can meet with my MD.
Hello.

Sorry to hear about your husband. May God bless his soul. This is a difficult phase for you. I hope you cope up with it.

The sphenoid sinus inflammation can be treated. The mucosal disease means inflammation. In simple terms, inflammation is a bodily reaction to any infection of injury. The mucosa has probably thickened and there is fluid collected.

This could be the main reason for your headaches. As for he cyst, many neurologist's believe the cyst does not produce symptoms. But if it has pressure effects, it may present as headaches, nausea and vomitting among other symptoms.

Please focus on treating the sinus disease.

I hope you come out of this stronger.

Regards