Head Noise
I have recently become aware of what can best be described as motor noises in my head.  I hear a lower pitched hum like I used to hear when a child with a fever.  I rarely run fevers as an adult.  Also, there is a higher pitch noise similar to a fan, or 'white noise'.  The sounds never change, and are muffled by day to day noise.  I notice them when it is quiet, like at night or if alone in the house.  Believe me, I have checked and it is not from an actual motor or fan running.  At night it gets so loud, like the old song "The sounds of silence".  Is this just the aging process or is it a symptom or am I crazy?  I do not even want to approach an MD for fear of being laughed at.
Hello.

Your symptoms of sounds in the ear are real. They may be related to increased pressure in the inner ear apparatus. Do you sometimes get feeling of fullness in the ears ? Do you have any other symptoms like nausea, vomiting or headache ?

Regards
Thank you for the fast reply.  I am not bothered by a feeling of fullness in my ears, but I may have felt it on occasion.  I am not bothered by N/V or HA, but I do find that my equilibrium is off a bit, as I may list to one side.  Should I visit with an ENT?

Roxyjavascript:submit_post_comments();
Hello, Roxy here again,  
I also have noted my hearing is worse, especially in noisy environments, such as a restaurant. One ear seems worse than the others, the one that I use a headphone on at work. Loud noises, such as clapping or my husband's loud singing hurt my ears. I am 55 years old.  
Awaiting your reply,
Roxy
Hi.

You seem to have increased sensitivity to sound. It will be a good idea to visit an ENT specialist. Certain 'on the table' hearing test will be done. And some objective tests for hearing will be done.

Regards
Thank you. I will make an appt.
Roxy313
Thanks GOD!   Now I know it is not just me that hears this just like you say, when I lay down at night & it is quiet!    I have bugged lots of people complaining about it and I thought of a lot of things it could be, but your sounds are identical to mine!   I can't believe this!   When you get up to go to the bathroom in the night when it is making the "noise" are you off balance?   I am.
I am driving my family crazy, the noise is making ME crazy, and I am in tears. It sounds like the dishwasher or washing machine runnning in the distance....and it is constant. I cannot sleep, for it is louder when the house is quiet. Tonight, I also hear a high pitched ringing in my ears...I think it is from the stress of the constant, low-pitch, motor sounding noise I have been hearing for two days. It stopped ealier today, so I have been driving the neighborhood to see if someone is working in a shop someone....I've found nothing.