Neurology Community
Headache that leads to a hot flash/burning feeling in body

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I had a terrible headache that started on the right side of my head in the back that worked it was on the top then all the way to the back of my eye. It was absolutly excrutiating sharp pain. Then all of a sudden my body got very hot it guess it was a like a hot flash.

Except I am a 21 year old male.

What could be causing this

I had a blood test, brain MRI and a 48 hour EEG done all were normal.
Some one, help? I can't get fast enough answers from my neurologist. I think I may be scheduled for an EMG next.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
The symptoms of headache may or may not be related to hot flashes. The nature of the pain suggests that it is a type of headache that is most commonly known as Ice pick headache. It is manifested by transient and localised stabs of pain in the head that occur spontaneously in the absence of pathology of  brain and nerves. The short, sharp and sometimes stabbing headaches are experienced near the orbit, temple, or parietal region. The people who have migraine and generalized anxiety disorder usually experience such headaches. Generalised anxiety disorder may also be a cause of hot flashes.
Some uncommon medical conditions may also cause hot flashes and disability of body to regulate temperature eg. Carcinoid tumour of adrenal glands. Hot flashes also develop as a side effect of some medications, due to severe infections, Panhypopituitarism or cancers. Please consult a physician for the diagnosis and management of the symptoms. Hope this helps you. Take care and regards!
Thank you for the reply, I called my Neurologist and he didn't seem concerned. He told me to come back in 2 months for a check up and we would go back from there. I do take Topamax but have been on it for 2.5 years.

I am on Topamax 100mg 2x a day for seizures, which are currently under control.

And like I said the MRI of the brain (no contrast) came back normal, EEG came back normal, Endocroine bloodtest came back normal and the 48 hour EEG came back normal...

Thank you for the response Dr Rajgopal